Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default "Little' comics that meant a lot to you...

For me in the late 90's/early 2000's it was Impulse and young Justice. The fun, animated style adventures kept me happy when I was stuck in a lot of crappy, isolating jobs back then. It was no Watchmen or Dark Knight but it was my little comic. I'm happy that Bart and YJ will be back courtesy of Bendis but it'll never the same (or will it?).

What was your little treasure?

I wouldn't consider these series to be small at all.

For a more recent series I would go with JL3000. The Teen Titans the Lost Annual was something that I've always treasured. It was a goofy silver age type story where the Fab Five are recruited for a mission by JFK. It's a lot of fun.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

A short silver age story I don't know where it came from that depict Robin Dick Grayson teaching a seminar to GCPD on how to be an escape artist using available everyday items. That was the first time I view him as not just a kid in a funny costume.

I would say both Adventures in the DC Universe #7 and Justice League Unlimited #20. These two issues have the DCAU animated art-style that I simply adore. And seeing Mary Marvel and the SHAZAM! Family in this type of artwork brought me a lot of happiness.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    A short silver age story I don't know where it came from that depict Robin Dick Grayson teaching a seminar to GCPD on how to be an escape artist using available everyday items. That was the first time I view him as not just a kid in a funny costume.
    I believe that was "Operation Escape" in BATMAN 199 (February 1968), but actually reprinted from STAR SPANGLED COMICS 124 (January 1952). It was also reprinted in THE GREATEST BATMAN STORIES EVER TOLD (1988).

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Don't recall the issue number, but the Burnout origin story in Gail Simone's Gen 13 resonated a lot with me. I was far from the target audience by tat point, but it was a gut punch (in a good way)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Retired

A little story that meant a lot was "The Batman Nobody Knows" by Frank Robbins and Dick Giordano in BATMAN 250 (July 1973). Only six pages, but a story that made a big impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    A little story that meant a lot was "The Batman Nobody Knows" by Frank Robbins and Dick Giordano in BATMAN 250 (July 1973). Only six pages, but a story that made a big impression.
    That was the first issue of Batman I ever read and the first super-hero comic I ever bought off a spinner rack. That story stayed with me for years, and even made the Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told collection that came out around the time of the Burton film. The lead story in that issue about a wax museum murder, not so much, but that back up I remembered for a long time and lead me to tracking down that issue at a con 6 years ago when I was getting back into comics after a 7 year hiatus.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

BANNED

My most important comic was Crisis on Infinite Earths: The Death to Supergirl. As a young kid, I lived in a country comics were not so accessible a friend of my went to the states and gave me this comic, It was what hooked me to comic books forever.

Extraordinary Member

I know there's a thread on here about this, but for me, it was the Super Friends comics.

I'm not sure what kind of sales the book got, but it always seemed like a second or third tier book. Yet, I learned so much about the DC Universe by reading it - a lot more than I did watching the cartoon.

Villains like Chronos, Scarecrow, and Mirror Master were new to me but I learned who they were thru Super Friends.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Y'mean like.... 'Mazing Man? Or, Green Lantern: Mosaic? My Faith in Frankie? Ah, y'mean like Angel Love-- or, or the (most?) recent Dial H for Hero..... sigh.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Boisterously Confused

As a child, Freedom Fighters. I loved them as different kind of take on a superhero team, rather something like The Outsiders would be a decade later.

More recently, The Power Company. Again, a different kind of take on a superhero team. It rather surprises me that as the average comic fan has aged, and sometimes complain about the un-realism of superheroics, that such a for-profit group never found an audience.

Astonishing Member

I really liked checkmate

Batman #414

Batman414.jpg

I remember this one fondly, because Batman doesn't catch the killer at the end.

Boisterously Confused

Would AnthonyO'Brien mind clarifying what was meant by "little" in this case. I kind of got a sense of it from the OP, but I'm not positive.