Page 140 of 233 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Ya know, with these latest promos 'Bat Chat' talking about season 1 and the lead up to Safiya - I'm getting mixed-messages.
    https://www.instagram.com/cwbatwoman/

What exactly is the point of characters like Safiya without Kate? She's a Kate specific villain and yet they are still promoting her as going ahead. The articles a few weeks back spoke of how Scarecrow will be "Ryan's" villain (what will Safiya be a villain of the week?). Scarecrow is a Batman villain, that gets shared around with his family from time to time. Alice and Safiya are specific to Kate, and haven't had true encounters with anyone else in the Batfamily, let alone a random newbie.

There's been no further official news of "Ryan" since the backtracking that Kate will no longer be killed off. And despite how that announcement was worded - the earlier articles in addition to the leaked audition tapes make it very clear they were going to kill her off (until the backlash hit and they changed their minds). I can still hold the fantasy that they'll backtrack on replacing Kate as well.

Anyone else find it strange that in the promo piece stated to discuss Season 2 secrets - they don't. They just say watch Season 1...Are they stalling for time or having a crisis of confidence? I think both, personally.
    They still seem to be getting swamped in demands for a Kate recast every time they do these promos, from I can tell.

Not far from 2000 now:
    https://www.change.org/p/the-cw-keep...ne-as-batwoman
    To be fair, it didn't seem like there was any history between Kate and this version of Safiya, but they could have just not gotten to introducing it yet.

I guess all that name-dropping is the one bit of world building they did that they're not willing to compromise on.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Javicia Leslie is the new Batwoman

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/bat...se-1234701651/

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    And that's one less show I need to be invested in.

Is it wrong that I feel bad for this woman? The hate she is going to get for this is likely to be mind-boggling, and she's not going to deserve any of it.

Also, they're settling for a bisexual woman?

And...the black legacy hero is also a drug-runner and criminal? Come on. That's like Snap Wilson.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

And...the black legacy hero is also a drug-runner and criminal? Come on. That's like Snap Wilson.
    Gotham being the shithole that it is that's likely the norm in their impoverished communities.

Gotham being the shithole that it is that's likely the norm in their impoverished communities.
    Yeah, but it's such a stereotype. Like that's the background they settle on for their POC lead in a Superhero show?

No, they cast a queer woman like they said they would

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    No, they cast a queer woman like they said they would
    I thought they were explicitly aiming for someone who was a lesbian, but I guess "queer" is a bit broader.

Is it wrong that I feel bad for this woman? The hate she is going to get for this is likely to be mind-boggling, and she's not going to deserve any of it.

I have no hatred for the actress, and I also feel bad for her. Personally, I wish they had cast her as Natasha Irons, and had her either team up with a newly cast Kate Kane, or cast her as Irons on the Superman and Lois show.

What do you consider a Legacy hero? To me, that's someone like Dick Grayson putting on the Batsuit, or Wally West graduating to be The Flash when Barry died. The character taking over the role has to have a deep (or even SOME) connection to the original character. Ryan Reynolds, or whatever they're calling her, seems to have NO connection with Kate.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I have no hatred for the actress, and I also feel bad for her. Personally, I wish they had cast her as Natasha Irons, and had her either team up with a newly cast Kate Kane, or cast her as Irons on the Superman and Lois show.
    From all accounts she seems like a terrific actress, it just feels like there's so much going against her here that she would've been better off in another role. But I guess I can't blame her for taking the lead role in a high-profile Superhero show when the opportunity arose.
    What do you consider a Legacy hero? To me, that's someone like Dick Grayson putting on the Batsuit, or Wally West graduating to be The Flash when Barry died. The character taking over the role has to have a deep (or even SOME) connection to the original character. Ryan Reynolds, or whatever they're calling her, seems to have NO connection with Kate.
    I think in a broader sense a legacy hero is anyone who inherits a costume and identity, but it's usually better when it's someone actually connected to the person who previously had it.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Honestly the idea that the show couldn't evolve into Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) to have her idolize Batwoman and decide to take up the mantle is why this has failure written all over it. They basically in the character description made the new character look terrible.

- Lives in van with plant.

- Is former criminal drug runner etc.

- Decides to get instant fighting skills by living in van , caring for plant and being drug runner.

- Oh yeah she's bi-sexual too , see ...we care.

Its like , come on for fucks sake. You could have made a black actress be Barbara here to make it work.

The silliest move was they could have kept Kate around and cast the Brooklyn 9-9 actress. She literally campaigned and wanted the role on social media. I feel for her , WB just screwed up.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

We all know how its going to go. They wont be able to please everyone with this casting. She will get dragged either way. Hopefully they support her with good writing which will have to be a change from the previous episodes imo. Only way to change minds is to actually have her version of the show be good.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Honestly the idea that the show couldn't evolve into Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) to have her idolize Batwoman and decide to take up the mantle is why this has failure written all over it. They basically in the character description made the new character look terrible.

- Lives in van with plant.

- Is former criminal drug runner etc.

- Decides to get instant fighting skills by living in van , caring for plant and being drug runner.

- Oh yeah she's bi-sexual too , see ...we care.

Its like , come on for fucks sake. You could have made a black actress be Barbara here to make it work.

The silliest move was they could have kept Kate around and cast the Brooklyn 9-9 actress. She literally campaigned and wanted the role on social media. I feel for her , WB just screwed up.
    They can't use Barbara; she's going to be in Titans Season 3.

The biggest problem with putting someone other than Kate Kane in the Batsuit is that she immediately invalidates the entire first season, and the other characters established there. Why should I care about Mary, or Alice, or Sophie (well, THAT one isn't a problem for me)? A large part of their characters were defined by their relationship to Kate. Why should I care about them buddying up to or fighting against Ryan O'Reilly, or whatever they are calling her?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    They can't use Barbara; she's going to be in Titans Season 3.

The biggest problem with putting someone other than Kate Kane in the Batsuit is that she immediately invalidates the entire first season, and the other characters established there. Why should I care about Mary, or Alice, or Sophie (well, THAT one isn't a problem for me)? A large part of their characters were defined by their relationship to Kate. Why should I care about them buddying up to or fighting against Ryan O'Reilly, or whatever they are calling her?
    From what we see Titans and Batwoman aren't even in same Universe. In fact it would have worked here perfect. If they did have a Crisis deal again , both can meet and be different.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    From what we see Titans and Batwoman aren't even in same Universe. In fact it would have worked here perfect. If they did have a Crisis deal again , both can meet and be different.
    True, but Warner Brothers is still very hesitant to have more than one version of a character on the screen at any given time, even if the shows are on different networks. Slade Wilson is a prime example- they were banned from using him in Arrow for a few years because they were developing a movie with Slade in it, and then banned them from using him again when Slade became the main antagonist of Titans Season 2. Crisis was the exception to the rule, and that was because it was a large event that was also a love letter to the fans.