Page 189 of 196 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 2935

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

  1. #2821
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I don't want Kate dead. I guess I'm hoping for her either to get a bigger mission that takes her out of Gotham (looking for Bruce?) or maybe crippling her in some way so she isn't capable of being Batwoman. But yeah, I think there is some sort of "Kate gives Ryan her blessing" moment coming.
    She might not die, I think she will, but maybe not. But she's going to go away for some reason for sure. And yeah, she's going to do more than give Ryan her blessing - she's going to tell Ryan quite clearly that Ryan's the better Batwoman. Like how Superman had to tell Supergirl she was better than him. Because that's what the CW does...

  2. #2822
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    3,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Being comic book accurate is not needed, especially for a role thatís not even top tier. The hair color is not that serious.
    I'll just say this, and I'll be done: Stephanie is quite possibly my favorite Bat-family character, and that includes Batman and Robin. And it matters to me because the CW, and WB as a whole, have continued to alter characters in live media that have been established for decades for the sake of 'inclusivity' and other bulls**t reasons, and I'm sick of it. For once, I would like them to adapt a character to the screen as close to how they look in the comics as they can. If that means you cast an actress who is blonde, or who will bleach their hair, then they should do it.

  3. #2823
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    67,172

    Default

    Never in my wildest dreams did I expect the show to do Cluemaster, of all villains, justice. But there he was as an obsessive egomaniac leaving tricky clues as a discount Riddler for people to solve. They also used his game show origin in a similar way that The Batman did. Heck, they even gave him a comic-accurate costume! I'm glad they didn't kill him off at the end .

    In fairness to those Crows, Ryan was basically threatening to break a guys leg in front of them and they had no way of knowing about the tracker...I mean, the Crows are still incompetent, but they had believable reasons to ward her off.

    It's like Sophie could take a bullet for Ryan and Ryan would still distrust her.

    So I guess Sophie discovered she's full gay, not Bi. I remember speculation on that front back when Tyler was a thing. I guess I feel bad she was married for three years and probably didn't really feel anything, at least as much as if she was really attracted to Tyler.

    So Mary has had sex on a plane and Ryan has accidentally sexed Mary. These crazy kids...

    Jacob Kane once again abandons his daughter at her moment of need. And his drug addiction storyline fittingly ends with him overdosing and getting administered to Mary's clinic...so I guess letting her keep it open paid off, huh?

    Redhair aside, they did Steph pretty great as well. I mean, obviously the purple, the "Spoiler" namedrop, her sassiness, and her desire to stop her father. I don't really get why she's a redhead because, y'know, Barbara Gordon, but otherwise she was pretty perfect. I don't know if we'll see her actually become Spoiler but I really hope we see her again .

    How many times can the Arrowverse reference the MCU? Well, that and a Disney property.

    I love how Cluemaster hates Riddler so much that he'd basically give them a freebie question revolving around Nygma while mocking Riddler the entire time .

    I loved the game show with Batman trivia, mentioning Penguin, Poison Ivy, Professor Pyg (Lazlo), and Mr. Freeze.

    So is Luke Tim Drake now? Super smart guy who ends up getting knocked out by Stephanie Brown, saves her from her dad, and then gets kissed by her. I remember back in season 1 I thought he and Mary were going to be a thing, but could he end up being Stephanie Brown's Tim? Which is also kind of funny since he dated Babs for a hot minute in the comics.

    Sophie was being really overt with those hints that she knew Ryan was Batwoman. Like Mary seemed to get it the first time, although she also did a bad job supporting Ryan's defense of her secret identity.

    Who would've thought it would take mind control and a recast to get Kate to wear a dress? With fishnets, no less.

    I was wondering when Alice would clue in, and fittingly it's the eyes that finally give away that Cersi is really Kate. Well, that and Alice helped kill the actual Cersi...

    Looks like next weeks episode is going to get pretty real with all the black characters getting arrested (I assume for being black).

  4. #2824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Being comic book accurate is not needed, especially for a role thatís not even top tier. The hair color is not that serious.
    If comic book accurate isn't needed, then why use that comic character? This show clearly has no problem creating new characters for it, so why not just do that?

    They wanted the name recognition, but that name recognition comes with the expectation that it will match the character with that name.
    Last Read: Vagabond vol. 2

    Monthly Pull List: Action Comics, Batman/Catwoman, Batman/Superman, Catwoman, Daredevil, The Flash, Infinite Frontier, Nightwing, Runaways, Strange Adventures, Superman

  5. #2825
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    100% comic accuracy is not needed. Keeping the spirit of the comic is. Changing Steph's hair color was stupid and unnecessary, but it's an incredibly minor thing and no worse than making Catwoman a blonde in Batman Returns and BTAS.

    To flog a dead horse, I'd have gladly traded Anya Taylor Joy's looking just like Illyana Rasputin for the character she played actually having anything to do with the real Illyana and not this weird racist reality warper they wrote her as. If getting a Steph who's written like her comic counterpart means she doesn't look the part, I'll take that deal 10 times out of 10.

  6. #2826
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    67,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    If comic book accurate isn't needed, then why use that comic character? This show clearly has no problem creating new characters for it, so why not just do that?

