Page 36 of 233 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

If I remember correctly,Bats wasn't around for the Birds of prey t.v. show either.He was just away.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bob fett View Post
    If I remember correctly,Bats wasn't around for the Birds of prey t.v. show either.He was just away.
    He left after Joker paralyzed Barbara and killed Selina.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    It seems like the majority of people criticizing Batwoman have never even read a Batwoman comic book. A huge complaint is "turning her into a lesbian for the TV show because TV shows want to be woke".
    BINGO....

Same thing with those who bash Black Lightning's daughter for being a lesbian. One guy made a video and directly attacked Mara Brock.

I watched it last night out of curiosity. I thought it was pretty cringe and forced. The writers have to make Batman look bad in order to make Batwoman work here.
    I mainly heard radio ads...... You want to talk about cringe worthy. She sounded like she was INTERESTED in doing the show. She sounded like the original Janeway from Star Trek Voyager.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I'm not sold yet but we'll see. But, yeesh, the music really is proper awful.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Incredible Member

Not sure how I feel about the car wreck and the car going off the bridge being tied to Batman’s greatest failure. I feel like they shouldn’t have tied Bruce/Batman to even show up to the accident at all and maybe have Kate blame herself by being able to get out of the car and not able to save her sister only to later realize she was a kid and there was nothing she could have done, this driving her to always be ready to anything and going off and training after being kicked from the academy

TV Ratings: ‘Batwoman’ Debuts to 1.8 Million Viewers

And a 0.5/2 rating/share. Those aren't even the final numbers, but this is good.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Bruce just vanishing for some mysterious reason works better as an explanation than how SG tries to explain Clark's absences imo. This feels like something Bruce might actually do.
    Yeah, it fits his history, as well, since Bruce already vanished once for an extended period as a teen. Perhaps they have a good idea already written. Perhaps they are waiting for a great one to bubble up. Either way, it's easy enough to accept that he's not around for whatever reason. (Too busy on some far-off deep-cover thing, off world with the League, captured by an enemy, living as an amnesiac hobo on the streets, forcibly retired due to injury, whatev.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I didn't see that myself. The producers have to keep Bruce away somehow, so leaving Gotham makes sense.
    I actually didnt have a problem with the reasoning behind Bruce/Batman leaving Gotham. The plot device used IMHO works with a character of his motivational development.

I mean when you seriously consider it we have a man who as a child was so affected by witnessing the death of his closest living relatives drove himself to develop every ability needed to effect revenge.

We then later in life now have this same damaged individual (and lets face it to continue his self assigned mission with the veracity he does he has to remain emotionally damaged) attempt to then save the only other close family he has (which is clearly the only remaining family he feels for) but due to a miscalculation fail.

This is a similar polarising incident on the psychie as the one that motivated him to become an avenging vigilante. Only now he has a changed focus, to find the body of one of those family he failed to.

Where the first drove him to avenge those deaths, the second has driven him to resolve the issue of his cousins lost body.

Kate said it herself the fact that he couldnt find her with all his tech goes against the grain. Bruce's entite life was about solvong the unsolvable and he would have come to the conclusion that he couldnt find Kates sister because there wasnt a body to find. A possible (and likely) extension is that he has concluded she was taken and is following any possible leads across the globe to find her.

The only hard part of this to buy is that agyer 3 years a Detective of Bruce's ability has failed to close thslis case. The only possible answer is that his subconscious prevents him from accepting thenidea that his cousin has turned

That was actually a big part of why I liked the pilot despite the odd cringe worthy moment.
    The best thing to come from CW DC for some time

Astonishing Member

I thought it was a decent pilot. Reminiscent of Season 1 Arrow in a lot of ways (flashbacks, first-person narration, love triangle, family dynamics etc.), while obviously trying to evoke the Batman mythos at every turn. It is still kinda a novelty to hear Batman's name being so openly spoken in the CW-verse...wonder when that'll wear off for me!

This interpretation of Gotham is...interesting. Its either really poorly sketched out (people of Gotham literally worshipping Batman like a God, the Batsignal being shut being a major gala, the Crows basically having the run of the city with no sign of the GCPD) or its a brilliant portrayal of a city that's been so dependent on a vigilante saviour for over a decade that they just can't deal with the fact that they're on their own now.

