Page 167 of 233 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

This was much better than Episode 1. Connection to the established characters still isn't perfect, but we're getting there.

I'm already back to being tired of Alice being this super planner and fighter. She even managed to sneak up on Julia and stab her! I don't necessarily want Ryan to kill Alice because it's her acting out of vengeance and Luke pointed out the code and all that...but they need to get rid of Alice.

Mary continues to be my favorite character on the show. She's the most sympathetic, and I'm glad they didn't retool the show so much that they had to abandon her progression.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    What a coincidence- Ryan finds the one entry in Kate’s journal that talked about the one time they met. And does this mean that Ryan knows that Bruce Wayne is batman?
    Didn't she look up the entry by date? She remembered the night because it was Halloween. I like the passing of the torch from Kate writing to Bruce to Ryan writing to Kate. We're really going to need some closure to at least one of these, though.

Question. Does anyone think they introduced the Batmobile because Javicia Leslie could or wouldn't ride a motorcycle?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Question. Does anyone think they introduced the Batmobile because Javicia Leslie could or wouldn't ride a motorcycle?
    Haven't there been several horrible accidents the past few years involving female stunt drivers and motorcycles? Maybe they just want to be safer. I dunno...

What makes you think Ruby was riding the motorcycle? They have stuntwomen.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I'm pretty sure I have a crush on Javicia Leslie and the actress who plays Mary. I think there's a storyline going on but I haven't noticed it.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I'm already back to being tired of Alice being this super planner and fighter. She even managed to sneak up on Julia and stab her! I don't necessarily want Ryan to kill Alice because it's her acting out of vengeance and Luke pointed out the code and all that...but they need to get rid of Alice.
    The old Arrowverse Problem of keeping villains around way to long.
    It was the same thing with Malcom Merlin, Reverse Flash and Tobias Whale.

They were originally going to introduce the Batmobile at the end of season 1, according to the designer. These first two episodes have basically been the original end of season 1.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I feel like the writers are doing their best, and Ryan is a likeable and relatable character, but it feels like there's now two different shows they're trying to merge together. Especially trying to make Kate's supporting cast work for Ryan. It just feels like there's a weird disconnect and the identity of the show just doesn't feel as clear.

A plane crash is a pretty abrupt way of killing your main character off. I mean, no body and all that, but I feel like they have as much of an idea of resolving the mystery of Kate as they did the mystery of Bruce. Talk about your vanishing protagonists.

We've seen girlfriends take the fall for their boyfriends, but Ryan took the fall for her girlfriend. I wonder if we'll meet her and have Ryan deal with what she's had to go through just because she took the fall for her.

I hope we see Kara react to Kate's disappearance since it happened right after Kara had seen her in National City, but that probably won't happen until after the main thrust of the Supergirl premier. Kara would feel guilty she wasn't there to save the plane.

We got Warren Christie playing Tommy Elliot playing Bruce Wayne, but are we ever going to see him play the actual Bruce Wayne? Minus the Batsuit, I assume.

Jacob didn't like Bruce, I take it, or at least he believed Bruce's public face was completely genuine. How long until he realizes or is told Bruce Wayne was Batman?

So, wait, Alfred is alive? Or were they just referring to where he lives when he's in the UK? Does he know where Bruce is?

I was expecting Alice to have killed Ryan's mom, but it turns out she just kind of...stumbled into her gang killing her and then was all like "what happened, guys?" I dunno, that just felt weird to me.

I feel like Mouse should've been way more decayed by then, but now his body is in an even worse state after what Alice did to him. Jeez, Alice treats her family terribly. And now Mary is left as nominally the only sister she has left.

I forgot Alice being Beth Kane wasn't public knowledge. Ryan hilariously thought the only reason Alice was still alive was because she's white, though it didn't take her long to put two and two together. I wonder how much else Ryan is going to wrongly assume because she didn't watch season 1.

The Batmobile was in the Batcave the entire time and just hidden behind a rock? Is there supposed to be a command to unlock the rock formation and reveal it? How did Luke not know it was there? Has he never run a scan on the cave? He never questioned where Bruce left it? Is that not where it's normally kept? Why was it hidden?

Alice pulled a Year One Batman. They even needed everyone who was there to get shots like in Year One.

I've never seen anyone threaten someone with a grapple gun.

Who runs Hamilton Dynamics now? Does Mary own stock in the company?

I can't help but think Mary is so gung-ho on Ryan being Batwoman because a part of her thinks Ryan will likely break the "code" when it comes to Alice.

Kate had military training and some nebulous outside around-the-world training but still struggled to fight criminals. I mean, Luke's not wrong, but it still hurts. Even in her sequence in Ryan's flashback she ended up needing a civilian to help her (and seemingly didn't catch any of those guys). I don't think Ryan having more experience with criminals is going to make that much of a difference, because Kate probably was training to some extent to think like a criminal as an investigator when she wanted to be part of the Crows.

Ryan's just a master martial artist who survived prison? I mean, I guess by Batfamily standards that's not bad from a starting point.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone in the Batfamily actually say they hate bats. Okay, maybe Bruce was actually afraid of bats in the Nolan movies, but I guess we have to make Ryan feel like even more of an oddball in this show.

