Page 126 of 233 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176226 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    "Just to also respect everything that Ruby [Rose] put into the Kate Kane character."

No, I'm sorry. To hell with respect. Ruby quit. She couldn't hack it, and she quit. She didn't like working the schedule, and she quit. If she couldn't respect them enough to either stick it out, or even better- seriously consider what it would mean to take the lead in a network superhero show, and let them know before they even started filming that she wouldn't be able to do it, then why the hell should they respect anything that she's done?

If I'm going to watch Batwoman, I want to watch Kate Kane. I don't care who's under the mask. I don't give two s**** about some new character I've never heard of, and who sounds absolutely terrible.

And what makes me the most angry is that I really, REALLY wanted a World's Finest crossover between Kate and Supergirl. I really, REALLY wanted to grow to like the show. Now I have no reason to bother with it anymore.

Actually, what I would like to know is did Ruby know, doing Elseworlds, that there would be a chance that a series would be created based on her character? Or did she just thing she was doing a small guest spot, and maybe they may bring her in for more crossovers in the future? Because Berlanti does have a track record of hiring actors for small parts that end up becoming larger, whether they want to or not.

I don't see how creating an entire new character is respecting Ruby Rose, if anything respect her and keep her character on the show and just recast her, that would be respect. Removing Ruby Roses character all together seems like they are removing anything Ruby had to do with the show.

I am still so upset by this choice

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post
    I don't see how creating an entire new character is respecting Ruby Rose, if anything respect her and keep her character on the show and just recast her, that would be respect. Removing Ruby Roses character all together seems like they are removing anything Ruby had to do with the show.
    They mean in the sense of letting the role of Kate stay with her, and not bringing in someone else to play the same role, which would naturally create comparisons. There will no doubt be comparisons between Kate and Ryan, but those will be down to the characters, not the actors.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Ultimate Member

"

Actually, what I would like to know is did Ruby know, doing Elseworlds, that there would be a chance that a series would be created based on her character? Or did she just thing she was doing a small guest spot, and maybe they may bring her in for more crossovers in the future? Because Berlanti does have a track record of hiring actors for small parts that end up becoming larger, whether they want to or not.
    It depends on how serious they were about doing a show with her.

Was that ever discussed before that episode? There might not have been any plans.

Also after the pilot ws green lighted=it was not set in stone that it was a go. Remember there were some other shows that had higher interest at that time like The Lost Boys. What show decided to end that gave it a slot.

She might have gone in all willing and able but you can only put up with BS for so long from fans who made it clear they don't want you. Ask John Boyega. Ash Mechad Brooks how many death threats he got or Supergirl.

Astonishing Member

"Just to also respect everything that Ruby [Rose] put into the Kate Kane character."

No, I'm sorry. To hell with respect. Ruby quit. She couldn't hack it, and she quit. She didn't like working the schedule, and she quit. If she couldn't respect them enough to either stick it out, or even better- seriously consider what it would mean to take the lead in a network superhero show, and let them know before they even started filming that she wouldn't be able to do it, then why the hell should they respect anything that she's done?

If I'm going to watch Batwoman, I want to watch Kate Kane. I don't care who's under the mask. I don't give two s**** about some new character I've never heard of, and who sounds absolutely terrible.

And what makes me the most angry is that I really, REALLY wanted a World's Finest crossover between Kate and Supergirl. I really, REALLY wanted to grow to like the show. Now I have no reason to bother with it anymore.
    Quitting isn't bad in itself, from what it looks like she underestimated the workload she could handle and broke from the pressure. That's not about respect, it's about being able to know your limits. Being a lead she would have had a larger workload than most on the show, and that's not getting into the harassment she's received online. Lead roles on tv are terrible for all sorts of reasons, like not having a healthy life/work balance. Not everyone is cut out to thrive in that work space. This isn't a regular 9-5 job.

