Page 118 of 233 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Yeah, I've just ignored that whole argument. Mostly because the producers have stated that they are looking for an LGBTQ actress to take the roll, so the whole argument is moot.

I feel like the Crows should go away next season. If anything, it should be the GCPD taking a hard line against Batwoman, maybe with a crooked Commissioner. Then have something happen to get her on the good side of the GCPD, and by the end of the season introduce a new Commissioner who will work with her. Hell, if they can, take a page out of Batman Beyond and make the new Commish Barbara Gordon.
    I'd actually kind of prefer it if they focus on the GCPD trying to repair their reputation and take the city back from The Crows through good, honest, police work and the help of a vigilante.

Titans has Barbara showing up so I kind of don't expect her to appear. I don't know what the status of A-list Batman character is for the creators.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    So anyway! If you could go back and make some changes/improvements to the show, what would you choose?

Personally, if I had to keep Alice in, I'd make her more of a big deal. She doesn't show up often, but when she does, she's portrayed as a real threat to Kate, like how the Dark Archer was to Oliver in Season 1 and Kate figuring out they're sisters would be more towards the middle of the season, rather than at the start.

I figure this is more sensible than having Kate constantly let her go all season.
    Never read the Batwoman comics, so i don't know if the Alice mystery was something those fans would know going in, but I'd have played up Alice as being connected to the deaths of Beth and Gabi Kane but hold off on the reveal (at least to Kate) for a bit. Kate letting her escape would be due to Alice dropping little hints about what happened. Alice's weird psychosis would render her immune to torture. And I'd play up the corruption hints with the Crows enough that Kate would have to worry Alice might have a convenient "accident" along with a few links to some Crows possibly being tied to the Kane murders. So the only way Kate could keep her talking would be to not let her be captured.

I also would either have had Kate stay away from Bruce's holdings (other than the Batcave) or made her the person left in charge in Bruce's abscence so instead of the round-a-bout Club/Real-estate job she'd actually be running a recovering Wayne Enterprises. The show really seemed lost on finding an out-of-costume job for Kate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Never read the Batwoman comics, so i don't know if the Alice mystery was something those fans would know going in, but I'd have played up Alice as being connected to the deaths of Beth and Gabi Kane but hold off on the reveal (at least to Kate) for a bit.
    Alice's identity was never treated as a mystery to solve, and the fallout of that information was way more important than the fact itself. The circumstances were changed a lot in the show, but it also did that same thing.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I'd have treated the show's main villain like the other CW shows. Alice is the main story, but not every episode is 100% focused on it. Each episode deals a little with something that would get them closer to defeating that villain, but not every episode is completely about it. You had that somewhat with Magpie and Hush, but even Hush was tied to the hip with Alice at the end. Most of the episodes completely revolved around her.

The actress that plays her is fantastic in the role, and the character is great, but the show just felt like it was running in circles at points as she was constantly there.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I'd have treated the show's main villain like the other CW shows. Alice is the main story, but not every episode is 100% focused on it. Each episode deals a little with something that would get them closer to defeating that villain, but not every episode is completely about it. You had that somewhat with Magpie and Hush, but even Hush was tied to the hip with Alice at the end. Most of the episodes completely revolved around her.

The actress that plays her is fantastic in the role, and the character is great, but the show just felt like it was running in circles at points as she was constantly there.
    I think they should give Batwoman more of a Rogues Gallery but they might be playing it "safe" until they figure out who they have access to.

Alice's story should've been over by the midseason finale, or at least after episode 15 or so.

She did NOT carry the whole season well.

