Page 20 of 233 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Huh, I guess they'll go with the Legends approach of shorter seasons here.

Definitely preferable. Less filler, more money per episode, etc.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

New promo:

A pretty blunt and small-scale example, but that's definitely a showcase of Kate's selflessness in opposition to society's expectations. That's a good sign.
    Meh. As cute as she looks smirking, I'm more interested in seeing more bat-action.

I feel like comic-Kate would have just ignored him, but this younger more hot-headed version has a need to make a point about everything - it seems like this version might be more outwardly angry with the world. Very adolescent, so it will interesting to watch her mature - assuming she doesn't do what Flash did in season 2, and develop, only to completely revert by the end of the season.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 06-13-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Huh, I guess they'll go with the Legends approach of shorter seasons here.
    After the stupidity we had to endure so the writers could drag Cicada out for a whole Flash season, I'm starting to think they should consider this approach on some of the other shows too.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

And seriously, why does THIS get bombed with thumbs down?
    Nothing to hate there at all....

Because hating things feels good to them. It gets them likes, views, and attention from other performatively-outraged simpletons.

I've seen several comments on both this and the first trailer that basically said they only came by to dislike. Some outright admitted to not even watching.
    Last edited by Caivu; 06-13-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

It looks bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It looks bad.
    What looks bad in this particular promo? Please, be specific.

What looks bad in this particular promo? Please, be specific.
    First and foremost I have nothing against progressive DC Shows Doom Patrol was a damn Masterpiece IMO. But it seems if you criticize the show you lumped in with the "Whamen" halfwits.

But this thing looks like Birds of Prey the 2002 series which isn't a good thing but with cringy dialogue and from what has been seen bad acting I mean bad acting for the CW which is saying something only the Alice actor looked good so far.

What do you think looks good about this so far?

The acting looks pretty good all around. I like the look and the production design; the Batcave in particular looks great. The action looks good, and appropriate to how Kate fights in the comics.

I have issues with the changes made to Kate, but there are other changes that account for that, which is good. In the comics, she emulated Jacob after her kidnapping, but here, Jacob sent her away to keep her safe. That means she at the very least didn't have him to look up to, and may have had someone else. That lack of Jacob as a role model could very well explain why she's so much more of an immature ******* here. That's telling me there's a good understanding of Kate's character here, even with profound changes.

Such changes also mean that Kate has a high potential to grow and develop, which is good for a show; Kate does grow in the comics, but it's more subtle and nuanced. Making things more dramatic for TV does at least make sense even if it's inaccurate to the source.

For the new promo specifically, I like how it showcases Kate's character without her saying a word. It's all action. She does a good thing in in spite of how weird it might seem to outsiders; that's essentially her resignation scenario from the comics, just in small scale here. But it also shows pettiness and impulsiveness, which the show seems to be intentionally playing up. It also shows she's against the Crows. There's a bunch of subtext in that one action, and that's neat.

Internet addiction to outrage, competitive outrage, and jumping on a bandwagon. Who's negative comment can get the most up-votes, and hence make that person feel validated and powerful for putting-down 'the power' (in this case a television network and/or actor). It's just bullying, but in the safe space of internet anonymity, it also makes them feel like part of a community (of haters and bullies). All without requiring the person to put in any actual effort, or have any real worthwhile skills and talent, to 'impress' people.

They probably swap between Captain Marvel, Supergirl, and Batwoman, and who knows what else - gotta have some variety of things to announce your 'hatred' of.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Internet addiction to outrage, competitive outrage, and jumping on a bandwagon. Who's negative comment can get the most up-votes, and hence make that person feel validated and powerful for putting-down 'the power' (in this case a television network and/or actor). It's just bullying, but in the safe space of internet anonymity, it also makes them feel like part of a community (of haters and bullies). All without requiring the person to put in any actual effort, or have any real worthwhile skills and talent, to 'impress' people.

They probably swap between Captain Marvel, Supergirl, and Batwoman, and who knows what else - gotta have some variety of things to announce your 'hatred' of.
    Yep.

Additionally, since this isn't exactly the brightest bunch of folks, I think some of them might actually think downvoting a YouTube video will help do something concrete.

First and foremost I have nothing against progressive DC Shows Doom Patrol was a damn Masterpiece IMO. But it seems if you criticize the show you lumped in with the "Whamen" halfwits.

But this thing looks like Birds of Prey the 2002 series which isn't a good thing but with cringy dialogue and from what has been seen bad acting I mean bad acting for the CW which is saying something only the Alice actor looked good so far.

First, you have to temper your expectations with the fact that everything we've seen so far is from the Pilot. It's more than likely that the producers and writers will take the criticisms they've heard about the Pilot from those who have already seen it (studio execs), along with criticisms they hear from the trailer, and use that to make adjustments to the show.

On top of that, these shows tend to take a little while to get into their groove. I gave up on Arrow after two episodes, and only came back a year and a half later because I learned that an actor I liked was on the show. And re-watching the first season, I could see them gradually changing things to make the show better. Legends of Tomorrow- that show is still reinventing itself.

Basically what I am saying is- yes, there was some cringe-worthy dialogue in the trailer, and maybe the acting was spotty. But you have to allow for the finished product to be better, or at least different, then what we have seen so far.

Ironically, that “Alice” actor used to be In “ birds of prey”.

Say what you want about BOP but it didn't really look bad.