Page 41 of 233 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    And it's a pretty bad situation.

You can tell from some of the negative reviews it's just blind hate. I saw someone say that he can't believe that CW made Babara gay and I was like WTF. And most of positive ones are just blatantly stated to be counters to the "trolls". Legit reviews are rare and you can't even trust the "pros".
    Yeah, season one is lost to trolls and anti-trolls. Hopefully they'll calm down by season two.

I figured out where Kate was training at the beginning: Lake Baikal, Siberia. The rock formation in the first shot is called Shamanka or Shaman's Rock, located on Olkhon Island.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I hate Justin Beiber as much as the next guy, but it seems odd to complain about him in a Batwoman review.
    Honestly, I sorta think this is code for homophobia, nothing against Beiber.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by djoki96 View Post
    Yeah, season one is lost to trolls and anti-trolls. Hopefully they'll calm down by season two.
    First gay superhero lead - that the show exists is sorta amazing - but it was bound to draw attention from those who normally don't watch or care for superhero shows (especially those aimed at a younger demographic, which the Arrowverse is). The cast and crew (many women writers) is also very diverse, perhaps even more so than the original cast for the other Arrowverse shows (not including Black Lightning, but that until recently wasn't Arrowverse).

• So naturally, you have the homophobes/misogynists/racists desperate to maintain the old status quo, and trying to sink a new diverse show that challenges it. They may claim a "political agenda" is being pushed, but they are pushing a political agenda of their own.

• Then there are the Batman-purists who don't like Batman being "replaced", and feel that he's been victimized by his nasty younger cousin using his stuff. Also, they wanted another Batman show, because Batman doesn't have enough shows/films/video-games already.

• We've got the CW haters, who go around trashing pretty much all the Arrowverse shows, whilst also advertising the other DC shows - lots of 'reviews' telling people to go watch Titans/Pennyworth/Gotham/Krypton/Doom Patrol and "waaaah, Swamp Thing got cancelled"!

• Then, you've got your Ruby-Rose-haters, who seem to take issue with her existence, for whatever warped reasons. So of course, her getting cast as a superhero has them up in arms. Some of them certainly seem to have rigid requirements of how a lesbian celebrity is and isn't allowed to behave/identify.

• Don't forget the all-important band-wagon-riders, they don't want to miss-out! Lots of people attacking this show, might as well join in, it's the cool thing to do.

The "she can't act" thing is simply a justification to attack. Because most of them can't opening admit the real reasons they are attacking the show - which boils down to prejudice of one form or another. She may not be the greatest actor around, but she's not too bad either, and if it was about her acting (or the quality of the show) you'd see many other actors having their shows review bombed like this.

I have probably forgotten some groups, but you get the gist of it.

Further reading:
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a...eviews-trolls/

https://www.theguardian.com/games/20...o-star-reviews
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 10-11-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Spectacular Member

Meagan Tandy and Tyler Hochelin were briefly a couple on Teen Wolf.

So I'm guessing Alice/Beth was raised in the orphanage. There's got to be some crazy back story there. They obviously never recovered the body and no one would think about checking an orphanage?

What's up with the car? I feel like shoddy workmanship is a bad explanation for why it fell, but at the same time I can't imagine the Kanes had a secret stash of white drawf matter in the trunk.

Really hoping Kate's dad ends up being the Scarecrow, but calling his company The Crows is probably too obvious for that. Also hoping the Mad-Hatter is somehow connected to Alice's origin.

Ultimate Member

I like the harder look to her that Ruby Rose gives to the character. Over on Arrow, I'm supposed to grin and accept that various curvacious hotties are badass fighting machines, and some of them can pull it off, and some of them, well, are nice to look at... Ruby Rose is no Gina Carano, but neither is she a twig like Summer Glau (no dig meant on Summer, I've loved to see her kick ass as River Tam or the Terminator Cameron!), or quite as 'soft' looking as the women who play Cupid or the al Ghul sisters.

