Page 165 of 233 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175215 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    It's going to be difficult to justify half the characters being on the show since their ties to Kate are strong and it might be an awkward transition to build relationships with Ryan.
    That's the beauty of a comic book where you can just reboot the whole thing and start from scratch. Not that you couldn't do it with a TV program, but it is obviously much more problematic. Of course, Kate would never had to leave in the first place if it were a comic.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    So they set up an awesome potential storyline- a season of Tommy Eliot masquerading as Bruce Wayne- and they piss it away in one episode?

One one hand, I see why they did it. That story would only have worked with Kate- after all, she was living in his tower, and using his gear. That story just doesn't work with the new girl. That said, they could have dragged it out longer than one freaking episode.
    They could have been intending that anyway. They had to cut two episodes from lat season, so he may not have been around long to start with.

So.... what kind of training does Ryan have?
    She was a martial arts instructor.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

So they set up an awesome potential storyline- a season of Tommy Eliot masquerading as Bruce Wayne- and they piss it away in one episode?

One one hand, I see why they did it. That story would only have worked with Kate- after all, she was living in his tower, and using his gear. That story just doesn't work with the new girl. That said, they could have dragged it out longer than one freaking episode.

So.... what kind of training does Ryan have? Has she traveled the world? Learned from martial arts masters? No? She's an ex-con with street smarts that could figure out how to use the batsuit in a few hours? Oh, okay.

Not sure if this is accurate, but did I hear that Jacob was willing to accept Kate was gone without finding her body? In spite of what happened to his other daughter?!

The one- ONE- good thing I see coming out of this is that they have a built in story for where Kate is. Say she never got on the plane, that Safiyah had her intercepted and abducted, and is now holding her prisoner. Of course, this could lead to the one storyline I am beyond sick and tired of in the Arrowverse- a mind-controlled Kate attacking Ryan and her friends/family if and when they recast the roll.

This just sounds bad on every level right now, and just isn't for me. I'll be back when we get a new Kate- if the show lasts that long.
    So she stowed her bat gear on the plane, and didn’t keep it with her?

So.... what kind of training does Ryan have? Has she traveled the world? Learned from martial arts masters? No? She's an ex-con with street smarts that could figure out how to use the batsuit in a few hours? Oh, okay.

Not sure if this is accurate, but did I hear that Jacob was willing to accept Kate was gone without finding her body? In spite of what happened to his other daughter?!

The one- ONE- good thing I see coming out of this is that they have a built in story for where Kate is. Say she never got on the plane, that Safiyah had her intercepted and abducted, and is now holding her prisoner. Of course, this could lead to the one storyline I am beyond sick and tired of in the Arrowverse- a mind-controlled Kate attacking Ryan and her friends/family if and when they recast the roll.

This just sounds bad on every level right now, and just isn't for me. I'll be back when we get a new Kate- if the show lasts that long.
    I thought it was a smart move that they figured out Bruce was a fake very quickly.
    It works have annoyed me if it dragged on.
    I must admit that I actually enjoyed it more than I expected but I still am disappointed that Kate Kane was not recast.

Amazing Member

This was not a good premiere. The writing is esp bad and I do not understand why when confronting Ryan, Luke and the step sister used Kate Kane’s name. They could have just said “hey you’re not Batwoman!” And they did it again when Ryan was being chased by the Batmobile. Luke says “that’s not Bruce Wayne.....” WTF?? Couldn’t he have said “that’s not the real Batman”, it’s an imposter”

And the ending - are the writers former early season Smallville writers??

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    This was not a good premiere. The writing is esp bad and I do not understand why when confronting Ryan, Luke and the step sister used Kate Kane’s name. They could have just said “hey you’re not Batwoman!”
    They'd already used Kate's name while running up to Ryan. And Ryan had figured it out by then anyway, and is the first to mention it.

And they did it again when Ryan was being chased by the Batmobile. Luke says “that’s not Bruce Wayne.....” WTF?? Couldn’t he have said “that’s not the real Batman”, it’s an imposter”
    No one makes a connection to Ryan that Bruce Wayne is Batman. All Luke says is that a guy disguised as Bruce is chasing her.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    No one makes a connection to Ryan that Bruce Wayne is Batman. All Luke says is that a guy disguised as Bruce is chasing her.
    Yeah, but chasing her in the Batmobile.

