Page 42 of 233 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I already didn't understand how people could think this, but after the pilot, I understand it even less. She did fine, especially on the more emotional scenes.
    One of the hardest things for an actor is to present focused intensity without coming off flat and lifeless. It's a difficult job for an actor and she certainly didn't start out up to it. Let's hope she improves.

I'm glad it worked for you, but we should all hope there's a significant improvement, and that she is just learning to feel comfortable with the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I already didn't understand how people could think this, but after the pilot, I understand it even less. She did fine, especially on the more emotional scenes.
    Different strokes, I guess.

I thought she was a plank.

Didn't harm my viewing tho. The episode genuinely won me over.

Tom Welling never learned to act in ten seasons of Smallville but it didn't do the show a dot of damage.
    Last edited by _Feely_; 10-12-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Feely_ View Post
    Tom Welling never learned to act in ten seasons of Smallville but it didn't do the show a dot of damage.
    But, boy, was he flat in "Lucifer".

But, one thing I can't understand is, why the hell is everyone, when comparing the Batwoman pilot to Arrow's, acting like Arrow's pilot was some kind of masterpiece? I can honestly say that it wasn't that good. For me, at least.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by djoki96 View Post
    But, boy, was he flat in "Lucifer".

But, one thing I can't understand is, why the hell is everyone, when comparing the Batwoman pilot to Arrow's, acting like Arrow's pilot was some kind of masterpiece? I can honestly say that it wasn't that good. For me, at least.
    From what I recall a lot of people on the old IMDB boards said the same thing about Amell's acting at the beginning. That he was stiff and expressionless. He got better. After playing the same character 20+ episodes a year for 7 years you would have to be the worst actor in the world not to at least get to a point where your acting is passable.

Quote Originally Posted by mburns View Post
    From what I recall a lot of people on the old IMDB boards said the same thing about Amell's acting at the beginning. That he was stiff and expressionless. He got better. After playing the same character 20+ episodes a year for 7 years you would have to be the worst actor in the world not to at least get to a point where your acting is passable.
    True that. Too bad that, by the time he got better, he got Felicity.

Yes, I am one of the many people that can't stand her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mburns View Post
    I don't know when he got better, but hopefully it won't take Ruby at least three years to get better, which is how long it took me to give up on Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I don't know when he got better, but hopefully it won't take Ruby at least three years to get better, which is how long it took me to give up on Arrow
    It only took me a year and a half.🤷🏻*♂️

No one in these productions is ever expecting anyone to take these shows that seriously anyway.

Sure, they can't have an entire cast of duds, so that's why they load them with folks like David Harewood, Tom Cavanagh, Danielle Nicolet and Dougry Scott. These are the folks that do all the acting while the viewer disengages their brain and just enjoys the rest of them portraying larger than life characters having wacky adventures.

So it doesn't really matter that Ruby Rose has the emotive capacity of a bag with a face painted on it - because that's entirely besides the point.

And it was miles better than the Arrow pilot.

Can I frame this?

BANNED

No one in these productions is ever expecting anyone to take these shows that seriously anyway.

Sure, they can't have an entire cast of duds, so that's why they load them with folks like David Harewood, Tom Cavanagh, Danielle Nicolet and Dougry Scott. These are the folks that do all the acting while the viewer disengages their brain and just enjoys the rest of them portraying larger than life characters having wacky adventures.

So it doesn't really matter that Ruby Rose has the emotive capacity of a bag with a face painted on it - because that's entirely besides the point.

Arrow was the first of its kind. At the time there was no budget and no indication whether the show or formula would be successful. Comparing the pilot of Arrow to the shows that came after it is like comparing the pilot of Star Trek to all the shows that succeeded that.

That being said, Ruby Rose as an actor is no Patrick Stewart. She isn't even a Walter Koenig.

Arrow was the first of its kind.
    Not really.

It's not even the first CW show with Green Arrow in it.

Quote Originally Posted by djoki96 View Post
    Can I frame this?
    I'll even sign it for you, pal :P

BANNED

Not really.

It's not even the first CW show with Green Arrow in it.
    The first of its kind, it certainly was. Smallvile was an entirely different kind of show.

The first of its kind, it certainly was. Smallvile was an entirely different kind of show.
    Naw, pal.

They've been making action-adventure shows since television.

BANNED

Naw, pal.

They've been making action-adventure shows since television.
    Yes they have.

That's not what Smallville was though.