Page 171 of 233 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181221 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,565 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Okay, I have to admit, Alice's story got a bit more interesting for me.

Candylady was horrific in both the past and the present. It was a good story for Ryan, and a good case for her to handle out of costume. When she was Batwoman, though, I didn't get why she didn't tell the kid his family was looking for him?

I like seeing some of the old Mary back too, but I do hope they address the fact that she is seeing Ryan as a replacement for Kate.

Are the JSA still part of this Earth's past? If so, maybe Alan Scott somehow inspired a Green Lantern Corps comic book.
    This episode gave Ryan some real depth, it almost gave her more motivation than we had seen for Kate in season 1.

Legends showed us there was a JSA on this earth but no GL and it was more of a secret government force. Unless Crisis somehow merged Legends JSA with the one from Smallville. That one had a JSA but it was more urban legend.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    No, it's not reasonable and it is completely contrived. Mary's a doctor.
    She's not a doctor. And she doesn't run a hospital, but an underground clinic. It's perfectly reasonable to think she wouldn't be able to treat an alien rock infection.

Besides, the wound hasn't progressed beyond minor pain; visually it's nasty, but it's not been making Ryan significantly impaired. The reason she's not getting any help could be as simple as that so far, Tylenol can manage it.

Ryan has no reason to doubt that they'd want to help her with a potentially serious injury - she relies on them being Batwoman, but not with this?
    She can believe that while at the same time not expect them to be able to do something about it. There's no contradiction there.

I do anticipate she'll give the "I didn't want you to sideline me" excuse, but that would only be an exercise in poor judgement.
    Characters are allowed to exhibit poor judgment. Ryan has other examples of doing so, so that wouldn't be a stretch for her.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    She's not a doctor. And she doesn't run a hospital, but an underground clinic. It's perfectly reasonable to think she wouldn't be able to treat an alien rock infection.

Besides, the wound hasn't progressed beyond minor pain; visually it's nasty, but it's not been making Ryan significantly impaired. The reason she's not getting any help could be as simple as that so far, Tylenol can manage it.

She can believe that while at the same time not expect them to be able to do something about it. There's no contradiction there.

Characters are allowed to exhibit poor judgment. Ryan has other examples of doing so, so that wouldn't be a stretch for her.
    Of course characters are allowed to show poor judgement, which was my point. But you just said her not telling them about an "alien rock infection" was "reasonable" since it "hasn't progressed beyond minor pain" even though "visually it's nasty." We'll just have to disagree on what we think is reasonable behavior.

Okay, I have to admit, Alice's story got a bit more interesting for me.

Candylady was horrific in both the past and the present. It was a good story for Ryan, and a good case for her to handle out of costume. When she was Batwoman, though, I didn't get why she didn't tell the kid his family was looking for him?

I like seeing some of the old Mary back too, but I do hope they address the fact that she is seeing Ryan as a replacement for Kate.

Are the JSA still part of this Earth's past? If so, maybe Alan Scott somehow inspired a Green Lantern Corps comic book.
    I skipped over the candy lady stuff, so I’m not clear on where Ryan knew to look for Kevin.

Of course characters are allowed to show poor judgement, which was my point. But you just said her not telling them about an "alien rock infection" was "reasonable" since it "hasn't progressed beyond minor pain" even though "visually it's nasty." We'll just have to disagree on what we think is reasonable behavior.
    "Reasonable" as in it's understandable why she might make such a choice, not in the sense that it was the best choice. Her decision is an example of poor judgment because she's making it without having adequate info, not because her logic is unsound.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

I get why she did it but then she immediately found herself in a situation she probably wouldn't have been in if she had worn the suit.

Didn't she bring up his brother?
    I wouldn't be surprised if the JSA moved to Earth-2 (Stargirl's Earth) and the Legends are the only ones that remember them. They could've picked Amaya up through a different way, if they did at all in the new timeline.

Ok, this last episode was boring. I did a lot of fast forwarding. It was a lot of blah blah blah. So I'm going to be dropping Batwoman. It feels forced, Kate maybe being alive is pointless since we know the actress isn't coming back. It is not interesting.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Mighty Member

I'm thinking Ryan's going to slip into a coma as a result of that kryptonite wound.

I wasn't quite suspecting Ryan to get back with her ex so quickly, not that Angelique isn't quite the catch (drug and criminal habits notwithstanding), but it's obvious Ryan still has strong feelings for her. Kind of reminds me of Kate and Reagan in season 1, although that relationship fizzled quick.

