Page 56 of 233 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Then maybe it's because they made no effort to make either actress look any younger in the flashback, because it felt like Kate got kicked out and immediately started her training to (not) become a Crow, and she was only gone for- what, 5 years? It feels like Sophie should still be in the Military.
    That literally can't be true, though. It would mean the Point Rock scenes take place in 2013, well after DADT was repealed.

Why is she even an agent with the Crows? It's just weird to me that after her stint in the Military, that she'd go to work for the father of the woman she had kicked to the curb. What, she never thought she'd see Kate around the office?
    Security agent is a common career for many former military members, and the Crows are specifically made up of lots of them. I don't understand what Kate being around would have to do with anything. Maybe before Kate came back, Sophie had convinced herself she really was over her, but was proven wrong.

As for the argument that she wants to protect Kate, Kate's had to save her ass twice now. Kate's doing fine. She should be more concerned with herself.
    And Kate's also almost been killed a minimum of five times, at least one of which Sophie protected her during. So she has a point.

Quote Originally Posted by djoki96 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

So, I know Julia was originally white, but this still bothers me. If it is Julia, that is.
    Yeah. This show's been pretty good on the diversity front, so it'd be a shame if they shot themselves in the foot here.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Then maybe it's because they made no effort to make either actress look any younger in the flashback, because it felt like Kate got kicked out and immediately started her training to (not) become a Crow, and she was only gone for- what, 5 years? It feels like Sophie should still be in the Military.
    I actually wondered how extensive and long her training was...it doesn't feel like she went through the exact kind of training that Bruce did, but I guess it was also cut short when Sophie got kidnapped.

I guess another aspect is that she wasn't training to be the next Batman, she was training to basically be a police officer, which is why she struggles when she needs to apply herself to the stuff Bruce specifically trained himself for, which is where Luke comes in.
    That's well and good in the real world, but in a superhero show, I'm not going to root for the person who is threatening to out the superhero. As for the argument that she wants to protect Kate, Kate's had to save her ass twice now. Kate's doing fine. She should be more concerned with herself.
    I think Kate's doing okay. I mean, she got hit by a truck, and has needed to be saved by both Alice and her own dad at times, but she's basically a rookie at this point.

Dammit. The British lady is Julia.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Dammit. The British lady is Julia.
    Yeah, probably.

Yeah, probably.
    No, it's been confirmed.

No, it's been confirmed.
    Oh, yeah. Just saw it.

Huge misstep.

Oh, yeah. Just saw it.

Huge misstep.
    It doesn't help that this is right on the heels of a questionable (though almost certainly not maliciously-intended) scene in this week's episode (the gas trap).

Honestly, as a Jew, I had no problems with the gas trap. Partly because it wasn't malicious (there were three methods of execution used in Gotham, and the gas chamber is still in use in some states), and partly because I don't look at Kate and Jacob and think of them as Jews. Just like I don't look at Oliver or Barry and see a Christian, or look at Felicity and see her as a Jew. As a matter of fact, I felt the same way when Darhk put Felicity and the rest into a gas chamber in Season 4 of Arrow. It wasn't until after the episode aired that I heard people remarking about how wrong it was to put a Jew in the gas chamber.

That being said, you'd think that they would have learned...
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 11-11-2019 at 07:34 PM.

I do agree to an extent; within the narrative of the show, they weren't put in there because they were Jewish. And of all official execution methods, gas is the slowest, making it good for a tense, climactic scene. That's what I mean by it not being malicious; it's just an unfortunate congealing of two parts of the script into something that calls to mind atrocities.

Oh, yeah. Just saw it.

Huge misstep.
    Hey look! Color-blind casting!

Hey look! Color-blind casting!
    Joking, I hope? Whitewashing Julia isn't exactly great.

As handy as Kate is becoming with that batarang, I couldn't help but think what would happen if the flashdrive got damaged in that toss.

So Sophie knows...how will Kate try to hide her identity? If she will? She seems to have forgotten her voice modulator thingie.

I'm eager for Mary to find out who Batwoman is. Is it really that bad she's running that clinic?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Mayor Cobblepot?" I wonder what dark period in Gotham's history that was from. And of course Penguin brings back firing squads .
    The period of Gotham where its citizens followed the Pax Penguina.

Honestly, as a Jew, I had no problems with the gas trap. Partly because it wasn't malicious (there were three methods of execution used in Gotham, and the gas chamber is still in use in some states), and partly because I don't look at Kate and Jacob and think of them as Jews. Just like I don't look at Oliver or Barry and see a Christian, or look at Felicity and see her as a Jew. As a matter of fact, I felt the same way when Darhk put Felicity and the rest into a gas chamber in Season 4 of Arrow. It wasn't until after the episode aired that I heard people remarking about how wrong it was to put a Jew in the gas chamber.
    Has the Kane's being Jewish even been mentioned on the show yet? I guess they might be saving it for the Christmas episode.
    Joking, I hope? Whitewashing Julia isn't exactly great.
    Is it whitewashing? New 52 Julia was bi-racial but she wasn't when she was first introduced, so I don't think it's whitewashing anymore then having a white Helena Bertinelli in BoP is whitewashing the New 52 version.

I think they missed an opportunity to add more diversity to the show, but I don't think it's an issue of whitewashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    So Sophie knows...how will Kate try to hide her identity? If she will? She seems to have forgotten her voice modulator thingie.
    She really seems to drop the ball when it comes to Sophie.
    I'm eager for Mary to find out who Batwoman is. Is it really that bad she's running that clinic?
    Morally maybe not, but legally what she's doing is wrong...and ethically one could argue that if she happens to mess up running this illegal clinic, who would hold her accountable?
    The period of Gotham where its citizens followed the Pax Penguina.
    Y'know, if we look at Bruce's previous adventures as his own Batman series, I wonder if "Mayor Penguin" was a Big Bad of his own season...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Has the Kane's being Jewish even been mentioned on the show yet? I guess they might be saving it for the Christmas episode.
    Gabi and Beth's headstones each had a Star of David, and Mouse mentioned Hanukkah when he lied to Jacob. Not a lot, but it is there.

Is it whitewashing? New 52 Julia was bi-racial but she wasn't when she was first introduced, so I don't think it's whitewashing anymore then having a white Helena Bertinelli in BoP is whitewashing the New 52 version.

I think they missed an opportunity to add more diversity to the show, but I don't think it's an issue of whitewashing.
    Hmm...

I think it comes down to how major each of them was. Before the New 52, was Julia as popular a character as she is now (not that she's huge or anything now, but y'know)? My instinct says no, but I'm not sure.

Both versions of Helena B seem pretty much equally popular, so it's not as much an issue there.

Edit:

Complicating things is that TV!Julia is an operative like modern comic Julia, so it's not like she has the same job as pre-Crisis Julia.
    Last edited by Caivu; 11-12-2019 at 01:14 AM.

You know, I might have an idea how Kate is gonna deal with Sophie finding out.

What if Julia wears the cowl for the night to take the suspicion off of her?