Page 104 of 233 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Only from the die hard LGBT crowd who believe an LGBT actor / actress can play anyone but only an LGBT actor / actress should be allowed to play a gay character. Or the homophobes but who cares about them. Its charisma and acting. Neil Patrick Harris did an amazing job playing a hetero womanizer on How I Met Your Mother. Tatiana Maslany did amazing playing both hetero and lesbian characters on Orphan Black. Eliza Taylor does great on The 100 playing a bi (but mostly lesbian) character on The 100 even though she is straight.

Whoever gets the role is going to have to have tremendous charisma in the role to keep it from failing hard so they have to go with best available.
    Sadly the Internet does not work that way. Rose "not being lesbian enough" is proof that any group has its idiots.
    They could cast the best actress but certain people would focus on her being straight.

And I think it would be best if they go the Rhodey route with this. New Actor but just continue with the series.

I personally would prefer a hollywood where the actors sexuality and religion are irrelevant to what is a visual medium (such things should be more the focus of writers and directors, Actors are metely vectors of those ideas) , however I'm also aware of how hideously biased hollywood is so I understand why some people see "Only X can play X" as the only way to get minority representation on screen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I personally would prefer a hollywood where the actors sexuality and religion are irrelevant to what is a visual medium (such things should be more the focus of writers and directors, Actors are metely vectors of those ideas) , however I'm also aware of how hideously biased hollywood is so I understand why some people see "Only X can play X" as the only way to get minority representation on screen.
    Problem is, even if they get the "right" actor for a role, the reaction is often "not **** enough"
    I think that yes it would be best if they choose the actor they think is best for the role regardless of sexuality and religion. But sadly as said before, it does not work that way with a loud minority in a group.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 05-20-2020 at 02:27 AM.

Ultimate Member

Well remember that actress that played Storm in the latest X-Men movie got flak because to some she wasn't black enough to play Storm, due to her mother being white...

I hope the show survives this upheaval - so much may be down to how well the new actress is received, and if she can carry the show.

I'm still excited for season 2, but this announcement leaves a bitter aftertaste at the moment.

BANNED

That is my hope, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Batwoman is Kate Kane, even if she has to now have a different face. Whoever takes over the role will still be playing Kate Kane.

If they wanted to do a White Canary show, that's fine, but Sara Lance cannot be Batwoman.
    You have that backwards. Kate Kane is Batwoman at the moment but Batwoman is merely the costume. Anyone can be under the mask. Countless examples of others taking up the mask in comics. There were multiple Black Canaries on Arrow as well.

This is a bad situation for the show, I'm just trying to come up with ideas to save it because it was already on thin ice ratings and reception wise and this could easily kill it.

I still think the best idea is my first one and move Rachel Skarsten into the role of Batwoman. She has been pretty much carrying the show anyway.
    I can't see Alice being redeemed which is why I think you bring back alt verse Beth instead. They are bringing Bruce Wayne on to the show so have him train her saying the city needs a Batwoman.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

You have that backwards. Kate Kane is Batwoman at the moment but Batwoman is merely the costume. Anyone can be under the mask. Countless examples of others taking up the mask in comics. There were multiple Black Canaries on Arrow as well.

This is a bad situation for the show, I'm just trying to come up with ideas to save it because it was already on thin ice ratings and reception wise and this could easily kill it.

I still think the best idea is my first one and move Rachel Skarsten into the role of Batwoman. She has been pretty much carrying the show anyway.
    I can't see Alice being redeemed which is why I think you bring back alt verse Beth instead. They are bringing Bruce Wayne on to the show so have him train her saying the city needs a Batwoman.
    What about the actress that is doing Julia Pennyworth?

I don't think that was ever in the show's favor.

Kate Kane is, like, the only Batwoman. The whole show and identity is based around her unless they spring Kathy Kane on us and I don't see that happening.
    I think the ratings issue has been overblown.
    By that logic Rachel Skarsten should just play the new Kate Kane .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    By that logic Rachel Skarsten should just play the new Kate Kane .
    Well in the comics they are identical twins. Can't recall if the show ever specified or not.

Yeah we can all see that its not the same person and wonder how anyone gets fooled but its no more ridiculous than Clark or Kara wearing a pair of glasses and suddenly no one recognizes them as Superman / Supergirl.

Have real Kate die offscreen (unless they can convince Ruby to come back for one episode) and Beth decide to step in to the role pretending to be Kate since real Beth is a wanted criminal.

If the movies can recast Batman time and time again, Batwoman can survive recasting the lead. It would derail the story too much to have season two be about someone else taking the mantle, learning the ropes, finding their motivation, etc. all over again. Batwoman is Kate Kane - Bruce Wayne's cousin. No reason to lose that.

Well in the comics they are identical twins. Can't recall if the show ever specified or not.

Yeah we can all see that its not the same person and wonder how anyone gets fooled but its no more ridiculous than Clark or Kara wearing a pair of glasses and suddenly no one recognizes them as Superman / Supergirl.

Have real Kate die offscreen (unless they can convince Ruby to come back for one episode) and Beth decide to step in to the role pretending to be Kate since real Beth is a wanted criminal.
    I can't help but think a recasting would be more plausible then trying to make Beth Batwoman.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't help but think a recasting would be more plausible then trying to make Beth Batwoman.
    Seriously. Beth as Batwoman would be a disaster-in-a-half.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The biggest problem here is finding someone with the subtle attitude and presence Ruby brought to the role. I don't envy the people in charge of recasting.

BANNED

They’ll just have a new character take on the mantle