Too bad Ryan couldn't intervene before Spear-guy killed those two other Crows, but I guess sometimes you can only react so quickly (especially when main characters are involved).

I see in a post-BLM world we're going to completely vilify the Crows now. Is there an "ACAB" equivalent for the GCPD? Although sometimes I forget the Crows are just ostensibly a Private Security firm that basically just act like they're the police.

So Jack Napier was the Joker, and apparently made a habit of creating paintings using the guts of people he killed. Was this before or after he became The Joker? Because, while Joker's a performance artist, I don't really see the joke or anything funny about that. And he knew enough about Coryana to make a map to it?

I'm glad Ryan finally got treatment for her wound before it was too late, not that it's stopping said wound from getting worse.

I know Jacob is trying to find his daughter, but he's still basically advocating for torturing a suspect for information and assaulting them to get his way. And he's running this outfit, which just goes to show that the problems stem from the top. Although I guess they're lucky spear-guy didn't immediately kill himself before he could reveal the plot relevant information they needed.

So I take it instead of the sexual tension of Kate and Sophie, Ryan and Sophie are more going to be belligerent with the possibility of sexual tension.

I'm glad Luke and Ryan are finally getting along.

I get that those Crow officers harassed Ryan, that was awful, but she was still caught with drugs that she claimed was hers. I mean, I get she did it to protect Angelique and because she didn't want her girl to go to prison, but there wasn't really any legal grey area there.

I see Alice can dress normally when she wants to.

So Safiya mind-wiped Alice and her adoptive brother because she was jealous of her brother being lovers with Alice? Safiyah was in love with Alice? Harsh.

The Many Arms of Death could stand to dress up a little for what are ostensibly Safiyah's chief enforcers. The only notable thing about them otherwise is that they each seem to work with a specific weapon.

I guess there's one thing Ryan can do that we'd never see from Kate...wearing a dress, and she looked absolutely fabulous. I also don't think we'd ever see Kate using a makeup gadget.

So Ryan is "let's burn the Crows down to the ground" as a solution. What are her opinions on the GCPD? Have we even seen them this season?

"The Collective?" is that the thing from Scott Snyder's DickBats run where rich people were auctioning off Supervillain memorabilia?

Evan playing amateur Catwoman in spandex made me wonder what happened to Magpie. And where did Evan learn to move like that?

Evan was an Olympic gymnast in the comics.

Side note, but I understand they get hit by a truck or something? Good. In the comics, Wolf Spider sucked and got away without nearly enough bad consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Evan was an Olympic gymnast in the comics.
    I didn't even know he was from the comics .
    Side note, but I understand they get hit by a truck or something? Good. In the comics, Wolf Spider sucked and got away without nearly enough bad consequences.
    Not that I would justify the moment in-universe, although it still felt like he was getting let somewhat off the hook.

I see Alice can dress normally when she wants to.
    It was really quite strange to see, honestly.

I wasn't expecting the show to be about searching for Kate - especially not this early. I would have preferred that they had spent more time building up Ryan and her life etc. before letting the show get taken over by a character who's not going to show up. (hopefully Ryan's ex showing up will help) It's just not as interesting and Ryan's whole "I've been in the system so I understand things you don't" perspective is becoming a gimmick rather than something that adds depth.

I’m wondering if Jacob is ever going to lighten up where batwoman is concerned. But I guess it doesn’t matter, because one of the crows hurt someone, so they are bad guys. Question is, will Jacob ever reform? Otherwise, I’m ready to write him off right now. Is wolf spider under house arrest in Mary’s clinic? And I’m wondering what the point of giving Ryan this kryptonite inflicted shoulder wound is supposed to do.
    Last edited by protege; 02-22-2021 at 03:20 PM.

I wasn't expecting the show to be about searching for Kate - especially not this early. I would have preferred that they had spent more time building up Ryan and her life etc. before letting the show get taken over by a character who's not going to show up. (hopefully Ryan's ex showing up will help) It's just not as interesting and Ryan's whole "I've been in the system so I understand things you don't" perspective is becoming a gimmick rather than something that adds depth.
    I partially agree with that, but my thought is that they should have recast Kate immediately, or at least just before the season started. By all means take the time, like the first half of the season, to build up Ryan. But by casting Kate, they would let us know that the search for Kate will at least have a conclusion at some point. That would have at the very least hooked me in for this season, instead of just following the recaps to see where everyone is now.