Amazing Member

They'd already used Kate's name while running up to Ryan. And Ryan had figured it out by then anyway, and is the first to mention it.
    Yes they said Kate when running to her, but when seeing her they said “you’re not Kate Kane”. Also Ryan read up on Kate in the newspaper after the run in with Luke and the step sister. There was no indication that she knew the name Kate Kane prior to meeting Luke and the step sister

They'd already used Kate's name while running up to Ryan. And Ryan had figured it out by then No one makes a connection to Ryan that Bruce Wayne is Batman. All Luke says is that a guy disguised as Bruce is chasing her.
    Ryan being chased by the Batmobile and is talking to Luke and says something like “Batman is chasing me”. Luke then says “that’s not Bruce Wayne, but Tommy Elliot”. Why even mention Bruce Wayne?

The point is the writing is so bad and they’re spoon feeding info to her in a non organic way. If the writers really wanted to give Ryan a data dump, at least do it after she joins the team.
    Last edited by STC; 01-21-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    Yes they said Kate when running to her, but when seeing her they said “you’re not Kate Kane”.
    No, they didn't. Watch the scene again.

Also Ryan read up on Kate in the newspaper after the run in with Luke and the step sister. There was no indication that she knew the name Kate Kane prior to meeting Luke and the step sister.
    Yes there is. Right after Mary and Luke realize Ryan isn't Kate, Ryan says that she put things together since she found the suit on Kate's plane. The crash was already news by that point, so Ryan would've heard of it even if she hadn't read about it in detail.

Ryan being chased by the Batmobile and is talking to Luke and says something like “Batman is chasing me”. Luke then says “that’s not Bruce Wayne, but Tommy Elliot”. Why even mention Bruce Wayne?
    Because if Ryan were to happen to come face-to-face with Tommy, it would be important for her to know that she's not dealing with Bruce Wayne, but an imposter.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Yeah, but chasing her in the Batmobile.
    At no point during the chase does Ryan mention or learn that the car is the Batmobile. She never calls it that and never hears anyone call it that.

Exclamation

80% Ratings Drop, ouch -

https://www.themarysue.com/javicia-l...-ratings-stop/

I thought replacing Kate with so little thought and in such a rushed single-episode fashion (even if it was necessary) would fail but it's failed greater and quicker than even I feared.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-21-2021 at 12:54 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    80% Ratings Drop, ouch -

I thought replacing Kate with so little thought and in such a rushed single-episode fashion (even if it was necessary) would fail but it's failed greater and quicker than even I feared.
    It wasn't anywhere near an 80% drop. If we're comparing the season 1 finale to this episode, it's more like a 12% drop. Comparing the season 1 and 2 premieres is nonsensical on its own, because it doesn't take into account the natural falloff shows usually have. Plus, that 80% figure is actually more like 77%, and it's comparing the pilot's full viewership (including DVR) to the initial views for 2x01. It's not a fair comparison, and horrible journalism all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    80% Ratings Drop, ouch -

Is this the homeless batwoman that's sleeping out of a van by the water?

It wasn't anywhere near an 80% drop. If we're comparing the season 1 finale to this episode, it's more like a 12% drop. Comparing the season 1 and 2 premieres is nonsensical on its own, because it doesn't take into account the natural falloff shows usually have. Plus, that 80% figure is actually more like 77%, and it's comparing the pilot's full viewership (including DVR) to the initial views for 2x01. It's not a fair comparison, and horrible journalism all around.
    True, but, confirmation bias is a helluva a drug.

Did they actually debut this on a Sunday night opposite the NFL playoff game? No wonder the ratings sucked. Maybe they thought of it as counter-programming, but I had no idea it was even going to debut until I saw articles on the internet after the fact. I think they also aired it the next night in its regular slot (is that right?). It would be more fair to combine the ratings of both nights in case some people were just unaware of the Sunday night debut.

I also don't think it's fair to compare the debut of both actresses. Ruby debuted when the show was brand new and there was a lot of curiosity. This new season has a lot of baggage and I'm sure a lot of people had already dropped the show prior to the recasting.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Is this the homeless batwoman that's sleeping out of a van by the water?
    Indeed it is.

Not to worry she punched the face off of Fake Bruce Wayne, yes I'm serious don't look at me like that.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."