Page 55 of 233 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I really can't stand Sophie. Can she die soon?
    Maybe not kill her, but she is really annoying. Reagan was a much better love interest.

Also, a shame the Executioner died so soon.

Liked this one, but not as much as episode 5. This is a good standard for a regular episode.

They fell back a little on having a new suit feature that wasn't previously set up, just like the defibrillator, but that was the biggest flaw. I also saw some others talking about how not-great it was to have two Jewish characters menaced by a gas chamber, and it's hard to disagree there. I don't think that was malicious at all by the writers, just an unfortuate congealing of this villain's MO and saving the slowest one for last, for tension purposes.

I hate all the irrational self-blame the Kanes have, not because it's bad writing (it's not), but because it's frustrating enough seeing it in real life. I can't wait for Sophie's side of things to be told so she stops being treated so bad.

I really can't stand Sophie. Can she die soon?
    Geez, why? I legitimately don't understand why people don't like her. I hope her actual backstory next episode puts an end to this.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Because, as Mary put it so fittingly, she keeps letting people down, Kate in particular.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I can't wait for Sophie's side of things to be told so she stops being treated so bad.

What side of her story needs to be told? We got it in the flashback. Kate was fine with being outted, Sophie was worried about her name and her career being affected so she told Kate to kick rocks.

What do we need from Sophie?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Because, as Mary put it so fittingly, she keeps letting people down, Kate in particular.
    What else is she supposed to do?

She couldn't leave the Academy because, at the very least, she literally couldn't afford to. She told Jacob about Kate being with Alice because Alice is a wanted terrorist. And she can't betray Tyler now.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    What side of her story needs to be told? We got it in the flashback. Kate was fine with being outted, Sophie was worried about her name and her career being affected so she told Kate to kick rocks.

What do we need from Sophie?
    Why exactly she did it. We got a hint of it, but there's probably more to it than just finances.
    Last edited by Caivu; 11-11-2019 at 09:09 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

It wouldn't surprise me if Sophie's race also plays a factor in her decision to stay in the closet. Being black in America is tough, Being LGBT in America is tough. Being both can be a nightmare.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if Sophie's race also plays a factor in her decision to stay in the closet. Being black in America is tough, Being LGBT in America is tough. Being both can be a nightmare.
    Facts on facts. I know that first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Facts on facts. I know that first hand.
    There seems to be a big disconnect between the crows and the GCPD; we haven’t even seen them, and already they trust Batwoman and want them to work with her. I’m guessing since crows are private security, are they only concerned with the rich people? I’d kind of like to see things come to a head between Jacob and Kate soon. And I’d definitely like to see Batwoman working with the GCPD.
    I liked the scene at the end, where Batwoman and Jacob had it out; I just wish people wouldn’t talk so fast! I couldn’t understand what people were saying!
    Last edited by protege; 11-11-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yep. Meagan Tandy has basically said as much on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I’m guessing since crows are private security, are they only concerned with the rich people?
    This is a common misconception. The Crows have a general protection contract with the city, meaning they do indeed protect regular civilians (as seen with the movie in the park event). They're meant to augment the GCPD. But they also offer individual protection services.

Geez, why? I legitimately don't understand why people don't like her. I hope her actual backstory next episode puts an end to this.
    Let me try to explain my feelings here.

Her character makes no sense. Put aside the fact that she jumped back to Narnia while Kate admitted she was gay and was kicked out of the military. As someone here said, it would be easy for Kate, who's rich, to ditch the military and do anything else, while Sophie may have been poor or middle class and had no other option than to stay in the military, no matter what she had to do (or hide). Fine, I can accept that.

What I can't accept is that she finished military school, did her tour of duty, was discharged, and became the second in command to Kate's dad's security company. The timeline just doesn't make sense. She should still be in the military, or at the very least just a working member of Jacob's company, not the 2IC.

Also, why does Jacob like her so much? Does he know that her and Kate were involved? Was she a friend of the family?

Finally, there is her behavior. Never mind hiding her past relationship with Kate; Kate goes out of her way to save her life TWICE, and her reaction to that was to turn her in to her father. And yes, I know she didn't in the end, but she was going to and only stopped because Kate and Jacob were having a moment. And there is no guarantee that she won't spill the beans later.

All in all, she's a horribly written character with a horribly contrived background, and she grates on my nerves as much as Felicity grates on other people's nerves.

Her character makes no sense. Put aside the fact that she jumped back to Narnia while Kate admitted she was gay and was kicked out of the military. As someone here said, it would be easy for Kate, who's rich, to ditch the military and do anything else, while Sophie may have been poor or middle class and had no other option than to stay in the military, no matter what she had to do (or hide). Fine, I can accept that.

What I can't accept is that she finished military school, did her tour of duty, was discharged, and became the second in command to Kate's dad's security company. The timeline just doesn't make sense. She should still be in the military, or at the very least just a working member of Jacob's company, not the 2IC.

Also, why does Jacob like her so much? Does he know that her and Kate were involved? Was she a friend of the family?

Finally, there is her behavior. Never mind hiding her past relationship with Kate; Kate goes out of her way to save her life TWICE, and her reaction to that was to turn her in to her father. And yes, I know she didn't in the end, but she was going to and only stopped because Kate and Jacob were having a moment. And there is no guarantee that she won't spill the beans later.

All in all, she's a horribly written character with a horribly contrived background, and she grates on my nerves as much as Felicity grates on other people's nerves.
    Fortunately, I don’t pay too much attention to her.

She said in this episode she was trying to protect Kate. She was afraid she would get herself killed.

What do you mean the timeline doesn't make sense? She only had to serve five years. Kate's currently 28 in the show, and Sophie is presumably a similar age, so they would have been about 20 when they were found out, since DADT was only repealed in 2011. There's plenty of time for Sophie to do her required service and join the Crows.

Also, why does Jacob like her so much?
    Because she's his best agent.

Sophie does those things because she's Lawful Good. By and large, she holds rules and such as being important, more important than personal feelings.

She's not horribly written; she's consistent and behaves that way. And her background isn't contrived, because lots of real people had to do the same sort of thing she did.

What do you mean the timeline doesn't make sense? She only had to serve five years. Kate's currently 28 in the show, and Sophie is presumably a similar age, so they would have been about 20 when they were found out, since DADT was only repealed in 2011. There's plenty of time for Sophie to do her required service and join the Crows.
    Then maybe it's because they made no effort to make either actress look any younger in the flashback, because it felt like Kate got kicked out and immediately started her training to (not) become a Crow, and she was only gone for- what, 5 years? It feels like Sophie should still be in the Military.

Because she's his best agent.
    Why is she even an agent with the Crows? It's just weird to me that after her stint in the Military, that she'd go to work for the father of the woman she had kicked to the curb. What, she never thought she'd see Kate around the office?

Sophie does those things because she's Lawful Good. By and large, she holds rules and such as being important, more important than personal feelings.
    That's well and good in the real world, but in a superhero show, I'm not going to root for the person who is threatening to out the superhero. As for the argument that she wants to protect Kate, Kate's had to save her ass twice now. Kate's doing fine. She should be more concerned with herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

So, I know Julia was originally white, but this still bothers me. If it is Julia, that is.