Page 146 of 233 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156196 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    So do I

Black Narcissus AFAIK is a new character; introduced in Cyborg Rebirth. Besides her background there shes mostly a blank slate which means they could develop a lot of unique story with and around her without ruffling any "thats not like in the CBs!!!1" feathers.

But of course its a risk since shes basically unknown so they cowardly pick the "take a known brand and hope it flys well; consequences to the known brand be damned!" route. As usual. And even have the guts to call that progressive on top of it. Its not progressive. Its cheap, its cowardly, and disrespectful; borderline racist, to the brand and to the PoC which get told "you are not good enough for your own unique character" not in words but in action. And all the world is applauding. Its saddening
    What I'm really starting to hate is how they are lauding making a black woman the hero of the show, like there aren't any other black heroines on TV right now. Hell, there is a black lesbian superhero on Black Lightning; while she may not be the 'Lead', I'd call her a co-lead at this point. There is a Arabic Muslim heroine on Legends, I believe a Latina heroine on the Flash (Allegra?) and a Latina and Black heroines on Stargirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Wouldn't Kitty Pryde and Ben Grimm be more well known?
    Maybe the highest-profile DC Superhero then. Though I don't think I ever knew Ben was Jewish. But then, I don't really read Fantastic Four.

Since my comment was in direct reference to Kate being a replaced minority, and given the thread we're in I'd have thought the context of it being about DC and the Arrowverse a taken, but fine, I'll play.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Wouldn't Kitty Pryde and Ben Grimm be more well known?
    Kitty Pryde I've vaguely heard of, never heard it mentioned in her stories she was a Jew but okay. No idea who the other one is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    And how does Moon Knight fit into this ie his profile? He's Jewish and is supposed to be getting a series on Disney+.
    Never heard of him until the show announcement, didn't even know he was Jewish until you said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Magneto is a hero now.
    Villain, mostly known as a villain.

Which ones had a Holiday special where they did Hanukkah? She also celebrated Hanukkah with Renee in her debut in the 52 storyline. Do any of them occasionally speak in Yiddish? Because in Batwoman's last solo, she occasionally mutters things in Yiddish.

In Elegy, basically her full intro, she refers to Jewish beliefs in regards to her choice of color scheme for her Batsuit. Her apartment design is inspired by the Tree of Life. And a Menorah is also visible in her comics apartment. On her mother's grave is the Star of David. At her mother's funeral, the funeral goers, including Bruce, shovel dirt onto the coffin. In her second solo she gets accused of refusing to eat something because it isn't kosher. This same person finds it strange she has tattoos, she corrects them on both assumptions (sort of, she's a stoic type).

There are other references in her comics as well, but I don't have time to sit here and go through my comics collection and find them all for you.

Are those other heroes (Magneto is known mostly as a villain) that specifically Jewish? With Batwoman it's rather inescapable. Swap-out Kate's religion and her character is changed fundamentally.

Now in DC we have Harley Quinn and Ragman. Harley of course isn't a hero. Ragman is not particularly well known.

https://www.thefandomentals.com/tria...batman-jewish/
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 07-16-2020 at 01:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Ben Grimm is the Thing from the Fantastic Four.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Kitty Pryde I've vaguely heard of, never heard it mentioned in her stories she was a Jew but okay. No idea who the other one is.
    Kitty Pryde's been a very popular X-man since inception in the comics but not in the A-list, she's founding member of Excalibur. Where she gets well known is the X-men movies, she slowly grew more important starting as a random student who passed through a door until she became a prominent supporting cast X-man in The Last Stand and Days of Future past when she was played by Ellen Page.

Ben Grimm is the Thing from the Fantastic Four.

Never heard of him until the show announcement, didn't even know he was Jewish until you said it.
    I think it was a recent addition, I've been fan of MK's for years but he's never been acknowledged as Jewish to my recollection. Disney+ won't have the reach the movies do, so he might be around Kate's level when it gets going.

Villain, mostly known as a villain.

Which ones had a Holiday special where they did Hanukkah? She also celebrated Hanukkah with Renee in her debut in the 52 storyline. Do any of them occasionally speak in Yiddish? Because in Batwoman's last solo, she occasionally mutters things in Yiddish.

In Elegy, basically her full intro, she refers to Jewish beliefs in regards to her choice of color scheme for her Batsuit. Her apartment design is inspired by the Tree of Life. And a Menorah is also visible in her comics apartment. On her mother's grave is the Star of David. At her mother's funeral, the funeral goers, including Bruce, shovel dirt onto the coffin. In her second solo she gets accused of refusing to eat something because it isn't kosher. This same person finds it strange she has tattoos, she corrects them on both assumptions (sort of, she's a stoic type).[/quote]

Do they do any of this on the show?

There are other references in her comics as well, but I don't have time to sit here and go through my comics collection and find them all for you.

Are those other heroes (Magneto is known mostly as a villain) that specifically Jewish? With Batwoman it's rather inescapable. Swap-out Kate's religion and her character is changed fundamentally.

Now in DC we have Harley Quinn and Ragman. Harley of course isn't a hero. Ragman is not particularly well known.

https://www.thefandomentals.com/tria...batman-jewish/
    I didn't know Harley was Jewish.

