Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What Other Video Game Franchises Would You Like To See Adapted To T.V?

With Netflix's Castlevania being a critical success and a Devil May Cry animated series in the works, what other video games would you like to see adapted for t.v.?

For me:

Soul Calibur: The lore is fascinating and has tons of memorable and beloved characters. All of whom are from different countries which could help with international appeal.

Mortal Kombat: The first season of the web series, Mortal Kombat Legacy showed some promise but the second season failed to capitalize on it. I'd give it another shot especially given the recent games have gotten better at storytelling.

Ninja Gaiden: Admittedly not much in the way of story but I do think they could build something good out of it.

Jak and Daxter-Animated series similar to Clone Wars and Voltron Legendary Defender -As a teen Jak and Daxter was my jam so I wouldn't mind seeing more of this world and characters.

would Telltale Batman count as I loved this take on Batman and wouldn't mind seeing it continue in TV format, Live action or animated.

Tales of the Borderlands- same as the above
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-29-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Metal Gear immediately comes to mind. The latter games are basically CGI movies with some game play in between.

Assassins Creed is very cinematic and would work long form. Probably the closest to CastleVania as you can era jump.

Zelda could work if you tweaked a lot

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Yakuza - I don't know if a TV show will be able to capture the over the top action of the games but the crime drama elements would be ripe for TV.

Crash Bandicoot - now that he's relevant again the franchise would make for a great children's cartoon.

Red Dead Redemption - there isn't a western show on TV that I know of. Red Dead is the biggest game out right now and there's a ton of material to explore. A TV series could make for a good companion to the game.

Incredible Member

baldur's gate 2

Halo, which has been bounced around here and there over the years. Its had some mini-series, both live action and animated, but not a full on film.

Mass Effect Trilogy would be interesting, though it would force the director/Bioware to actually choose a canonical ending.

Yeah, Metal Gear would work best as a TV series or animation; the story is sort of too complex for a movie I think. Although the concept art looks pretty good and Vogt-Roberts is a fan, I'm not sure how he can crunch all of that unless he really deals with the most basic aspect of a skilled soldier battling a nuclear death robot.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I second assassins creed. Think it would work better as a HBO show. You need some money behind it but u dont need blockbuster film money. Etzio is still one of the best characters in games imo so I'd love to see that explored. Also dont make the **** I subtitles. The animus gives you a built in reason they are speaking English dont make me read Spanish subtitles like the last movie.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I agree on Assassins Creed. It has all the things there to make a really great series. For the life of me I will never understand those fools who made the movie thinking the public really loves this franchise for the modern day stuff instead of the real meat of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I agree on Assassins Creed. It has all the things there to make a really great series. For the life of me I will never understand those fools who made the movie thinking the public really loves this franchise for the modern day stuff instead of the real meat of the game.
    And they went with the dusty bland Spain setting instead of the more vibrant Italian renaissance and a established character who is loved by the fans in Etzio. Fassbender coulda been a decent etzio I think

Mass Effect and Dragons Age would be fun.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I don't think the story structure of most video games adapt well to serialized storytelling. You're usually presented with an overabundance of story, that's hard to cut into satisfactory chunks or there's just not a lot of meat to work with in the first place. That, and in any game the interactive nature of the medium plays a huge part in enjoyment. Taking that away from a narrative designed around it is a huge handicap.

Ideally I think the best adaptations of a game into TV of film would be that of a side-story taking place in the game's world. Adapting the events of the original Mass Effect trilogy would be difficult for numerous reasons, telling a new story using the familiar settings/alien races of the series might be easier to do well.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-29-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Alan Wake, already serialized, would be great long-form TV. Which is already under development.

Same goes for Quantum Break.

Zelda would be fun. Crash Bandicoot always struck me as a Looney Tunes cartoon. Borderlands, WITH CELL-SHADED ART, would be cool.

Mass Effect and Dragon Age have cool stories but I think they'd be lost in a non-game realm.

A good Doom and Neverwinter Nights I think would be wonderful.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Assassins Creed
    Prince Of Persia

I don't mind if they create a new assassin/prince rather than following the games. I agree with Personamanx that video game movies should be new stories than just retelling the games. Some games like Bioshock or Infamous you can't really do that but others you can.

They did pitch a kH animated series back in the day so I wouldn't mind another shot at it. Live action KH wouldn't be a good idea- just stick to animation. I wouldn't mind if they created a new lead instead of Sora or focused on Riku's side of the games because there is a lot we don't see.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I don't think the story structure of most video games adapt well to serialized storytelling. You're usually presented with an overabundance of story, that's hard to cut into satisfactory chunks or there's just not a lot of meat to work with in the first place. That, and in any game the interactive nature of the medium plays a huge part in enjoyment. Taking that away from a narrative designed around it is a huge handicap.

Ideally I think the best adaptations of a game into TV of film would be that of a side-story taking place in the game's world. Adapting the events of the original Mass Effect trilogy would be difficult for numerous reasons, telling a new story using the familiar settings/alien races of the series might be easier to do well.
    The games with not a lot of meat would work the best for TV and film. That would give a lot of creative freedom. Look at Castlevania. There isn't much of a plot there beyond kill Dracula and Warren Ellis managed to craft two good seasons out of it. Use what's present in the games as a starting point and craft their own story from there.