Page 18 of 233 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Did a slight bit of digging for you:

The First Look clip has more positive than negative as of this writing 1.8k vs 675, and the Titans original trailer still has more negative than positive as well with 10k up vs 27k down. Hope that puts things into perspective for you.
    That's good to know, but it doesn't change the fact that the trailer was pretty clearly targeted.

A better metric is views, I think, and right now the Batwoman trailer has been literally 5 times as popular as everything else from CW's upfronts in that regard. By itself it has about 2.1 million views right now, and all the other promos, trailers, etc from yesterday, amounting to a dozen videos, have 400k views combined if we're generous.

If the CW's looking at anything, it's views. It'd be pretty dumb for any company to pay attention to like bars or whatever for how easily those are manipulated.

Shifting gears, there's a new, very quick shot in the 2019-2020 season trailer:

NewScene.jpg

I still can't tell if this is on location on not (even though they're fictionalizing the Academy); it looks so close to the Arvin Cadet Physical Development Center, but I can't find photos that show the entire exterior, so I just don't know.

Other notes...

Sophie's uniform looks very close to West Point's "As For Class" uniform (the belt loops are too thick, and the back pockets are different). But maybe it's an older uniform. Her hair's almost certainly out of regs here, though; ponytails, IIRC, are only authorized for PE and stuff.
    Last edited by Caivu; 05-17-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

This looks like it might be pretty good.

But back to the Batwoman Trailer: At no point did she say all men suck, or Batman sucks - she awkwardly said the suit is for a man, but I'm a woman and I'm being mistaken for a man.

In other words she felt the female equivalent of being emasculated and neither wanted to wear a suit that was tailored male (it wouldn't have fit anyway), nor wanted people to believe she was a man. Think of it as how some men might not be comfortable wearing an outfit designed for women, or having people keep calling them a woman - then go vise versa.

That last line in particular spelled-out that she is proudly a woman, but possibly overcompensating which means she may be insecure of her femininity. Being proudly a man or woman doesn't mean you hate the other.

And as I've said in other posts, it's fine, but it makes her come across as very insecure.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-21-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post

...But back to the Batwoman Trailer: At no point did she say all men suck, or Batman sucks - she awkwardly said the suit is for a man, but I'm a woman and I'm being mistaken for a man.

In other words she felt the female equivalent of being emasculated and neither wanted to wear a suit that was tailored male (it wouldn't have fit anyway), nor wanted people to believe she was a man. Think of it as how some men might not be comfortable wearing an outfit designed for women, or having people keep calling them a woman - then go vise versa.

That last line in particular spelled-out that she is proudly a woman, but possibly overcompensating which means she may be insecure of her femininity. Being proudly a man or woman doesn't mean you hate the other.

And as I've said in other posts, it's fine, but it makes her come across as very insecure.
    I completely agree.

u/nix80908, the Redditor who claims to have seen the pilot in a test screening, had this to say when asked about the concerns from the trailer:

I will admit it's a CW-esque take on the comics. But it is still pretty good on its own. There's really no batman hate. I mean, we already know from the crossover that he is missing, so I don't feel spoilery sharing that.

But any mentions if Batman himself are like "Where is Gotham's protector?" Or flashbacks.

On the social justice topic, I am a gay man, and love seeing gay men and women represented on television. And not just some overly-stereotyped, gay-for-the-sake-of-being-gay representation... But a truely honest character who is gay.

Yeah, there's gonna be some social justice stuff discussed, but that is a reality gay men and women faced and do face. I feel like Kate's relationship with Sophie is pretty carved out in the first episode. If it were a straight couple, people probably wouldn't be up in arms about it.

The only "social justice" is short and takes place in a flashback... In fact, it's less justice, and more of a social reality.

Other than that, the show seemed pretty focused on defining the main characters, setting and fleshing out parts of a season-long arc.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this surpasses Flash as my fave CW show. It is good. No doubts.
    For the record, I believe him, since he's stayed around the show subreddit and knew what specific scene a certain shot was from (which I recognized from the audition tapes).
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Kevin Conroy is game to play Thomas Wayne in flashbacks:

https://twitter.com/RealKevinConroy/...161865728?s=19

Now that i know more about batwoman’s enemies, i hope to see a lot of them in the series.

Right? So many of them are great. Abbot, Shard, and La Llorona are my top wants.

A short interview with Rachel Skarsten about Alice. Not much new info, though.

https://tvline.com/2019/05/26/batwom...nderland-gang/

A good, if extremely short, review can be found here:

https://revengeofthemaskedscheduler.....html?spref=tw

The main points of the post:

I watched a total of 27 pilots on the five broadcast networks and they weren’t the worst crop I’ve seen but they weren’t the best either; they were sort of average with a few pleasant surprises.

As always, I pay homage to my all-time favorite wrestler Bret “Hitman” Hart who evaluated wrestlers by three simple criteria: Looks, Wrestling Ability and Mike (Promo) Skills. I evaluate the pilots in terms of Quality (is it well executed), Broad Appeal (hey this is network television we’re talking about) and Sustainability (is this a TV show or a good pilot).

I’m not a big fan of the CW super hero shows but I enjoyed BATWOMAN and will come back to see where it goes.

I’m sure that the pilots I saw will be potchkyed with over the summer so they may be different by the time you see them.

BATWOMAN (CW) B
    For reference, the highest of these letter grades was a B+ and the lowest a D.

Another interview about the production design, this time a bit about the city:
    https://www.inverse.com/article/5623...oper-interview

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Kevin Conroy is game to play Thomas Wayne in flashbacks:

https://twitter.com/RealKevinConroy/...161865728?s=19
    This is awesome news!

BANNED

I felt like I was the only one hyped for this after seeing the trailer but I'm glad people are excited for it!! I really only thought the last line of the trailer was on the nose but it seemed like a "feminist SJW etc etc" element of the series is just one people are making up. I don't remember Supergirl getting this much backlash, but then again Batman has a pretty toxic masculine side to his fanbase. Is it really so bad that a woman acknowledges that she's a woman? people are so fascinating lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I felt like I was the only one hyped for this after seeing the trailer but I'm glad people are excited for it!! I really only thought the last line of the trailer was on the nose but it seemed like a "feminist SJW etc etc" element of the series is just one people are making up. I don't remember Supergirl getting this much backlash, but then again Batman has a pretty toxic masculine side to his fanbase. Is it really so bad that a woman acknowledges that she's a woman? people are so fascinating lmao
    Self-inserted implications over one line, misread (she wanted recognition for the superheroics she was doing at that time) and taken out-of-context. Or in other words fear that Batwoman is somehow a threat to Batman, as though both characters were not owned and created by the same company, and exist in-universe together.

There are a lot of comments about her "stealing" his "identity", and his stuff. In other words many, just by a trailer, view it as she's taking his job in a hostile way - like DC 'fired' Batman and replaced him with Batwoman. Rather than what has actually happened, in that he disappeared so the position was vacant and she's continuing the family business as it were. DC didn't 'fire' Batman of course, there is no shortage of Batman media, they are promoting one of his newer and less known family-members.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 05-31-2019 at 04:19 PM.