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    Also, the two major female couples in the Arrowverse (Ava&Sara and Anissa&Grace) are played by four straight women. There was clearly nothing standing in their way of getting those roles so I don't see why, again, this one specific role going towards a lesbian actress is an issue.
    And there is Alex Danvers on Supergirl. Played by Chyler Leigh, who is married with children. She was paired with Floriana Lima, who is also straight, as Maggie Sawyer. Don't know about Azie Tesfai, who plays Kelly Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Then why should her sexuality be such a big thing. What does it have to with the actor's sexuality at all?
    Because that is what the producers want and it is their show. And there would be a lot less backlash if they hire a lesbian to play a lesbian than there would be to hire a straight to play a lesbian.
    So it is sort of a matter of avoiding as much negative publicity as possible. Almost no one cares if a straight actor doesn't get the role. The people that would complain probably don't watch the show anyway.
    A lot of people will care if a lesbian doesn't get the role. And those are the people that would watch the show. So the idea is to make as many fans happy as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think they should give Batwoman more of a Rogues Gallery but they might be playing it "safe" until they figure out who they have access to.
    Yeah, pretty sure characters like Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow, Catwoman, Bane are off limits. It will be the more obscure ones like Magpie, Nocturna. Surprised they even got to use Hush.

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    Yes I was actually. Thank you I wasn't sure if Nia was a direct rip from the comics or an original character. I just knew the character was supposed to have ties to the Legion.

Also, the two major female couples in the Arrowverse (Ava&Sara and Anissa&Grace) are played by four straight women. There was clearly nothing standing in their way of getting those roles so I don't see why, again, this one specific role going towards a lesbian actress is an issue.
    There is one important difference. All of those characters were/are supporting characters, whereas Kate is the Lead character of the show.

Sara started off as a supporting character, and was originally killed off. I don't think the producers ever thought she'd be so popular, and I'm pretty sure it was never considered that she would be the lead of her own show. But, ultimately, that's what ended up happening. Even if Legends is a team show, she does have the staring roll.

Ava was created to give Sara a new love interest, again as a supporting character. It can be argued that now she is more like a co-lead.

Alex and Maggie were also mentioned. I don't know if they always planned on Alex being gay, or if that was something that just sort of evolved with the character. Again, she's not the lead, she's a supporting character. For Maggie- everything I heard was that she was supposed to be a guest star for a few episodes, and her roll kind of evolved into a permanent one until she asked for her release. But again, supporting character.

Anissa and Grace are, again, supporting characters, and Black Lightning is the star.

But for Kate, she IS the lead. And her character has always been a Lesbian in the comics. So they want to honor that by casting a Lesbian actress.

In an ideal world, there would be no biases and people would get jobs on merit. But it's not. And LGBTQ actors are finally starting to get good roles, after years of discrimination and blacklisting. So if they want to cast an LGBTQ actress for the lead role in a superhero show, who are we to argue with that?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

So Ruby Rose isn't the only one getting replaced. So is Kate Kane according to a leak on reddit
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...arture-1296951

Brand new character for the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    So Ruby Rose isn't the only one getting replaced. So is Kate Kane according to a leak on reddit

This is so incredibly stupid if true.

Why is it so hard to just recast an actor. Do they seriously think people just can't understand it? You see a new actor playing the character, it takes (maybe) one episode to get used to it, and you move on.

By today's logic every third James Bond movie would be a reboot.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Ugh. Not looking forward to how they try to make all the characters relevant for a new Batwoman. Luke is the easiest, Jacob second since he's head Crow. Alice and Mary and Sophia? I don't know... it wouldn't surprise me if some of them get written out.

Maybe this will be good news for people who are sick of Alice.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-02-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    This is so incredibly stupid if true.

Why is it so hard to just recast an actor. Do they seriously think people just can't understand it? You see a new actor playing the character, it takes (maybe) one episode to get used to it, and you move on.

By today's logic every third James Bond movie would be a reboot.
    I bet it's two things:
    - Their statement after Rose left was that it opened things up creatively. They might just like being able to create their own hero unbeholden to comic book lore and take her in whatever direction they want.
    - Ruby Rose returning isn't off the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post

An unconfirmed Reddit leak should be enough of a description for anyone to know how much credence to give this. THR and others have no other sources, and they still get it wrong that the supposed new character is a lead role. This is bunk for now until there's official word.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Its true: https://decider.com/2020/06/02/batwo...kane-batwoman/

I agree its rather dumb. Main characters have been recast before. Superboy continued on just fine after John Haymes Newton was replaced with Gerard Christopher. The recast was actually better.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

The cast of the show are scratching their heads about this latest news.