I've only seen the one episode, and generally prefer superhero comics about people with powers to those about two-fisted vigilantes, but, in watching the other WB shows, have to admit the writing has generally been stronger at dealing with, say, Arrow, than with people like the Flash or Supergirl, who generally have to be handed the Idiot Ball week after week to prevent them from ending the plot in the first eight seconds of the episode, because it seems like the writers have not the slightest clue how to write something to challenge a person with super-speed, or invulnerability. So far, Batwoman seems to be at least as well crafted as Arrow, and could be, if anything, even more faithful to the comic book character (since Arrow is anything but...).

Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    What's up with the car? I feel like shoddy workmanship is a bad explanation for why it fell, but at the same time I can't imagine the Kanes had a secret stash of white drawf matter in the trunk.
    I've heard a theory that it had armor plating, and that's why the cables couldn't hold the extra weight. But cars also aren't designed to hold their weight on the trunk hinge, either.

Really hoping Kate's dad ends up being the Scarecrow, but calling his company The Crows is probably too obvious for that.
    Elseworlds already confirmed Jonathan Crane exists here. I don't want Jacob being any kind of villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Ruby Rose is no Gina Carano, but neither is she a twig like Summer Glau
    Heh, tell that to the rest of the Internet, who seem to be convinced RR weighs 100 lbs, tops.
    Last edited by Caivu; 10-12-2019 at 01:06 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

In case anyone was wondering, the actress has an accent coach (4:44 into the video):

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    In case anyone was wondering, the actress has an accent coach (4:44 into the video):
    But that probably came around after the show was greenlit (after pilot was filmed).

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Heh, tell that to the rest of the Internet, who seem to be convinced RR weighs 100 lbs, tops.
    I've noticed that too. "How can an 87 lb woman be beating up grown men" Never mind that Robin, a child, does the same thing. Most the websites I have checked list her weight as 128 lbs.

Astonishing Member

Robin being a top notch combatant has been noted. His involvement in fights has been cited as clearly child abuse. His getting hit in the head so young and repeatedly, will surely lead to CTE as he grows. At 40, he will lucky to remember his own name.

The acting of the show was better than the stilted and wooden acting on Supergirl. I would have liked a touch of peak human training background and better fight performance, that would counter how a smaller stature woman could compete. If she was a gun fighter, no problem. I've seen women her size handle full power handguns and assault rifles better than some men. One I know is a speed demon that beats the pants off most of the guys.

My continued objection to sexuality discussions is that if you balance how much of the plots on all the Arrowverse shows, some spend too much time on relationships - which they do unconvincingly with their level of acting. Be whatever you are - that's fine.
    Last edited by Captain Smith; 10-12-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Robin being a top notch combatant has been noted. His involvement in fights has been cited as clearly child abuse. His getting hit in the head so young and repeatedly, will surely lead to CTE as he grows. At 40, he will lucky to remember his own name.
    *I'll* be lucky if nobody remembers his name by the time his character has been around for 40 years...

Then again, I thought the same thing about Jason Todd, and he's come back with a vengeance, so maybe Damien just needs to get beat to death with a crowbar and be dead for a decade before his day comes around.

The action of the show was better than the stilted and wooden acting on Supergirl.
    Both Supergirl and the Flash suffer from the writers having no clue how to write for people with powers, so both Kara and Barry zoom in at super-speed or fly in and make a dramatic hand on hips pose and speak a horrible cliche, and then take it in the face like a champ, because they were too busy monologuing and not actually *fighting*. If *I* had super-speed the crooks would be all like, "I'm robbing a bank, woo!" <Whoosh> "And now I'm in jail? Whaaaaat just happened?"

Thankfully Batwoman isn't going to have that particular problem, and seems likely to be more like Oliver on Arrow, who gets some shiny new scars to show off when he doesn't fight to win.

Just finished watching the pilot and thought it was quite good. Certainly one of the better openings from the Arrowverse shows that's for sure.

Tend to watch these shows ironically.

If they end up legit entertaining, well that's just a bonus for me.

This ended up legit entertaining.

Ruby Rose is a terrible actor, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by _Feely_ View Post
    Ruby Rose is a terrible actor, tho.
    I already didn't understand how people could think this, but after the pilot, I understand it even less. She did fine, especially on the more emotional scenes.