Page 24 of 233 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Some promising stuff from a recent interview:

https://ew.com/comic-con/2019/07/18/...m_content=link

“In episode 3, we have a pretty serious Batman villain show up thinking, ‘I’m going to f—ing kill Batman,’ ”

“Batwoman is the only caped crusader in town. We’ll have bad guys show up wearing their own versions of disguises, but in terms of costumed good guys or bad guys, it’s just Kate in hers.” She continues, “It’s very tempting to jump to what the other shows are doing now because that’s the world we’re living in. But I keep going back to what was Arrow season 1? [We’re aiming for a] back to basics of a girl kind of discovering the awesomeness of this Batsuit, all of this Bat tech that she has access to, and just keeping it simple.”
    My guess for the villain is Scarecrow. I could be completely wrong, but that's my guess.

So glad to know that, at least for season 1, they aren't going to make an ensemble of vigilantes. Team Flash is so crowded now, it's annoying.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 07-20-2019 at 02:23 AM.

Second showing also went very well. Q&A panel revealed that episode 3's villain is spoilers:
    Tommy Elliot.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Caivu; 07-20-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Second showing also went very well. Q&A panel revealed that episode 3's villain is spoilers:
    Tommy Elliot.
    end of spoilers
    Well I hope Scarecrow turns-up at some point - Kate has faced him in both comics and videogame form, so live-action should be next. Plus, I just find Scarecrow to be one of the more notable Batman villains.

Okay, check out the new info from the panel: https://twitter.com/BatwomanPodcast/...50554293624832

• They are going to be doing different takes on villains to keep things fresh, and not rehash old stories
    • Prior Arrowverse villains will not be repeated, even though some of them were Batman villains
    • Kate in the Arrowverse is a Vegan, because the actress is one
    • Kate's sexuality is not the focus, just a trait
    • Half the tattoos are the actresses, the other half are covered with original designs for the character, due to copyrighted materials they needed to hide
    • The actress does a lot of her own fights, the fights feel like Kate trained in the military
    • Renee cannot be used due to the Birds of Prey film, but depending on what happens with the film she may turn-up in the future
    • Maggie is unlikely to be used because she was established on Earth 38, which makes things messy
    • Sounds like they are not permitted to use Bruce Wayne, yet, due to DC being strict

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Well I hope Scarecrow turns-up at some point - Kate has faced him in both comics and videogame form, so live-action should be next. Plus, I just find Scarecrow to be one of the more notable Batman villains.
    I doubt the lingering look she gave the fear toxin vial in Elseworlds was accidental; she seemed to know exactly what it was.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

I doubt the lingering look she gave the fear toxin vial in Elseworlds was accidental; she seemed to know exactly what it was.
    Yes, that exactly! Plus she faced the Scarecrow in her second solo run. She got dosed with Fear-toxin in the original solo run, and even carries a version of the stuff. And in DC Universe Online, she went up against the Scarecrow there too. Of all of Batman's rogues gallery, she has the most history with the Scarecrow.

Also, as a long-time Batwoman fan, is anyone else finding all these Teasers a bit odd?
    I'm not used to Kate smiling so much, except when she's being scary to enemies, and that is more a sort of grimace. I feel like it should be less smiling and more smouldering (is that the right word for it?) - Batwoman's gotta brood.

Oh well, different interpretations.

I'm so hyped for this series.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 07-21-2019 at 01:06 AM.

Also, as a long-time Batwoman fan, is anyone else finding all these Teasers a bit odd?
    Just in the sense that they're relatively abstract and not assembled from clips from the show itself. The second one is especially unusual.

I'm not used to Kate smiling so much, except when she's being scary to enemies, and that is more a sort of grimace. I feel like it should be less smiling and more smouldering (is that the right word for it?) - Batwoman's gotta brood.
    She does actually smile quite a bit:

https://batwomanandmotherpanic.tumbl...me-examples-of

Mostly because, instead of being broody, she does genuinely seem to like beating people up (which tracks with something she says in the New 52's #0 issue).
    Last edited by Caivu; 07-21-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Just in the sense that they're relatively abstract and not assembled from clips from the show itself. The second one is especially unusual.

