Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Apparently the Phillies had some clubhouse issues last season down the stretch, in particular players being in the clubhouse playing Fortnite during games, to the point where Carlos Santana went in and smashed the TV they used. It seems they have instituted some new clubhouse rules this year as Kapler turned to veteran players to help draft these guidelines. http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...led-smashed-tv

Also looks like Red Sox 2nd baseman Dustin Pedroia will start the season on the IL (still can't used to that rather than DL). He hasn't suffered a setback in his recovery from knee surgery, but the team wants to ramp up his activity and get him playing in back to back games during spring training and see how he responds without rushing him into everyday play. The fact they have a long road trip with few off days to open the season and would like to carry an extra pitcher probably has something to do with it as well. My guess, he will make his season debut at the Fenway opener in mid-April to give him and the fans a moment.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Apparently the Phillies had some clubhouse issues last season down the stretch, in particular players being in the clubhouse playing Fortnite during games, to the point where Carlos Santana went in and smashed the TV they used. It seems they have instituted some new clubhouse rules this year as Kapler turned to veteran players to help draft these guidelines. http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...led-smashed-tv

-M
    Yeah, I’ve been hearing that all day since I live in Philly. Maybe it’s me, but for some odd reason, I can’t bring myself to get worked up over that. I mean, a quarter century ago, those guys would’ve been playing cards (probably for money) in the clubhouse instead of video games, so what happened was no surprise to me. Hell, if Santana went off in Boston during their “chicken and beer” phase in 2011, somebody might’ve taken a bat to HIM. Suddenly, his trade to Seattle made sense, no way he could stay here after what happened. However, what startled me was how this story flew under the radar for nearly six months, at the time of the incident, the Phils were already irrelevant as the city focused on the Eagles’ title defense, so no one cared what was happening with the baseball team which nosedived out of contention. Well, with more veterans on the team, I’m sure this won’t happen again.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 03-19-2019 at 08:28 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Bryce Harper's 13-year, $330 million contract with the Phillies was called the richest in baseball history when it was announced two weeks ago. Mike Trout just said "Hold my beer". Word has it he's soon to sign a 12-year, $430 million dollar extension to stay in Anaheim. So much for those pipe dreams Phillies fans had about hoping Trout would come home two years from now, a fantasy I for one knew would NEVER happen. And maybe, just maybe Harper's boast about wanting to bring Trout to Philly unnerved the Angels (or pissed them off) enough to take a proactive approach and iron out that monster deal before their star attraction even thought about testing the free agent waters.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 03-19-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Well, Trout just made the biggest bank in MLB history.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Well, Trout just made the biggest bank in MLB history.
    I suspect this might well be the last such mega-deal to come down the road for quite some time to come. I can't think of any up and coming position player who'll even come close to that whopping number, never mind top it, and no pitcher, not even Jacob DeGrom will earn so much as a quarter of what Trout will get.

I think Betts is the only other player who might make even close to that kind of money, assuming Acuna only gets better he might be the next guy but he's a few years down the road

Most likely one of the last monster contracts.

Hey hey! It’s Opening Day for the Mariners, as they are to play two games against the A’s in Japan! 2am pacific time...

Some smaller but still note worthy contract extensions

Cardinals extend Paul Goldschmidt for 5 years at 130 million
    Red Sox just extended Chris Sale for 5 years at 150 million

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Some smaller but still note worthy contract extensions

Cardinals extend Paul Goldschmidt for 5 years at 130 million
    Red Sox just extended Chris Sale for 5 years at 150 million
    Regarding the latter, what will Jacob DeGrom ask for after winning NL Cy Young last season?

Verlander just received a two year 66 million extension

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Regarding the latter, what will Jacob DeGrom ask for after winning NL Cy Young last season?
    don't know what he asked for but what he got was 5 years at 137 million

Happy Opening Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Happy Opening Day!
    Should be a national holiday! And I'm not kidding!