    They wanted the name recognition, but that name recognition comes with the expectation that it will match the character with that name.
    The weird thing is that, other than the hair color and age, she pretty much was Stephanie Brown from the comics...which by CW/Arrowverse standards, is actually kind of impressive.

  7. #2827
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    If comic book accurate isn't needed, then why use that comic character? This show clearly has no problem creating new characters for it, so why not just do that?

    They wanted the name recognition, but that name recognition comes with the expectation that it will match the character with that name.
    Because someone thought it was worth bringing that character and story to the show. However, the network is targeting both comicbook fans and the audience at-large that knows nothing about that character or history in comics (myself being one of them). I could care less about what their face or hair looks like (or even a costume). I care about being entertained with good characters and story. There is a goldmine of stories and characters awaiting their turn on tv and movies - for some, it's easier simply to convert it directly and in others, you take what works and make some adjustments. And if a new character is needed, you go that route. There is no "one size fits all" in making a comic book tv show or movie.

    If everything had to be comic accurate, Andrew Garfield would've never played Spider-man/Peter Parker simply on the basis his hair was too big and poofy compared to the comic book version.

  8. #2828
    Mighty Member 90'sCartoonMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lala Land
    Posts
    1,363

    Default

    It's going to take a long time for Ryan to fully accept Sophie, if ever (unless Sophie quits law enforcement, I guess?), but I think it's great whenever they're together. Adding Mary to the mix was really fun.

    I think it's hilarious Cluemaster got mad at his former game show for having easy questions, and then he creates a game with a bunch of easy questions about Gotham villains. I guess the Penguin one was a little tricky. Wait, wasn't he also a mayor?

    I'm glad it didn't take Alice long to figure out Cersi is Kate. The eyes giving it away was a great moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    She might not die, I think she will, but maybe not. But she's going to go away for some reason for sure. And yeah, she's going to do more than give Ryan her blessing - she's going to tell Ryan quite clearly that Ryan's the better Batwoman. Like how Superman had to tell Supergirl she was better than him. Because that's what the CW does...
    Hmm...you may have a point. Well, hopefully it'll be something like Kate telling Ryan she can speak for and give hope to the people in a way that she, a well-off white woman, can't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How many times can the Arrowverse reference the MCU? Well, that and a Disney property.
    Plus Harry Potter. I admit having to look this up, but it was Shuri, Tiana, Evie (From the Mummy?), Pepper, and Hermione. If I were Luke, I would marry that woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    100% comic accuracy is not needed. Keeping the spirit of the comic is. Changing Steph's hair color was stupid and unnecessary, but it's an incredibly minor thing and no worse than making Catwoman a blonde in Batman Returns and BTAS.
    Or what they've done with Barry Allen for that matter. None of them are blond. Hair color is a tiny thing when it comes to comic book adaptations.

  9. #2829
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Or what they've done with Barry Allen for that matter. None of them are blond. Hair color is a tiny thing when it comes to comic book adaptations.
    We had a blonde Bruce Wayne in a movie, so Stephanie's hair doesn't seem a big deal - all adaptations are Elseworlds. Sam Raimi turned a blonde actress into a red-headed character and a red-headed actress into a blonde character. He might be the only one who values that kind of verisimilitude.

  10. #2830
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Because someone thought it was worth bringing that character and story to the show. However, the network is targeting both comicbook fans and the audience at-large that knows nothing about that character or history in comics (myself being one of them). I could care less about what their face or hair looks like (or even a costume). I care about being entertained with good characters and story. There is a goldmine of stories and characters awaiting their turn on tv and movies - for some, it's easier simply to convert it directly and in others, you take what works and make some adjustments. And if a new character is needed, you go that route. There is no "one size fits all" in making a comic book tv show or movie.

    If everything had to be comic accurate, Andrew Garfield would've never played Spider-man/Peter Parker simply on the basis his hair was too big and poofy compared to the comic book version.
    If you cared about good characters and stories why would you watch Batwoman on TV?

  11. #2831
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    67,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    If you cared about good characters and stories why would you watch Batwoman on TV?
    ...Because it doesn't do a bad job?

  12. #2832
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...Because it doesn't do a bad job?
    I watched a bit of the show while Hush was around and you like acting like that and dialogue like that and sets like that?

  13. #2833
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    I only watched this episode because of Steph, and while I was overall pretty happy with how they handled her, the rest of the episode was trash. 'Oh my god, it's Stephanie Brown, Cluemaster's daughter' might be the worst line delivery I've heard in years. The acting and writing for most characters makes Gotham look like Citizen Cane.

  14. #2834
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    67,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I watched a bit of the show while Hush was around and you like acting like that and dialogue like that and sets like that?
    ...Yeah? I don't think it's that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I only watched this episode because of Steph, and while I was overall pretty happy with how they handled her, the rest of the episode was trash. 'Oh my god, it's Stephanie Brown, Cluemaster's daughter' might be the worst line delivery I've heard in years. The acting and writing for most characters makes Gotham look like Citizen Cane.
    It didn't come off that clunky to me in the show, and I think the acting more genuinely human and real than what we got in Gotham (even if they can both get pretty campy).

  15. #2835
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    3,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Or what they've done with Barry Allen for that matter. None of them are blond. Hair color is a tiny thing when it comes to comic book adaptations.
    Come to think of it, have they EVERY cast a blonde for a live-action Barry Allen?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •