• Michael Shannon

11 45.83%
  • Colin Salmon (Krypton show)

5 20.83%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Stamp. 100%.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Michael Shannon's Zod. He was one of the best supervillians we've had on screen in ages.

I love Terrence Stamp's Zod too, though. Callum Blue was also pretty good!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-06-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Zod has turned out to be that rare character who is genuinely hard to really mess up.

There have been 5 Live Action Dru Zods (from 1978 through 2018), and not one has been a stinker. All of them brought something new to the table.

But for my money, no one tied all his most worthy attributes together in one package like KRYPTON's Colin Salmon: the intelligence, the charisma, the ferocity, the imposing stature.

All he could use a bit more of is the drollness in his tone, but, given his particular situation on the show, that aspect probably doesn't fit as well.

He wins.

Kneel before THIS Zod!

Shannon’s Zod is the best imo. He’s got real depth and pathos. Stamp’s Zod is entertaining but he’s a relatively flat character, he’s evil to be evil. And Shannon acted the hell out of all his scenes. I like Krypton Zod so far, very excited to see where the show goes with him in the future.

Not surprisingly to anyone here, I have to go with Terrance Stamp. He's basically the reason anyone looks at Zod in anything besides the comics.

Shannon is an amazing actor, great in just about everything he does (and he did a lot with what he was given). But when I think of Zod, it'll always be Stamp and that classic voice.

Kinda like when they re-did the dialogue and voice acting in the re-release of "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night," what's technically better isn't always better - as odd as that is to say. Dracula in the original SOTN, just like Stamp's Zod, is so unabashedly cheese that it just soars.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Zod has turned out to be that rare character who is genuinely hard to really mess up.

There have been 5 Live Action Dru Zods (from 1978 through 2018), and not one has been a stinker. All of them brought something new to the table.

But for my money, no one tied all his most worthy attributes together in one package like KRYPTON's Colin Salmon: the intelligence, the charisma, the ferocity, the imposing stature.

All he could use a bit more of is the drollness in his tone, but, given his particular situation on the show, that aspect probably doesn't fit as well.

He wins.

Kneel before THIS Zod!
    Yeah this one wins for me.
    He has the military dictator angle down like no other. He was very believable in pulling off the character's motivations and depicting the extreme lengths he was prepared to go to. I really didn't expect to like him as Zod at all but I've been completely won over. Stamp gets a close #2 for me. Shannon was a great actor and brought a lot to his take on the character but was really lacking in the air of elite aristocracy and superiority that I always imagine Zod having. He was great at depicting the General aspect of the character, not so much the dictator side.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Stamp all the way. Every line is a comic classic

"The whole planet...Houston?"

"You will bow down before me Jor-El, first you and then one day your heirs"

"I win...I always win"
    I concur. Stamp made that character pretty much.

Astonishing Member

Still Terence Stamp. Kneel. Before. Zod!

Colin Salmon (Krypton) is my favorite live action version of the general. He's a total heartless badass.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    Yeah this one wins for me.
    He has the military dictator angle down like no other. He was very believable in pulling off the character's motivations and depicting the extreme lengths he was prepared to go to. I really didn't expect to like him as Zod at all but I've been completely won over. Stamp gets a close #2 for me. Shannon was a great actor and brought a lot to his take on the character but was really lacking in the air of elite aristocracy and superiority that I always imagine Zod having. He was great at depicting the General aspect of the character, not so much the dictator side.
    Not so much the dictator? But he was ready to kill all life on Earth in favor of his own race. He was also causing trouble on Krypton before it got destroyed. Seems like he thought he was the only one who could rule his people. That's a dictator.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Stamp all the way. Every line is a comic classic

"The whole planet...Houston?"

"You will bow down before me Jor-El, first you and then one day your heirs"

"I win...I always win"
    I agree with you on Stamp.

I wish I could nonchalantly say this to someone.....

Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 12-14-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I have loved most live action versions of General Zod. My faves are Terence Stamp, Michael Shannon and Krypton's Colin Salmon. I think all 3 of them delivered something truly special and some still are.

It's really hard to choose between Colin Salmon and Shannon, both very interesting and more complex than before, IMO. I think I choose Salmon because I've seen more of him, and he is so intriguing so far. Perfect casting. All of them.

Which one is yours and why?
    Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor possessed by Zod.

Michael Shannon did a good Zod but Terence Stamp's is absolutely iconic and has permeated almost every version of Superman since. "Kneel before Zod" has become part of culture.
    Power with Girl is better.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I nearly forgot Rosenbaum as Zod. The concept looks like crap on paper,but boy did he make "LexZod" work.

I would love to see Rosenbaum show up as Zod on the Arrowverse shows. I know they already had another guy as Zod in Superman's hallucinations at the end of SUPERGIRL season 2, but they recast Kara's mom with Erica Durance. They could easily have Rosenbaum as Zod. Just have him do what he did on Smallville during his brief turn as Zod and they would be golden.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor possessed by Zod.

Michael Shannon did a good Zod but Terence Stamp's is absolutely iconic and has permeated almost every version of Superman since. "Kneel before Zod" has become part of culture.
    No doubt "kneel before Zod" line is iconic, but for my $ Michael Shannon and Colin Salmon are just better versions of the character. More layered and complex, and I really appreciate that. General Zod had definitely been done good justice in live action.

Terence Stamp(reeve zod)