Page 37 of 233 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by djoki96 View Post
    Wohoo, this was seriously review bombed on rotten tomatoes.

I mean, it's far from perfect but 10%? Seriously? This can only be achieved once you're perceived as bringing politics someone disagrees with into the mix.
    And on IMDB and Metacritic, too. And now their same ilk has the gall to crow about the low user ratings like they're legitimate. It's so gross.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I mean, they're probably gonna die down in a couple of weeks, two months tops but... Jesus Christ!

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    And on IMDB and Metacritic, too. And now their same ilk has the gall to crow about the low user ratings like they're legitimate. It's so gross.
    I mean, they're probably gonna die down in a couple of weeks, two months tops but... Jesus Christ!

Astonishing Member

I was looking forward to the show but was disappointed. Several reasons:

1. Batwoman/Kate was unconvincing as someone who could be peak human (not because she is a woman). She didn't have the martial arts umami (so to speak) of Bats in the books, movies or Ollie. I just didn't see her as a fighter that wouldn't have trouble with an average but trained opponent. Certainly not up to League of Assassins women from Arrow.

2. Must every CW show now have gender identity and love as a crucial part of the story. Sigh - who cares. A season of tension between Kate and Sophie - this isnt' a soap opera or is it?

3. A big old conspiracy. What happened to the sister, why is she a super villain, who is behind her? Let's reveal it all so slowly with much angst.

A side issue for the what little things annoy you thread. I know something about this - when you get hit in the and knocked out - you had better get to the hospital. Kate got clobbered twice. She doesn't look like she had particularly powerful neck muscles. Guys would get hit with a brick in a construction site, felt fine and dropped dead the next day from internal bleeding and swelling.

Another thing - all the Crows came from Red Shirt/Star Wars Storm Trooper Academy. Some thugs in masks just take them apart. Cliche!

All in all - not convincing to me.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I've actually read the negative user reviews on rotten tomatoes. I saw a lot of complains about the acting and script writing. This being an Arrowverse show I can believe it. Though I need to actually watch this thing for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    1. Batwoman/Kate was unconvincing as someone who could be peak human (not because she is a woman). She didn't have the martial arts umami (so to speak) of Bats in the books, movies or Ollie. I just didn't see her as a fighter that wouldn't have trouble with an average but trained opponent. Certainly not up to League of Assassins women from Arrow.
    We literally don't know yet what kind of hand-to-hand combat training Kate has had, or how much.

2. Must every CW show now have gender identity and love as a crucial part of the story. Sigh - who cares.
    That's part of the source material. It's a big part of Kate's backstory.

3. A big old conspiracy. What happened to the sister, why is she a super villain, who is behind her?
    You're disappointed that you don't know the answers to these questions after one episode?

Another thing - all the Crows came from Red Shirt/Star Wars Storm Trooper Academy. Some thugs in masks just take them apart. Cliche!
    No. This happened to exactly one of them, because she was a specific target.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I've actually read the negative user reviews on rotten tomatoes. I saw a lot of complains about the acting and script writing. This being an Arrowverse show I can believe it. Though I need to actually watch this thing for myself.
    It's certainly not 1-star worthy bad, unless they've rated the same for every other Arrowverse series (doubtful, since many of those reviews are brand new drive-by accounts).
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Mighty Member

The thing about the reviews is that it has never worked so well before. Usually there are enough people who like the show or movies to largely offset the bombing. That suggests that a lot of potential defenders did not like it.

Astonishing Member

You're disappointed that you don't know the answers to these questions after one episode?
    It's just boring that every show must have 'questions' that take forever to answer. The conspiracies usually are forced just to stretch out a season.
    Also, I don't mind if she is gay - but as I've said in other Arrowverse threads - the love life discovery is getting old.

Amazing Member

Just a slightly facetious question then, if you don't want relationship issues and you don't want escalating discovery of a mystery/adversary ... what's left for a serialized show to do? your stuck with a monster/villain of the week with little to no continued development of relationships or thing to uncover.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    The thing about the reviews is that it has never worked so well before. Usually there are enough people who like the show or movies to largely offset the bombing. That suggests that a lot of potential defenders did not like it.
    Most viewers don't rate things on these sites. As of me typing this right now, Supergirl's premiere from the same night, which had a similar number of viewers, has 32 audience ratings on RT.

Batwoman has 1,824.

That's a gross discrepancy. How exactly is that supposed to be offset?
    Last edited by Caivu; 10-08-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Mighty Member

How many reviews did the series premiere of other Arrowverse shows get? That is probably more relevant than one on season 5.
    Last edited by regnak; 10-08-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    How many reviews did the series premiere of other Arrowverse shows get? That is probably more relevant than one on season 5.
    Arrow has 2313 for all of season 1, 7 years after the fact.

Legends: 1323 for all of season 1, 3 years later.

The Flash: 4892, 5 years

Supergirl: 3196, 5 years

Batwoman now has 1898 within three days for one episode. That's not normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Arrow has 2313 for all of season 1, 7 years after the fact.

Legends: 1323 for all of season 1, 3 years later.

The Flash: 4892, 5 years

Supergirl: 3196, 5 years

Batwoman now has 1898 within three days for one episode. That's not normal.
    Don't forget the fact that Supergirl premiered on CBS with 12 times as many viewers.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Since the show doesn't remotely deserve its present rating, I have to assume it's some type of backlash against a gay lead and/or Bat stand-ins for Bruce.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Since the show doesn't remotely deserve its present rating, I have to assume it's some type of backlash against a gay lead and/or Bat stand-ins for Bruce.
    I know that the show was raged against by several YouTubers and... Um, interesting sites, so probably some of their fans banded together.