She does actually smile quite a bit:

https://batwomanandmotherpanic.tumbl...me-examples-of

Mostly because, instead of being broody, she does genuinely seem to like beating people up (which tracks with something she says in the New 52's #0 issue).
    Yeah, when she's being intimidating, or winning in a fight - but not so much in her civilian persona, which is my point.

The Teasers have her going around smiling all the time as Kate Kane. I can flip through my collection of her original solo, and most of the time in civilian identity she is: neutral, broody, or angry looking. She's smiles a bit, but not so frequently as many other characters that are more positive in attitude. I expect Kara and Barry to smile a lot, but with Kate it's just...weird.

Yeah, I know the Teasers are not clips from the actual show, but the actress is still playing Kate Kane in them. Besides, I already watch Supergirl and Flash, I don't want more of the same with another chirpy lead that "inspires people to be better" necessarily. I mean sure, she can inspire people but not in exactly the same way. I've always liked that she's a bit of a jerk, and we saw her being a broody-jerk in Elsewords to everyone except Kara, so I'm hoping for more of that.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 07-21-2019 at 10:14 PM.

[*]Sounds like they are not permitted to use Bruce Wayne, yet, due to DC being strict[/LIST]
    WB are SO FUCKING STUPID.

Its not 2005 anymore, we dont need an embargo on characters because "The audience might get confused about if its a movie or tv show". A movie specifically about a multiverse and alt version of characters just won an Oscar ffs.

The only issue with TV Barry and Movie Barry as an example isnt that its confusing, its that Tv Barry is a better actor.

Yeah, when she's being intimidating, or winning in a fight - but not so much in her civilian persona, which is my point.
    I was curious, so I went and checked this, starting with Elegy. So far I'm up to issue #11 of the New 52 (I did the first #0 as well), and when not Batwoman, I count her smiling 22 distinct times so far in 22 issues.

BANNED

Captain Marvel doesn't smile enough and Batwoman smiles too much. Gotta love fans

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Captain Marvel doesn't smile enough and Batwoman smiles too much. Gotta love fans
    Looking for any excuse to hate on women, honestly.

The Bat-Family are know for being brooding. If the Teasers were about a non-Bat-Character, then fine. But Batwoman is a Bat-Character, and hence the Teasers are IMO odd.

I was curious, so I went and checked this, starting with Elegy. So far I'm up to issue #11 of the New 52 (I did the first #0 as well), and when not Batwoman, I count her smiling 22 distinct times so far in 22 issues.
    Care to count the context for all the smiles too? By all means, go ahead, it doesn't change that the general feel for the character being more brooding than happy, and you won't change my view on the character.

I'm still going to watch it, but the Teasers are getting weird.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 07-22-2019 at 04:55 PM.

The Bat-Family are know for being brooding.
    All of them? Dick is? Barbara? Steph? Tim? I think we may be using different definitions of "brooding," because I don't see that with any of them, nor with Kate. Jason and Damian, sure.

Care to count the context for all the smiles too? By all means, go ahead, it doesn't change that the general feel for the character being more brooding than happy, and you won't change my view on the character.
    Well, I'm sure not gonna bother if you just admit you won't change your mind. But honestly, I have no idea what you're basing this on.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    WB are SO FUCKING STUPID.

Its not 2005 anymore, we dont need an embargo on characters because "The audience might get confused about if its a movie or tv show". A movie specifically about a multiverse and alt version of characters just won an Oscar ffs.

The only issue with TV Barry and Movie Barry as an example isnt that its confusing, its that Tv Barry is a better actor.
    They probably want people’s focus to be on batwoman. If Batman is around, that’s who people are gonna want to see. That’s probably why they’ve used Superman so sparingly on supergirl.