• Renegade

1 6.25%
  • Other

2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Favorite series by Stephen J Cannell

He wrote for a lot of series, but I've included shows he either created, co-created, or held an important role with (such as story-editor).

Cannell was all over tv in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

What are some of your favorite Stephen J. Cannell series? Poll coming.

Astonishing Member

Wiseguy was a show truly ahead of its time.

The show about an undercover federal agent had distinct story arcs for each investigation with downtime episodes sprinkled throughout. If it came out 20 years later, it would be talked about in the same breath as Breaking Bad and The Wire. But since it came out in the late 80s, it was a strange mixture of prestige crime drama with 80s cop show cliches mixed in. It also had Jonathan Banks as a barely 40 year old supervisor who is already too old for this sh*t.

He had a lot of good shows, but IMHO, none matched the quality of Rockford.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Gotta go with The A-Team, but Rockford Files is a close second.

Wasn't he also connected to the original "Battlestar Galactica" and "The Fall Guy?"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Wasn't he also connected to the original "Battlestar Galactica" and "The Fall Guy?"
    It's possible because he was everywhere during that period of time. However, I haven't found anything to support it. But it's possible.

Guess. 10 char
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Retired

I didn't know Stephen J. Cannell worked on ADAM-12. I always associated that show with Jack Webb, as it has the same concept as DRAGNET--except I think ADAM-12 is even better because it's about the cops in the patrol cars and their daily routine. I always loved to watch that show and the two actors--Kent McCord and Marty Milner. And they were so clean-cut and straight in contrast to everyone else at that time, long-haired freaky people--they stuck out like sore thumbs (which I imagine is pretty true to life).

But I have to go with THE ROCKFORD FILES, because James Garner--my Dad's favourite actor.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    It's possible because he was everywhere during that period of time. However, I haven't found anything to support it. But it's possible.
    I might be confusing him with Glen A Larson who was also everywhere at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Wiseguy was a show truly ahead of its time.

The show about an undercover federal agent had distinct story arcs for each investigation with downtime episodes sprinkled throughout. If it came out 20 years later, it would be talked about in the same breath as Breaking Bad and The Wire. But since it came out in the late 80s, it was a strange mixture of prestige crime drama with 80s cop show cliches mixed in. It also had Jonathan Banks as a barely 40 year old supervisor who is already too old for this sh*t.
    I loved "Wiseguy!" Kevin Spacey was so good as Mel Profit. Too bad Ken Wahl's personal issues derailed the series, but it was great to get a Roger Loccoco arc out of it - he was one of my favorite side tv characters in the 80s.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-23-2023 at 05:42 PM.

Retired

For me it's Bellisario that I sometimes confuse with Cannell. I know the difference between them, but which shows belong to which I am fuzzy on. The point of divergence seems to be BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I didn't know Stephen J. Cannell worked on ADAM-12. I always associated that show with Jack Webb, as it has the same concept as DRAGNET--except I think ADAM-12 is even better because it's about the cops in the patrol cars and their daily routine. I always loved to watch that show and the two actors--Kent McCord and Marty Milner. And they were so clean-cut and straight in contrast to everyone else at that time, long-haired freaky people--they stuck out like sore thumbs (which I imagine is pretty true to life).
    Cannell was the Story Editor on Adam 12. Not sure what that necessarily means, but I watch Adam 12 reruns everyday. I love that show. And I kept seeing Cannell's name on the credits. That same channel also shows Rockford Files and the A-Team, which Cannell helped create. That's how I got the idea for this thread. He was involved with so many great shows over the years.

Extraordinary Member

He really had a great talent for creating great characters who bounced off each other very well.

Spectacular Member

Cannell created some of the most entertaining TV shows ever made , no doubt about it . Have to confess to really diggin' some of his shorter-lived series such as '' THE LAST PRECINCT '' , '' BROKEN BADGES '' , '' SONNY SPOON '' & '' THE HAT SQUAD '' .

Have to go A-Team.