Page 111 of 233 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Why does it have to be another LGBT actress?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Why does it have to be another LGBT actress?
    Among other things, because replacing an actress who is with one who isn't looks, ah, really bad, especially when the character is perhaps the highest-profile lesbian in superhero comics (if not comics, full stop).

Besides, why shouldn't it be?
    Last edited by Caivu; 05-25-2020 at 04:49 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Among other things, because replacing an actress who is with one who isn't looks, ah, really bad, especially when the character is perhaps the highest-profile lesbian in superhero comics (if not comics, full stop).

Besides, why shouldn't it be?
    I don't think the actor's personal sexuality has anything to do with the character. As there have been many examples.

Will you agree to block a LGBT actor for a straight character?

I mean, I think it's important for an LGBTQ actor to actually play LGBTQ characters just as much as it would be for actors of certain ethnicities to play characters who share their background.

Especially when there are already too many examples of straight actors playing gay characters.

Will you agree to block a LGBT actor for a straight character?
    No. Nor do I think a straight actor should be necessarily blocked from an LGBT role. But in the second case, it's worth questioning those involved in the casting why that was done.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I think it's important for an LGBTQ actor to actually play LGBTQ characters just as much as it would be for actors of certain ethnicities to play characters who share their background.

Especially when there are already too many examples of straight actors playing gay characters.
    No, if you don't want straight actors to play gay character, you shouldn't allow gay actors to play straight characters.

It's all about acting skills and do they fit the character. Many real life couples have less chemistry on stage than those who hate each other off the stage.

No, if you don't want straight actors to play gay character, you shouldn't allow gay actors to play straight characters.
    No. You're trying to make it out like there's a logical contradiction here, and there's not, because the two things are not of equal weight.

No. You're trying to make it out like there's a logical contradiction here, and there's not, because the two things are not of equal weight.
    It is the logical contradiction.

If you want the actor's sexuality to be linked with their roles, then you need to not being hypocrite.

And it was not the case obviously, many good LGBT characters were played by straight actors, just like many good straight character are played by LGBT actors. I don't see a reason to block either side rather than pick the right actor.

It is the logical contradiction.
    No it isn't. The situations are not equal. LGBT people are still discriminated against for their sexualities and/or gender identities, while straight cis people are not (before anyone says it, this is not an example of straight discrimination, because straight people can still get LGBT roles). That's the point.

I don't really care if the next batwoman is really gay or not just be a good acter that's all that matters.

No it isn't. The situations are not equal. LGBT people are still discriminated against for their sexualities and/or gender identities, while straight cis people are not (before anyone says it, this is not an example of straight discrimination, because straight people can still get LGBT roles). That's the point.
    The situations will only become equal if you treat both groups equally, not giving any specialty.

The situations will only become equal if you treat both groups equally, not giving any specialty.
    I agree in principle, but I think a show about gay characters and promoting diversity should practice what it preaches in terms of casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I agree in principle, but I think a show about gay characters and promoting diversity should practice what it preaches in terms of casting.
    Not really unless you agree a show about straight characters and not focusing on diversity should practice what it preaches in terms of casting.

It's all about equality and acting ability/do they fit the character, an actor should not be blocked or prejudiced because of his/her sexuality, nor should he/she gain any specialty over it.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I say have a new person be batwoman that way it levs it open for ruby rose to come back or do a guest spot down the road if she wants to.
    Uh, no. Ruby quit. So if I was in charge, I wouldn't care if she did want to come back at some point. I wouldn't even consider it.

It was one thing for Calista Flockheart to leave Supergirl after Season 1, but to come back and do the occasional guest spots. She was a main cast member, but she wasn't the lead. Her exit could be explained and not cause to big of a disruption. But it's another thing entirely for the lead to decide she doesn't want to do it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Uh, no. Ruby quit. So if I was in charge, I wouldn't care if she did want to come back at some point. I wouldn't even consider it.

It was one thing for Calista Flockheart to leave Supergirl after Season 1, but to come back and do the occasional guest spots. She was a main cast member, but she wasn't the lead. Her exit could be explained and not cause to big of a disruption. But it's another thing entirely for the lead to decide she doesn't want to do it anymore.
    Yeah unless it could be written well.

It did happen before in DC series, Superboy being the example, as long as the new cast is good I don't see a problem.