Page 113 of 233 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I see more LGBT people wanting to see them represented on film on every front then being fine with straight people portraying them on TV.
    Not the case, so if more straight ppl want to see them represented on film on every front then being fine with LGBT people portraying them, we should block LGBT actors?

I think it's more complicated then that.
    It is that simple, equality is equality, unless you want something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    First and foremost the best actor who audiences should get the role period IMO. But I also support an LGBT actor getting an LGBT role for one reason a lot of straight people including actors just aren't comfortable with performing acts of gay intimacy I'm not talking about sex but intimacy things like hugging, holding hands, or kissing and it comes off as inauthentic and clunky. I'm straight and you can always tell when an straight actors heart isn't in it and their body language with their love interest comes off like friends or they're kissing their aunt or something.

Before someone says well then gays shouldn't get straight roles by that logic. Well some shouldn't if it comes off as fake but many gays spend a portion of their lives in the closet and thus try to pass as straight and have relationships with people of the opposite sex and become comfortable with acts of intimacy with the opposite sex even if they don't get much or any enjoyment on a sexual level from it. This comfort zone is why I feel gay playing straight works more better than straight playing gay.

But then again why worry to quote RDJ in Tropic Thunder "Man everyone's gay once in a while it's Hollywood."
    Nonsense, any competent actor got no problem to play gay/lesbian/Transgender. And again, a good character is not defined by his/her sexuality. There are usually far much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Not the case, so if more straight ppl want to see them represented on film on every front then being fine with LGBT people portraying them, we should block LGBT actors?
    When straight people are the vast majority of representation on film, I feel like they don't have much of a right to complain.
    It is that simple, equality is equality, unless you want something different.
    Again, in this instance, I think it's more complicated
    Nonsense, any competent actor got no problem to play gay/lesbian/Transgender. And again, a good character is not defined by his/her sexuality. There are usually far much more than that.
    But if the character is then I think it should impact casting to some extent.

When straight people are the vast majority of representation on film, I feel like they don't have much of a right to complain.
    They do, that's the basic definition of equality. Of course they have the rights to speak for what they want to see. Basic rights doesn't get affected regardless if you are the majority or minority. They are the audience and they have the right to complain if you think one group has such rights.

Again, in this instance, I think it's more complicated
    Not at all, if you are aiming at equality, the last thing you should bring up is specialty.

But if the character is then I think it should impact casting to some extent.
    No, it's all about how well do they portray the character on screen, it has nothing to do with their own sexuality. Actually your argument was what many straight ppl used to block LGBT actors.

BANNED

How is this more complicated than having respect for people?

Should a white man play Shaft?

Should a Nazi sympathizer play a Holocaust victim?

Should an African American play Patton?

Let's just be respectful, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    How is this more complicated than having respect for people?

Should a white man play Shaft?

Should a Nazi sympathizer play a Holocaust victim?

Should an African American play Patton?

Let's just be respectful, folks.
    So you support that blocking LGBT actors for straight roles to show respect?

Ethnicity is about looks, it cannot be ignored on screen, sexuality is different. And I don't think sexuality has black/white right or wrong like the Nazis. We didn't block Cooper to play Chris Kyle because they have different political belief as well.

When did this become about blocking LGBT actors? It's more about giving them more opportunities to play roles that actually reflect them.

When did this become about blocking LGBT actors? It's more about giving them more opportunities to play roles that actually reflect them.
    Because the argument is about: Should the actor's sexuality be considered during cast. It works on both sides.

So by this logic, we should give straight actors more opportunities to play roles that actually reflect them?

Also when is actors or characters defined by sexuality alone? Not to say actor's basic=act different character than your ownself.

Also Conrad Veidt was the example, he was a very firm anti-Nazi fighter and support the Jews in WWII. And he played many Nazi roles, he asked them to be written as clear villains as well.

BANNED

So you support that blocking LGBT actors for straight roles to show respect?
    So you support not showing respect for...reasons? Seriously?

So you support not showing respect for...reasons? Seriously?
    I am showing respect by letting the most suited actor to play the role and not block them because of their own sexuality. This is respect because this is equality.

A good character is not defined by his/her sexuality as well.

BANNED

I am showing respect by letting the most suited actor to play the role and not block them because of their own sexuality. This is respect because this is equality.

A good character is not defined by his/her sexuality as well.
    But you just said a white man shouldn't play shaft, even if he's the most qualified.

Sometimes, actually, a good character is defined by their sexuality.

Because the argument is about: Should the actor's sexuality be considered during cast. It works on both sides.

So by this logic, we should give straight actors more opportunities to play roles that actually reflect them?

Also when is actors or characters defined by sexuality alone? Not to say actor's basic=act different character than your ownself.
    I don't see the problem with wanting a lesbian actor to play a character who is somewhat defined by being a lesbian. Acting is sometimes about playing differently from who you are but there also times where your own experience and perspective is important to the character you are playing.

But you just said a white man shouldn't play shaft, even if he's the most qualified.

Sometimes, actually, a good character is defined by their sexuality.
    Because visuals is a big part on screen, so it matters on screen. Also in stage or musical it's different. I don't mind a black actor playing Cesar or white actor playing Othello in stage acting.

Usually no, and any competent actor have no problem to carry it out as well.

I don't see the problem with wanting a lesbian actor to play a character who is somewhat defined by being a lesbian. Acting is sometimes about playing differently from who you are but there also times where your own experience and perspective is important to the character you are playing.
    Then you shouldn't have problem with wanting a straight actor to play a character who is somewhat defined by his straight love to a woman. THAT is exactly how LGBT actors were blocked. You think it's inequality, then the last thing you need to do is copy and paste it to create more inequality.

I don't see a problem at all, countless examples came both sides where ppl can play their roles very well when they have different sexuality than their character.