Page 68 of 233 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Kate not being a hero doesn't excuse being a dick to (or at the very least treating in a disrespectful way) someone who's been helping you out a lot and has saved your life a couple of times. But yes, I'm sure she will grow to be a better person overall.
    You mean Luke? How is she being a dick to him?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    You mean Luke? How is she being a dick to him?
    She always seems pretty demanding and abrasive towards him, and without much of a nice word or thank you for all the work she has him doing.

She even said his dad was better then he is, or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She always seems pretty demanding and abrasive towards him, and without much of a nice word or thank you for all the work she has him doing.

She even said his dad was better then he is, or something to that effect.
    It comes off to me as more of an ersatz sibling rivalry. She loves Luke but likes to tease him. And he loves her so Luke is willing to take her nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    It comes off to me as more of an ersatz sibling rivalry. She loves Luke but likes to tease him. And he loves her so Luke is willing to take her nonsense.
    I mean, I'm not really feeling the love. They feel more like co-workers forced to work together to me who are begrudgingly getting to know one another.

I'm not feeling any "sibling love" either here - Kate just kinda bulldozed her way into the Batstuff and Luke supports what she's doing because he believes in it, but she treats him like an assistant rather than an ally who has no real reason to help her. That's how it feels to me anyway...

Yeah, thats the problem. She doesn't treat anybody around her as equals, except Sophie and her father.
    And she tried to cuddle her murderous sister, while treating her totally nice step-sister like crap.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not demonizing Kate, I know its obviously supposed to develop her as a character. The whole Alice/Mary thing blowing up in her face is a nice consequence, but I think it's still valid to point out.
    Last edited by Anarchist; 12-07-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Ultimately, Kate (and Ollie) are made from the "brooding hero who alienates those around them" Batman mold.

Incredible Member

I've watched the first two episodes of the show and tbh it's better than I thought it would be. I didn't think that Batwoman could hold her own show but so far its been good. my only nitpick is I think it should've been on DC universe as I think the show has a lot more potential but seems to be held back because of tv time constraints and rating restraints. Additionally, I think its tone would've made it a good crossover candidate for Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not demonizing Kate, I know its obviously supposed to develop her as a character. The whole Alice/Mary thing blowing up in her face is a nice consequence, but I think it's still valid to point out.
    Her being a jerk to Mary/Bette and Luke at the start is surprisingly consistent with the comics though. In the original solo Kate is a jerk to Bette at first, and during the 'Tec Gotham Knights run she was also a mega-jerk to Luke as soon as he joined the team. Interestingly, they both quietly tolerate her behaviour until they prove themselves, and she stops being such a dick. Then they become friendly instead.

As far as the comics go though, Kate's reasoning for being a dick to them both is made clear. In Bette's case Kate was being over-protective and wanting to drive her away from being a vigilante. In Luke's case Kate thought he was being a vigilante for fun and wasn't taking it seriously, therefore could wind-up getting hurt or killed because he wasn't really a 'soldier'. When each proved themselves serious and capable her attitude changed, and she respected them.

Not sure what TV Kate's reason for being a jerk is, since neither Mary or Luke are vigilantes (and unlike the comics Kate isn't all that experienced at it either), other than emotional immaturity.

I think TV Kate is just childish, and will undergo emotional growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Her being a jerk to Mary/Bette and Luke at the start is surprisingly consistent with the comics though. In the original solo Kate is a jerk to Bette at first, and during the 'Tec Gotham Knights run she was also a mega-jerk to Luke as soon as he joined the team. Interestingly, they both quietly tolerate her behaviour until they prove themselves, and she stops being such a dick. Then they become friendly instead.

As far as the comics go though, Kate's reasoning for being a dick to them both is made clear. In Bette's case Kate was being over-protective and wanting to drive her away from being a vigilante. In Luke's case Kate thought he was being a vigilante for fun and wasn't taking it seriously, therefore could wind-up getting hurt or killed because he wasn't really a 'soldier'. When each proved themselves serious and capable her attitude changed, and she respected them.

Not sure what TV Kate's reason for being a jerk is, since neither Mary or Luke are vigilantes (and unlike the comics Kate isn't all that experienced at it either), other than emotional immaturity.

I think TV Kate is just childish, and will undergo emotional growth.
    I blame Sophie, to an extent.

Kate lost her sister when she was a kid. Then she allows herself to fall in love with Sophie, who may have loved her back, but then Sophie was forced to choose between Kate and the military and chose the military, and Kate was forced to leave. I'll even blame Jacob a little here- he sent Kate to train all over the world for a job he never intended on giving her. So Kate has abandonment issues and now probably finds it hard to trust people, lest she gets hurt when they inevitable let her down. And so she keeps everyone at arms length and makes no effort to be nice to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Kate has abandonment issues and now probably finds it hard to trust people, lest she gets hurt when they inevitable let her down. And so she keeps everyone at arms length and makes no effort to be nice to anyone.
    Fair point.

Don't get why she's initially nice to Supergirl though, feels like inconsistent characterization. She should have been as impatient and short with Supergirl as she was with Flash and Arrow, in Elseworlds.

Fair point.

Don't get why she's initially nice to Supergirl though, feels like inconsistent characterization. She should have been as impatient and short with Supergirl as she was with Flash and Arrow, in Elseworlds.
    She initially was short with her, too, but then they actually talked and got to know each other a bit. Plus Kara has a substantially friendlier nature than Barry and certainly Oliver.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Since Jacob has not been serving mentor role in the TV series like he does in the comics, I wonder if Kate will get someone else as mentor, or if they'll keep her figuring it out as she goes.

Flash had 'Wells' and Joe, and Supergirl had Cat Grant, Martian Manhunter, and Alex. Who does Kate have guiding her.

We saw Kate had a teacher in the pilot, and brief mention that Julia trained her too, but nothing so far is shown of an actual mentor role. Seriously, who can she turn to other than Luke, who is really a peer.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 12-09-2019 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    She initially was short with her, too, but then they actually talked and got to know each other a bit. Plus Kara has a substantially friendlier nature than Barry and certainly Oliver.
    Barry is pretty friendly, but he's not the ray of sunshine and rainbows that is Kara .
    Since Jacob has not been serving mentor role in the TV series like he does in the comics, I wonder if Kate will get someone else as mentor, or if they'll keep her figuring it out as she goes.

Flash had 'Wells' and Joe, and Supergirl had Cat Grant, Martian Manhunter, and Alex. Who does Kate have guiding her.

We saw Kate had a teacher in the pilot, and brief mention that Julia trained her too, but nothing so far is shown of an actual mentor role. Seriously, who can she turn to other than Luke, who is really a peer.
    Kevin Conroy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Barry is pretty friendly, but he's not the ray of sunshine and rainbows that is Kara .

Kevin Conroy ?
    Was about to say that myself. Some of the promos have shown the two of them talking outside the initial encounter.