Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

we knew at some point LA would need to unload some of it's gorrillion outfielders

The Lorena Martin case is pretty interesting.

There were other issues brought up recently with the upper management of the Mariners regarding harassment. Martin also worked for the Lakers last, and was apparently problematic there. So there seems to be issues on both sides of the isle. I've been working, and haven't really had a chance to look at the case file, or the specific accusations since she filed suit today.

I've been aware of this since it first came to light, and it's cast a definite pall over the entire off season/organization.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Huge Dodgers-Reds trade. Alex Wood, Matt Kemp and Yasiel Puig headed to Cinci for Homer Bailey, a couple of prospects, a back-up catcher and cash. Bailey is a 10/5 guy, and waived his no trade on the condition the Dodgers release him immediately and he becomes a free agent. The prospects were middle infielder Jeter Downs and RHP Josiah Gray. Kyle Farmer was the catcher who can also play some infield. The Dodgers save $70 million in luxury cap space with the deal and free up spots and money to either make more trades or be active in the free agent market.
    Sounds like the Dodgers are clearing the decks (and the outfield) to make a run at Bryce Harper. I don't know if they'll target Manny Machado since they already have a shortstop in Cole Seager who should be ready for 2019 after missing the last half of 2018 from injury.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Sounds like the Dodgers are clearing the decks (and the outfield) to make a run at Bryce Harper. I don't know if they'll target Manny Machado since they already have a shortstop in Cole Seager who should be ready for 2019 after missing the last half of 2018 from injury.
    I have also heard rumors they are looking to sign AJ Pollock, not Harper and are in talks to trade for Corey Kluber, hence making Wood expendable in the trade. They likely want to stay under the luxury tax threshold again, and they still only have $20 million. Harper will cost more than that, so they would have to dump more salary to fit him.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Kyle Seager
    Correction.

Nelson Cruz signs with the Twins on a 1-year deal plus option for second year, leaving behind Seattle. He has hit more home runs than anyone else over the last 5 years, but is older than the Twins new manager Rocky Baldelli (who is only 37).

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I am really going to miss him. He had no reason to stay here, and Seattle had no reason to re-sign him, but I am still going to really miss him.

Mariners go international to help their rotation and sign Japanese free agent lefty Yusei Kukuchi. http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...four-year-deal

He was one of the best pitchers in the Japanese league but had a down year last year. Still, many considered him the best starter left in free agency.

-M

Other news-

Jonathan Lucroy signs with the Angels. He's an excellent receiver and one of the best at limiting the other team's running game, so he should help the Angels even though his offense has diminished.

Padres deal starter Clayton Richard to the Jays after previously designating him for assignment. He's as best a serviceable #5 starter who eats innings, but I am not sure how many teams will start to trot out openers rather than pitchers like Richard going forward.

Jays also signed free agent starter Matt Shoemaker, who has been limited by injury the past 2 years. Looks like they are setting up competition at the back end of their rotation and loading up on guys to eat up spring training issues (possibly following the Red Sox example last year o limiting their top starters innings in spring training to keep them fresh for the long haul of the season?)

I also saw a report that the Red Sox had signed Carson Smith to a minor league deal, but haven't seen confirmation from any reliable news outlet. Considering how bitterly they parted ways last season, I find that surprising.

-M

Yankees get a shortstop, but not the one Yankees fans wanted-signing Troy Tulowitzki to fill in while Didi Gregorius recovers form surgery. They seem to still be in the Machado sweepstakes, possibly moving Andujar to 1B and playing Machado at 3B, but Machado has said that playing SS is a priority in making his decision who to sign with, so we'll see.

-M

Dave Robertson signs a 2 year $21 million deal with the Phillies, with option for a 3rd year. Robertson negotiated the deal himself without an agent. The closer market is getting smaller and Kimbrel is still unsigned. I don't think he is going to get the 6 year $100 million deal he is looking for.

-M

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Dave Robertson signs a 2 year $21 million deal with the Phillies, with option for a 3rd year. Robertson negotiated the deal himself without an agent. The closer market is getting smaller and Kimbrel is still unsigned. I don't think he is going to get the 6 year $100 million deal he is looking for.

-M
    As a Phillies fan, I like this deal as it bolsters our bullpen considerably.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Yankees re-sign free agent reliever Zach Britton, whom they acquired at the trade deadline, to a 3 year $39 million deal with mutual options for a 4th year or buyout.

-M

Brewers sign catcher Yasmani Grandal to a 1 year $18.25 million contract.

Rangers sign P Shelby Miller to a 1 year prove it deal as he tries to come back form Tommy John surgery and other injuries that derailed his promising career.

White Sox signed John Jay, a close friend and training partner of Manny Machado to a 1 year $4 million deal, after trading for Machado's brother-in-law Yonder Alonso as they continue to try to make their team an appealing option for Machado.

Spring training is creeping closer and closer. Less than a month until Red Sox "Truck Day" the day the equipment truck leaves Boston to make the trek to Florida and the first sign for Sox fans that baseball is coming back.

-M

Couple of middle-infielders going to the NL East. Brian Dozier signs a one year deal with the Nats, and the Mets sign Jed Lowrie to a 2-year deal.

-M