It would've been nice if they could've gotten Ruby Rose back to narrate the letter to Sophie and the journal entry Ryan read. It definitely would have conveyed the message more strongly. But I understand why that wasn't feasible.

I kept wondering if they were going to incorporate any of the Kate/Safiyah stuff from the comics and then Safiyah just casually blows Kate's plane up. Is Tatianna supposed to be their stand-in for The Knife?
    Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    They were originally going to introduce the Batmobile at the end of season 1, according to the designer. These first two episodes have basically been the original end of season 1.
    Man, that would have been an epic way to send season 1...

Mighty Member

I liked how Zsasz had to resort to using his head to record a notch for his kills .

This version of Zsasz was pretty in-line with the version from Gotham, being more of a jovial/talkative hitman and assassin than the crazed serial killer from the comics. Much more dapper looking and less shirtless too, although he as enough notches on his entire body that now he has to start marking his head.

I'm not sure if the affair was deep enough that they're murdered bodies needed to be posed romantically, but I guess it was artistic.

TV Batwomen have a steep learning curve it seems, right down to having difficult throwing Batarangs right. Are we to assume Bruce was like this when he just started out?

Luke really is the master of passive-aggressive dialogue.

So Ryan is now the bartender of The Hold Up to keep it relevant so she can have a civilian day job. Will we be seeing Ryan bar-tending as much as Kate did real estate?

Mary sold her shares of Hamilton Dynamics and now owns The Hold Up. Does that make her the richest person in Gotham that isn't Bruce Wayne? Although I wonder where the Wayne Fortune is...

Ryan Wilder isn't a criminal, she just dates them. Is this Angelique the same person Ryan took the fall for? She seems like bad news if Zsasz knows and respects her.

Coryanna looks about the same from the comics, although I always imagined Safiyah with a more Latin accent instead of a British one. She's also much more light-skinned compared to her comic counterpart, but is as composed and sensual as I would expect from her.

Safiyah trained Beth into Alice, back when she was seemingly not as unstable as she was then, and their dynamic seems to be a stand-in to Kate and Safiyah's from the comics, minus the romantic element (although Safiyah now has a crush on Sophie?). Safiyah didn't seem all that bitter about Alice leaving her until she brought the Desert Rose to Gotham and exposed it's cure-all properties (it can actually cure cancer) which apparently no one can know about. And so instead of killing Kate, she kidnapped her. Although I can't help but wonder how long the writers are going to drag this out for a character they're not sure they'll ever get to use again.

Luke and Mary felt like they were channeling the Kate fans vs. the writers when it comes to Kate's fate, with Luke believing she's still out there and is the one true Batwoman while Mary is suddenly ms. reality and saying Kate has suddenly lost all her plot armor. I feel like part of it is Mary projecting too much onto Ryan.

Of course a new Batwoman has to make a new suit, although I'm not sure if the wig is so much better because it makes it look like Ryan's hair blew up a little, but I get what she was going for even if the red tips seem a little much just to reference the old wig. I wonder if Batwoman III might go for a green wig...

That was kind of an anti-climactic end to the Zsasz fight, even if it culminated the bo-staff gag, but I guess Ryan kicks as hard as Batman does.

Ryan's PO just won't give her a break, on-top of making her feel less than compared to her alter ego.

Mary is now Batwoman's PR girl? It fits her.

A painting by Jack Napier? Was that just a nod or was Arrowverse Joker a painter before he fell into a vat at Ace Chemicals?

Bluebird

No new episode next Sunday due to the Super Bowl, by the way. Even superheroes are no match for football.

It'll be a shame if it really turns out that Kate has just been captured and is being held somewhere. The longer they drag this out, the worse it will come across, imo. I would have preferred that Kate at least had some agency in her decision to leave. (writers could have made up any number of reasons) Jacob might remain tight-lipped about it, but if Luke finds out there'd be no reason he wouldn't get in contact with Supergirl or the League somehow and have them mount a rescue. That's something that should at least be addressed.

I do like that they had Alice receive actual training. Her fighting skills at least make sense now. (even Joker, as many times as he's gone toe-to-toe with Batman never came across as "skilled" the way Alice does)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-01-2021 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It'll be a shame if it really turns out that Kate has just been captured and is being held somewhere. The longer they drag this out, the worse it will come across, imo. I would have preferred that Kate at least had some agency in her decision to leave. (writers could have made up any number of reasons) Jacob might remain tight-lipped about it, but if Luke finds out there'd be no reason he wouldn't get in contact with Supergirl or the League somehow and have them mount a rescue. That's something that should at least be addressed.

I do like that they had Alice receive actual training. Her fighting skills at least make sense now. (even Joker, as many times as he's gone toe-to-toe with Batman never came across as "skilled" the way Alice does)
    How much does Luke know about Kate’s involvement with the crisis? Or for that matter, elseworlds?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    How much does Luke know about Kate’s involvement with the crisis? Or for that matter, elseworlds?
    Didn't she talk to him about it after it happened? I mean, I'm sure it came up when the Beth from another Earth turned up.