I think the biggest change they've made here is how close Kate is to Bruce and just how much they've tied her story to Batman's. In the comics, to my knowledge, while Kate and Bruce were distant cousins, they weren't particularly close. Kate decided to become Batman simply because of an encounter she once had with Batman, and did so not knowing that he is her cousin. All her equipment and her costume was developed by her father, and she pretty much operated completely independently of the rest of the Bat-family. Here on the other hand, Kate and Bruce were really close (to the extent that its mentioned that Kate and her sister were Bruce's "only living family"), Kate sets up shop in the Batcave, and literally wears a modified Batsuit! I guess they want to mirror the connection that Kara has to Clark over on Supergirl, and it is an excuse to continue name-dropping Bruce...only time will tell how much this dependence on the Batman mythos will work for the show.

I'm fine with them leaving it open-ended why Bruce left Gotham, but in my head canon right now, I'm going to imagine it's because he found out about Damian and had go get him away from Ra's or something. If this show goes on long enough, I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce comes back with Damian and decides to go raise Damian away from Gotham, feeling that the city is in good hands with Kate. In the Nolan movies Bruce walked away as well, so it's not totally outside of how he's been depicted.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I thought it was a decent pilot. Reminiscent of Season 1 Arrow in a lot of ways (flashbacks, first-person narration, love triangle, family dynamics etc.), while obviously trying to evoke the Batman mythos at every turn. It is still kinda a novelty to hear Batman's name being so openly spoken in the CW-verse...wonder when that'll wear off for me!

This interpretation of Gotham is...interesting. Its either really poorly sketched out (people of Gotham literally worshipping Batman like a God, the Batsignal being shut being a major gala, the Crows basically having the run of the city with no sign of the GCPD) or its a brilliant portrayal of a city that's been so dependent on a vigilante saviour for over a decade that they just can't deal with the fact that they're on their own now.

I think the biggest change they've made here is how close Kate is to Bruce and just how much they've tied her story to Batman's. In the comics, to my knowledge, while Kate and Bruce were distant cousins, they weren't particularly close. Kate decided to become Batman simply because of an encounter she once had with Batman, and did so not knowing that he is her cousin. All her equipment and her costume was developed by her father, and she pretty much operated completely independently of the rest of the Bat-family. Here on the other hand, Kate and Bruce were really close (to the extent that its mentioned that Kate and her sister were Bruce's "only living family"), Kate sets up shop in the Batcave, and literally wears a modified Batsuit! I guess they want to mirror the connection that Kara has to Clark over on Supergirl, and it is an excuse to continue name-dropping Bruce...only time will tell how much this dependence on the Batman mythos will work for the show.
    I like that change in their relationship, because it makes sense. I think someone who lost his family at such a young age would latch on to any remaining family he had, even if it was a distant cousin. I do wonder how old Bruce is supposed to be, though, and if his failure to save Beth and the mother was one of his earliest missions.

One thing I'm confused about- exactly how long was Kate traveling the world, and how long was Sophie in the military? Or did Jacob pull strings to have Sophie join his company as soon as she graduated the academy?

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    One thing I'm confused about- exactly how long was Kate traveling the world, and how long was Sophie in the military? Or did Jacob pull strings to have Sophie join his company as soon as she graduated the academy?
    If Point Rock operates like the real service academies, Sophie would have been required to serve five years. The best info right now on how long Kate was gone comes from an audition scene where Mary says she was away for "three years, ten months, and eight days."
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    If Point Rock operates like the real service academies, Sophie would have been required to serve five years. The best info right now on how long Kate was gone comes from an audition scene where Mary says she was away for "three years, ten months, and eight days."
    So it makes no sense that Sophie is out of the service.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    So it makes no sense that Sophie is out of the service.
    What? No.

The pilot takes place before Elseworlds, which would've roughly been late 2018.
    Kate resigned a week before she was to graduate, which, given the fixed date of DADT's repeal, means that it had to have been early 2010 at the latest.
    Based on the newspaper clip about the accident, it occurred on January 6, 2003. That makes Kate about 20 at the time of her resignation, which is pretty close to the comics.

So there's roughly 8 years to play with here. Sophie could easily have served her duty and joined the Crows more or less at their inception, if they were founded in response to Batman's absence.
    Last edited by Caivu; 10-08-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Wohoo, this was seriously review bombed on rotten tomatoes.

I mean, it's far from perfect but 10%? Seriously? This can only be achieved once you're perceived as bringing politics someone disagrees with into the mix.