Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

My radical DH solution no one would ever go for-get rid of the DH altogether, pitchers do NOT hit, add a 10th fielder (the short fielder or rover) who is the only one allowed to shift positions on the field, and ban the shift otherwise. Teams have one roving player they can position where they want each at bat, everyone in the field except the pitcher hits, and everyone who hits plays the field. As I said, no one would ever go for it, but it plays with the emergence of the super-utility players who can play multiple positions and contribute to the offense, makes it uniform for both leagues, addresses the switch allowing teams to use strategy defensively without all the put of position craziness we see with some shifts, etc. It just means no more hit only players being DH or rotating semi-days off for a regular fielder playing DH for the day.

Of course something like this would have to be part of the CBA extension negotiations and not imposed by one side or the other, and it's probably too different to ever fly.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

This is interesting....

Hartford Yard Goats become first baseball team to ban peanuts and Cracker Jack

The Hartford Yard Goats are rewriting the lyrics to “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” after announcing earlier this month its Dunkin’ Donuts Park will be peanut-free.

The Yard Goats, Double-A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies, are believed to be the first team to ban peanuts for an entire season.

Peanuts are prevalent at baseball stadiums, making it difficult for children with peanut allergies to attend games. The Yard Goats held two peanut-free games last year where the park banned the item and did a deep clean of the stadium.

Yard Goats President Tim Restall told USA Today the decision to go peanut-free permanently came after speaking with local parents of children with peanut allergies. According to USA Today, he “was moved by stories of trick-or-treating with gloves on, bringing one’s own cupcakes to classmates’ birthday parties and sitting in a separate area of the school cafeteria.”
    Could such a policy reach into the bigs? Probably not, but, it's still forward thinking.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I guess I just don’t understand this peanut allergy thing. What’s the risk in a stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I guess I just don’t understand this peanut allergy thing. What’s the risk in a stadium?
    I’m no doctor, but I think the problem is with kids going into anaphylactic shock from the allergy like with bee stings if they eat peanuts. I’ve heard that even smelling peanuts can result in a disastrous reaction, thus the full clean of the ballpark.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 02-13-2019 at 06:47 PM.

I just don’t get why smelling peanuts is killing people. Something is wrong.

Anyway, Manny reportedly to the Padres. 300mil over ten years... still developing.

with Manny getting the 300 mil deal there's no way Harper signs for anything less

Welp, with Machado signing with the Padres, this is the last time he will be relevant in MLB and I can safely forget abotu him for the rest of his career. Maybe the So Cal folks are laid back enough not to care he never hustles or does the little things it takes to win games and championships.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    with Manny getting the 300 mil deal there's no way Harper signs for anything less
    And two years from now, Mike Trout will sign a deal larger than whatever Harper gets.

I always think of these guys as mercenaries, but then you get guys like Trout or Felix who are probably more loyal than their careers deserved.

I do wonder if it would be smart to trade Trout at this or next deadline to a contender and get him back when he hits FA.

On the Manny note, I'll be honest, I'm tired of the "doesn't hustle" comments players get. Cano got those too. How hard are you really supposed to run out that grounder?

And Harper is super overrated. Not a bad player by any means, but is he really a 300/10 player?
    Last edited by Joker; 02-19-2019 at 05:46 PM.

I always think of these guys as mercenaries, but then you get guys like Trout or Felix who are probably more loyal than their careers deserved.

I do wonder if it would be smart to trade Trout at this or next deadline to a contender and get him back when he hits FA.

On the Manny note, I'll be honest, I'm tired of the "doesn't hustle" comments players get. Cano got those too. How hard are you really supposed to run out that grounder?

And Harper is super overrated. Not a bad player by any means, but is he really a 300/10 player?
    It's not just hustling on a grounder that's the issue-it's hustling to get in the right spot to back up a cut-off or throw, hustling to catch a foul ball, hustling to back up the third baseman or second baseman on grounder when you are playing SS, hustling to be in position to take an extra base if an outfielder bobbles a single or to score from second if there is a bobble in the outfield, all the little things great players do that don't show up on stats sheets but help team win close games and make the post-season because they won a few they shouldn't have because of the hustle, i.e. all the kinds of things Machado doesn't care about and doesn't do, which is why he is only a below average fielder, and has a rep of not hustling. It's the kind of things that players like Trout and Betts do routinely and why they are regarded as among the best of the best.

-M

I understand, it’s just so bandied about I get tired of hearing it. I’m not really familiar with Manny.

M’s beat the A’s 5-0 in 1 1/2 innings before the gam got called on account of rain. First game of Spring Training 2019 in the books. Next stop, World Series.

Harper still no closer to signing. The fuck.

I kinda hope he has to settle on a shitty contract. Dude has clearly overestimated his value.

Spoke too soon! Harper to Phillies on $330 mil for 13 years. What a ridiculous contract.

Spoke too soon! Harper to Phillies on $330 mil for 13 years. What a ridiculous contract.
    Just heard about it, and my jaw dropped. No opt out clause, no no trade clause. We’ve got Harper until he’s 39. I’ve never heard of anything like this before.

It has a no trade clause and no opt outs, so he should be in Philly for the duration of the deal.

Speaking of ridiculous, Boras said he was getting offers of $45 million for short term deals, but Bryce wanted the longest contract possible and wanted to stay the rest of his career with one team.

-M