I'm fine with a recast, too.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post
    I had been holding out hope that the new character news was fake but now sadly Caroline Dries has confirmed it is true.
    What a disappointing choice and coz they think the fans cant handle the soap opera switch.
    I hope they change their minds and keep Kate Kane, recast not replace.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbo...showrunner-cw/
    If Ruby Rose had had a longer tenure as the character then one crossover episode and a season that was cut short, I would feel this is warranted, but that's not the case here. Considering how the studio seemed fine with Ruby leaving, this just seems even stranger to me.

And if Greg Berlanti thinks they can reboot the main character, they may as well just reboot the whole show and throw out the supporting cast, Crows, the costume, etc. that was all designed for Kate and just make it a new show. That makes as much sense as just rebooting the lead with a random new character. I can't believe Berlanti thought that was a better idea then just recasting.

For such a "great idea" it seems to be universally disliked by the fandom and online.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It depends on how serious they were about doing a show with her.

Was that ever discussed before that episode? There might not have been any plans.

Also after the pilot ws green lighted=it was not set in stone that it was a go. Remember there were some other shows that had higher interest at that time like The Lost Boys. What show decided to end that gave it a slot.

She might have gone in all willing and able but you can only put up with BS for so long from fans who made it clear they don't want you. Ask John Boyega. Ash Mechad Brooks how many death threats he got or Supergirl.
    I don't know what it was like behind the scenes, but it seemed pretty clear that they were going to spin off Batwoman's appearance in Elseworlds into her own TV show. I don't remember if that was mentioned in the press release or anything.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Just kill the show. It isn't Batwoman if it's not Kate.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

When did Ruby Rose become an iconic television presence? Replacing Mark Harmon on NCIS with someone new to play Gibbs is one thing, but this is quite different.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Just kill the show. It isn't Batwoman if it's not Kate.
    I'll still give it a try, but it's going to be a miracle and then some if it lasts beyond Season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    When did Ruby Rose become an iconic television presence? Replacing Mark Harmon on NCIS with someone new to play Gibbs is one thing, but this is quite different.
    Yeah, if this had been 6+ seasons of Ruby Rose Batwoman, that would be one thing...but it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, if this had been 6+ seasons of Ruby Rose Batwoman, that would be one thing...but it isn't.
    Agreed. I don't understand the thinking here at all.

Ultimate Member

Maybe because it's a female lead and lgbtq lead show on the CW...or not...

But yeah in the grand scheme of things the show could go away with little to no real wake in the tv landscape...

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    They mean in the sense of letting the role of Kate stay with her, and not bringing in someone else to play the same role, which would naturally create comparisons. There will no doubt be comparisons between Kate and Ryan, but those will be down to the characters, not the actors.
    What's the problem with that? That's how Hollywood works. Just get a new actress. The show's way too deep in Kate Kane drama to throw it all away because the actress was a fraud.
    "Cable was right!"

And, honestly, nothing I've read about "Ryan Wilder" has convinced me she would work as the new Batwoman beyond surface traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    What's the problem with that? That's how Hollywood works. Just get a new actress. The show's way too deep in Kate Kane drama to throw it all away because the actress was a fraud.
    Wow. RR didn't leave because she was a fraud, WTH?

Anyway, to answer your question: it's a problem because if they recast, it would be unfair to both actresses, old and new. I'm not saying I agree with the decision, but I get that this was likely one of the angles they considered here, and it's a reasonable one. I can totally understand not wanting to invite unfair comparisons on someone you know and have worked closely with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    When did Ruby Rose become an iconic television presence?
    How does that have anything to do with it? Maybe it's not down to her being a TV icon, but instead being, y'know, their former lead and (coworker? employee?) who left under stressful circumstances.
    Last edited by Caivu; 06-07-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    How does that have anything to do with it? Maybe it's not down to her being a TV icon, but instead being, y'know, their former lead and (coworker? employee?) who left under stressful circumstances.
    Because she was on a show for only a season and the average person thinks "Ruby Rose" is a floral arrangement? IOW, there's no reason we can't have a new Kate instead of a new character, because Ruby wasn't embedded into the consciousnesses of the American people as Batwoman. As Frontier said earlier, if she had been in the role for 6 seasons, then that would be different.