Kitty Pryde I've vaguely heard of, never heard it mentioned in her stories she was a Jew but okay.
    Thats got to be your age showing then. Kitty was introduced around 1980 and was pretty much the focal point character for most stories told in the X-men over the decade. She was brought in to appeal to younger readers and many stories were framed from her point of view. Then she was a main character in Excalibur well into the 90's. She then went into periodic limbo over the 2000's which is I'm guessing where you probably started thus your not being familiar with her unless you literally never read Marvel. She was so popular back in the 80's that many creators reference her as being their favorite character as a kid. Joss Whedon for instance has brought up Kitty as being part of what inspired him to create Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Anyway, her being Jewish was referenced a lot in stories. I can't recall the issue right now or how it came up but I do recall she got into an argument with a black character about racism and discrimination and Kitty dropped a holocaust reference since being written back in the 80's Kitty's parents were actually of an age they could have been children during the holocaust. There was also another where the same black character was racesplaining to Kitty how she couldn't possibly understand discrimination and how it was different for mutants and Kitty dropped the N word at her in a explanatory way saying that calling her a mutie or Jew was no different when used in a derogatory way.
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 07-16-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Kitty Pryde was introduced wearing a star of David which she used to wear all the time.

Moon Knight, Marc Spectre's father was established as a Rabbi way back in the Meonch/Sienkievicz series.

Ben Grimm aka The Thing always talks about "Yancy Street" which was a stand-in for "Delancey St" in downtown NYC which was a Jewish slum way back when he originally would have been a kid before sliding timescales.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Thats got to be your age showing then. Kitty was introduced around 1980 and was pretty much the focal point character for most stories told in the X-men over the decade. She was brought in to appeal to younger readers and many stories were framed from her point of view. Then she was a main character in Excalibur well into the 90's. She then went into periodic limbo over the 2000's which is I'm guessing where you probably started thus your not being familiar with her unless you literally never read Marvel. She was so popular back in the 80's that many creators reference her as being their favorite character as a kid. Joss Whedon for instance has brought up Kitty as being part of what inspired him to create Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Anyway, her being Jewish was referenced a lot in stories. I can't recall the issue right now or how it came up but I do recall she got into an argument with a black character about racism and discrimination and Kitty dropped a holocaust reference since being written back in the 80's Kitty's parents were actually of an age they could have been children during the holocaust. There was also another where the same black character was racesplaining to Kitty how she couldn't possibly understand discrimination and how it was different for mutants and Kitty dropped the N word at her in a explanatory way saying that calling her a mutie or Jew was no different when used in a derogatory way.
    That was in God Loves, Man Kills. IIRC, a Black character used the term 'Mutie', to which she responded something like 'And how would you like if I called you a N****R?" And yes, they used the full, uncensored word in the story.

One of the most memorable instances of showing her background as a Jew was back in the 80's, when she and Magneto (who was a hero at that time and the head of Xavier's School) went to a reunion of Holocaust survivors. Kitty's grandparents, I think survived the camps, and Magneto was a Holocaust survivor himself.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    That was in God Loves, Man Kills. IIRC, a Black character used the term 'Mutie', to which she responded something like 'And how would you like if I called you a N****R?" And yes, they used the full, uncensored word in the story.

One of the most memorable instances of showing her background as a Jew was back in the 80's, when she and Magneto (who was a hero at that time and the head of Xavier's School) went to a reunion of Holocaust survivors. Kitty's grandparents, I think survived the camps, and Magneto was a Holocaust survivor himself.
    To some, she has never lived that down...

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Thats got to be your age showing then. Kitty was introduced around 1980 and was pretty much the focal point character for most stories told in the X-men over the decade.
    Well yeah, I wasn't even born let alone reading comics.

The thing about Ben is that while Stan and Jack may have originally envisioned him as being Jewish (the whole golem comparison and everything), it wasn't explicitly said in the comics until 2004 or so.

Magneto's heritage typically comes front and center, but in terms of outside the comic books, Kitty is the only Marvel character I can think of. She was shown celebrating Hanukkah on X-Men Evolution.

A lot of times, a character's faith won't show up in an adaptation. Doc Samson isn't exactly high profile, but the comics have established him as Jewish, and I don't think that's ever come up in any of the cartoons he has appeared in.

Such a shame first DC end Batwoman comic series, then Supergirl and now Batgirl is ending too. What is DC doing to these amazing heroes?
    Also lets not forget Kate Kane is removed as Batwoman in her own TV series.
    Things just keep getting worse so far

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post
    Such a shame first DC end Batwoman comic series, then Supergirl and now Batgirl is ending too. What is DC doing to these amazing heroes?
    If not enough people are buying the books to keep them going how is that DC fault?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Magneto's heritage typically comes front and center, but in terms of outside the comic books, Kitty is the only Marvel character I can think of. She was shown celebrating Hanukkah on X-Men Evolution.

A lot of times, a character's faith won't show up in an adaptation. Doc Samson isn't exactly high profile, but the comics have established him as Jewish, and I don't think that's ever come up in any of the cartoons he has appeared in.
    Harley Quinn is also Jewish. I think that came up as a joke in Holiday Knight's and in that episode where she goes to visit her family in her own cartoon.

BANNED

I would be surprised if the series makes it past season 2. CW should have humbled themselves and axed the show.

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post

I'm not loosing any sleep over Batgirl being canceled. I haven't agreed with the direction the book has been going since the New52, and it only got worse when they suddenly made her like 15 years younger.

Supergirl pisses me off, though. Along with the Leviathan comic being indefinitely postponed, which leave the fate of Eliza up in the air, there are about a dozen plot threads that have been left hanging.

And Batwoman needs her own comic book again. Hell, if the show runners can't respect the character, maybe the comic side would.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If not enough people are buying the books to keep them going how is that DC fault?
    Is it a matter of sales, or is it that they are cycling out of those books to launch new ones, and intend to bring them back later?