Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

-A three-batter minimum for pitchers
    fully support this, either this or a cap on bullpen size, managers who don't like it can get over it, watching three pitcher changes in a single inning is currently hurting the game viewer wise

-A universal designated hitter
    split on this, like the leagues being different

-A single trade deadline before the All-Star break
    sure

-A 20-second pitch clock
    support this

-The expansion of rosters to 26 men, with a 12-pitcher maximum
    FULLY support this, end keep the pitcher cap if you keep expanding the roster at the end of the season

-Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams
    split on this, feel it should penalize perpetual losing teams maybe

-A study to lower the mound
    long overdue

-A rule that would allow two-sport amateurs to sign major league contracts
    sure

Reports are coming out that the Phillies have acquired J.T. Realmuto from the Marlins...

The Phillies and Marlins agreed to a trade that will send All-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto to Philadelphia for catcher Jorge Alfaro, pitching prospects Sixto Sanchez and Will Stewart, and an international bonus slot, league sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN.
    That's a big get for the Phils, as a lot of teams have been in the Realmuto sweepstakes. Kind of surprised the Marlins dealt him within their division though, but the Marlins seem to have no real plan to get better nad just founder about lucking in on a good player they then trade and get a poor return on without ever really improving their overall situation.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Phillies offered a kind of ridiculous deal for a two year catcher, not surprised no one matched that

MLB is putting the disabled list on the DL, and renaming it the Injured List. So far, the rules for using it remain unchanged, though MLB did propose to the union the return of the 15 day IL rather than the 10 day version used the past few seasons because some teams have used the shorter duration to manipulate rosters for fresh pitching arms. The union is believed to have countered wit the idea of a 15 day duration for pitchers (the subject of most of the roster manipulations) and a 10 day version for everyone else. I think I like that idea better. The 60 day IL will remain unchanged either way.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Reports are coming out that the Phillies have acquired J.T. Realmuto from the Marlins...

That's a big get for the Phils, as a lot of teams have been in the Realmuto sweepstakes. Kind of surprised the Marlins dealt him within their division though, but the Marlins seem to have no real plan to get better nad just founder about lucking in on a good player they then trade and get a poor return on without ever really improving their overall situation.

-M
    As a Phillies fan, I was both elated and surprised. Elated to have landed one of the best catchers in baseball on a club friendly contract for this season’s n and next, surprised that Realmuto was dealt in the division, something that usual just isn’t done. Short of landing Harper or Machado, this was a big deal for the Phils.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

One of the funniest things I always remember is the "Happy Bobby Bonilla Day" people would say about the METS. Anyhow In a video ESPN did they discussed that last year and the story was pretty funny.

- Deferring money to sports stars has happened through major sports from NFL to MLB. So this happening with the NY Mets isn't shocking or surprising.

- Basically the story is Bonilla came back to the Mets in 1998 on a long term contract. Within months however he clashed with the Manager and was creating issues behind the scenes. The Mets realized they wouldn't be keeping Bonilla and decided to try to trade him. The only problem was ; no team wanted to pay that type of contract the Mets had signed him to. So with no trade partners and no way to move him they were gonna have to pay .

- Of course the Mets owner didn't have that type of cash on hand to pay Bonilla due to his investment with Bernie Madoff at the time. So the Mets proposed a deferred money deal with interest that would start in 2011. Bonilla being a smart man realized he would make way more taking these payments over a time than his pay out. The Mets didn't realize how silly it would become til years later and now from 2011 to 2035 they will have to pay Bonilla once a year and he is long since retired.

- One expert said that the Red Sox have done this with Manny and have him on the books til 2026 and the 1st one to take deferred money was Catfish Hunter in mid 1970's. So it sounds silly but the Mets had to do this.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Looks like there are some major rule changes, both on the field and off, being bandied about between the league and the player's union... http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ges-alter-game

among the rule changes being discussed are:

-A 20-second pitch clock

union reps went over proposals with team reps last week as spring training nears, and owners meetings are coming up, but everything is still in the discussion stage of let's throw things out there and see what people think.

Most of the proposed changes are geared towards improving pace of play, dealing with service time and rosters, re-stimulating the free agent market in the off-season and dis-incentivizing tanking for teams that are rebuilding. Some of them are within the power of the commissioner to impose without union approval, but with CBA talks looming, both sides are trying to generate some good will and momentum as they get nearer.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this, if anything.

-M
    If we're gonna screw with the pitchers so much, I propose a run for each time a pitcher strikes out the side or WIDEN THE STRIKE ZONE.

The rest are fine except for the draft penalties. MLB has less of a parity problem than most sports ... lets not create one. I'd be down a head-to-head system based on performance for the bottom 10 teams to not encourage tanking.

I'm 50/50 on the pitch clock. Not super keen on further dismantling pitching.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

The other possible rule change I hear rumbling about, that they might experiment with in spring training and the All Star Game is starting any inning after the 10th with a runner on second to shorten extra inning games. Of all the proposed changes, this one and changing the height of the mound are the two I am most iffy about.

-M

Manfred has said no to changes in DH rules or draft rules for 2019. He is open to having the changes be a part of a CBA extension, but wants to focus on pace of play changes for this year.

-M

Fantastic Member

Yeesh. Saw that Fransico Lindor is already out for 2 months and spring training hasn't even started yet.

That runner on 2nd 10th inning **** is the worst. Just an absolute garbage idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    That runner on 2nd 10th inning **** is the worst. Just an absolute garbage idea.
    I don't mind it for the All Star Game or Spring Training where rosters/playing time can be limited and the games don't count. For regular season games or worse playoff games, I don't like it. There's no need for the All Star Game or spring training games to run long into extra innings, and they are going to be declared a tie of they run out of players anyways. However, in the regular season, you play to win, and that extra inning game in the WS that the Sox lost but Nate Eovaldi went out and pitched 6 gutty innings of relief was just about the most gripping baseball TV MLB has seen in a long time and adding a runner on second would lessen the game in those types of situations.

-M

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

So, the Giants have become the latest suitors for Bryce Harper's services:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/...nzy/ar-BBTps1V
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    fully support this, either this or a cap on bullpen size, managers who don't like it can get over it, watching three pitcher changes in a single inning is currently hurting the game viewer wise

split on this, like the leagues being different

sure

-A 20-second pitch clock
    support this

FULLY support this, end keep the pitcher cap if you keep expanding the roster at the end of the season

split on this, feel it should penalize perpetual losing teams maybe

long overdue

sure
    i agree with most of your points, though I actually would prefer the to be no designated hitter, I like it when the pitcher has to get out there and graft with the others. Also it's pretty awesome when someone like Wainwright smashes a home run.

Spectacular Member

Not impressed by the efforts of the Cards to try and bolster our lineup. Seems to be a continuing issue for us, nice to see Goldshmidt (we desperately need power in the line up) but I don't see us making a huge dent without more changes