Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default How I feel about CAPTAIN MARVEL

Boy, where do i start? Being a Mar-vell fan I'm a little bummed they didn't use him at at in this film. Jude Law being Yon-Rogg blows. But for this film to work they have to steal from Mar-vell. She has no rogues gallery and they are so bent to make her "Her own woman" that eliminating Mar-vell is justified in their eyes. So, she can detect Skrulls (awareness), and she's poised to be Thanos' silver bullet in Avengers. Mar-vell's claim to fame is taking down Thanos using awareness. Now to Yon-Rogg, by Law's description he's very Vell-like. My bet he will be Walter Lawson in the movie. She has amnesia. She won't know him at first anyhow. So basically my bet is they will use his history for both characters to boost the movie. I'll have to see it. Then I will probably puke.

Quote Originally Posted by Immorta View Post
    Boy, where do i start? Being a Mar-vell fan I'm a little bummed they didn't use him at at in this film. Jude Law being Yon-Rogg blows. But for this film to work they have to steal from Mar-vell. She has no rogues gallery and they are so bent to make her "Her own woman" that eliminating Mar-vell is justified in their eyes. So, she can detect Skrulls (awareness), and she's poised to be Thanos' silver bullet in Avengers. Mar-vell's claim to fame is taking down Thanos using awareness. Now to Yon-Rogg, by Law's description he's very Vell-like. My bet he will be Walter Lawson in the movie. She has amnesia. She won't know him at first anyhow. So basically my bet is they will use his history for both characters to boost the movie. I'll have to see it. Then I will probably puke.
    I thought he was mar-vell. Super bummed right now. Carol can still be a strong independent women and get guidance from a mentor. If you frame it right

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I thought he was mar-vell. Super bummed right now. Carol can still be a strong independent women and get guidance from a mentor. If you frame it right
    I think the whole idea is she'll end up against everybody. They don't want her mentored at all. She does it all by herself.

I think the whole idea is she'll end up against everybody. They don't want her mentored at all. She does it all by herself.
    What's wrong with that? MCU has pretty much all their heroes do this.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

All-New Member

What would Luke have been without Obi Wan? Everybody needs somebody.

What would Luke have been without Obi Wan? Everybody needs somebody.
    Probably better off.

Did Tony have a mentor?

Plus, the movie isn't even out yet. It kinda looks like Fury is pretty involved with her. We have no idea.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Probably better off.

Did Tony have a mentor?
    Obadiah. Until he turned to evil.

Heh.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I think the story is more along the lines of Carol feeling betrayed by the Kree and wanting revenge. Any mentor the Armada provided for her would be complicit in lying to her about who she is, so it's a good thing that Mar-Vell isn't here to get his reputation Agent Liberty'd for the sake of cheap drama.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Obadiah. Until he turned to evil.

Heh.
    Stark is a merchant of death, he has always been evil he is just unaware of it

Ultimate Member

Personally, i dont really care about Mar-vell playing a role in the movie. Not that i hate the character but he's more popular for dying and staying dead than anything else.

He died probably before a good chunk of the people going to see the movie were born.

I see no problem at all with the story being entirely Carol centric. At all.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-06-2018 at 11:50 PM.

Mar-Vell is dull as dishwater. Dudes most notable storyline is "Died". And we already got that **** covered in ASM2. Hell he could barely hold an ongoing or a recognizable storyline.

Unsurprisingly I agree with the OP.

Mar-Vell's Starlin run is a classic, he was a major part of the Kree/Skrull war, his Moench/Broderick run was very good - the idea his only notable storyline is his death simply isn't true. And that is what's annoying about the new movie and Carol's push as Captain Marvel in general - I've got no problem with her taking the Captain Marvel name, but if Carol is such a better character than Mar-Vell, if her stories are so much better than his, then use HER stories and the things particular to her, don't co-opt Mar-Vell's villains/storylines/mythology in order to make her popular. She must have stuff that wasn't actually Mar-Vell's in her history, and if she doesn't and has to take Mar-Vell's then at least give him props.

Really Mar-Vell fans have had to swallow a very bitter pill ever since Starlin decided he wanted to kill-off the character in a special graphic novel about cancer, taking him off the table permanently. It depresses me that we get non-Mar-Vell fans totally unsympathetic to our situation when clearly if it was their favourite character that was being treated this way they would be complaining about it too.

I wonder if they're going to make Carol half Kree via a Kree father and a human mother? Or, if they're going to take Carol's origin of how she got her powers in the comics, and give it to her mother so she'll still be born with those powers? I just see them streamlining a lot, maybe even jettisoning a lot. That's actually the main reason I want to see this movie, to see what they change, move around, keep the same. I find that fascinating. Oh and Two-eyed Fury and More-Hair Coulson.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Probably better off.

Did Tony have a mentor?

Plus, the movie isn't even out yet. It kinda looks like Fury is pretty involved with her. We have no idea.
    Tony had Yinsen in the cave. One could easily see Mar-Vell play a similarly important role in Carol's origin, though I personally don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I wonder if they're going to make Carol half Kree via a Kree father and a human mother? Or, if they're going to take Carol's origin of how she got her powers in the comics, and give it to her mother so she'll still be born with those powers? I just see them streamlining a lot, maybe even jettisoning a lot. That's actually the main reason I want to see this movie, to see what they change, move around, keep the same. I find that fascinating. Oh and Two-eyed Fury and More-Hair Coulson.
    The trailer implied that the Kree "fix" her. I assumed they do some HE stuff to her by the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Tony had Yinsen in the cave. One could easily see Mar-Vell play a similarly important role in Carol's origin, though I personally don't need it.
    A raison d'etre is not a mentor. His heart was changed, he wasn't mentored. Same goes for Obi ... Tony was the brains and Obi was trying to steal everything to get rich.