Page 17 of 233 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Stoicism isn't the absence of emotion, it's the control of them.
    Brie appears to have mastered this, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gooch4011 View Post
    Can people just not liking something without being labeled as trolls?
    I have no doubt there are some legitimate dislikes, but it's 35k up to 77k down as of this writing. That's excessive and obviously skewed. But it's sadly not unexpected, since irrational hatred follows Batwoman and characters like her wherever they appear.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I have no doubt there are some legitimate dislikes, but it's 35k up to 77k down as of this writing. That's excessive and obviously skewed. But it's sadly not unexpected, since irrational hatred follows Batwoman and characters like her wherever they appear.
    I'm sure there are some down votes just because its Batwoman, and I'm sure some are because it's CW. For me its a down vote because its just looks so low budget. It was so full of cringe, which really sucks because they could do so much with this character. It's sad because that's happened for me with all these CW shows. I dipped out of Arrow around season 6, or which ever season it was with the Russian Mob. I stopped watching Flash during season 3, and the others just never really stuck with me. I had high hopes for this show then they first mentioned it, and I have nothing against people that seen that trailer and love it. To me though... it just looks so bad.

Can people just not liking something without being labeled as trolls?
    Well, judging by all the hateful comments, and the (as mentioned) almost unreal growth speed of the dislike bar.....

For me its a down vote because its just looks so low budget.
    Huh? What looks low-budget?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Huh? What looks low-budget?
    I think all around it looks pretty low budget. The Batcave was impressive but it just looks bad. The acting looks terrible besides Dougray Scott, granted I've only seen the trailer, it just looks bad. Like I said, NOTHING against anyone that is hyped for it, I get it and I hope its good for the sake of people that want to enjoy it. This isn't a comment of hate or anything it is just my observation. I'll still check it out as the DC fan boy in me always does.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I would prefer if this show was on DC's streaming service than the CW. I got Supergirl vibes from the trailer and I'm not a fan of that show.

I think while there are certainly trolls who just voted down because it's batwoman, there are a ton of legitimate reasons why this is getting trashed by people. Regardless of people's opinion on Kate, the main draw for the common fan that this series is aimed at is the fact that it is associated with Batman, Gotham city etc.. While comic fans could completely watch this just because of Kate, to the average non comic buying fan the bat angle is the most important thing. When the trailer goes out of it's way several times to take shots at batman, you are going to have a lot of people not like it. Whether fans want to admit it or not leveraging Batman's popularity to get people invested in this show is vital if it is going to succeed and instead of showing any respect for the character you get "Batman gave up and quit" and "It will be perfect when it's fits a woman" and " I am not letting a man take credit". As a batman fan that a 2 minute trailer felt it necessary to take multiple shots at batman just to pitch their show, kills my interest in the show.

Not to mention that the CW is about as subtle as a jackhammer when it comes to political commentary and agendas on their show, now that could work if you have top notch writing, production, directing and acting but given CW shows limitations, you have at best C level talent associated with this show. That really shows in their inability to have characters talk like actual people and instead making them sound like mouth pieces for a heavy handed messages that the writers wanted to include. You can absolutely put those messages into shows but the dialogue they choose to use to show these views in CW shows is forced and cringe inducing more times than not. I was genuinely hoping this show would be good and given that Kate is kinda separate from Bruce in most of the comics, I thought it could handle things well but instead it's the "batman sucks, the world needs batwoman" show and that removes any interest I have. Also If you are going to include the line " I am not letting a man take credit for a woman's work" maybe don't have the character saying that literally co-opt the man's suit, tools, assistants, theme and company. Kinda hard to say that you deserve the credit when everything you have was literally taken from someone else. Honestly I hope bruce never shows up on this show because instead of getting any respect he will most likely get the treatment Superman got from the supergirl show, where he will show up just to be humiliated in a fight with batwoman and then leave and admit that batwoman is greater than he could ever be.

I really hate that they went with this angle, there was no reason for the show to be antagonistic against batman but they couldn't help themselves and now a ton of people appear to be unhappy and it didn't need to be that way. I went from wanting to watch this show to absolutely uninterested in it because as interesting as Kate can be I am not watching a show that is basically going to trash batman. Kate is a good character and her fans certainly deserved better than it appears they will get with this show.
    Last edited by regg215; 05-17-2019 at 04:29 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

I'm not worried.

I recall ppl exploding at the original Titans trailer, and Youtube filled with videos of angry fanboys ranting - how the show would flop, and how bad it was going to be. It got renewed for a second season, and by all accounts is doing well so...the haters were obviously right...

Lots of haters for Gotham as well, but it lasted 5 seasons. Then all the ppl calling Pennyworth "pointless", we will see.

Many people are getting upset about 2 lines of dialogue, not shown in full context, and missing the point that the character is obviously meant to start off as arrogant. It's two lines out of a movie-length pilot, and if thought about some - she's not really attacking Batman but trying to establish herself and is obviously insecure about that around Luke. It's like forget Batman (my big cuz), I'm gonna be Batwoman, I can do it too and he's not around to do it. Very childish, but that's okay because it's more interesting than a Mary Sue, and means she can spend basically most of the first season growing her emotional maturity.

The majority of ppl that watch these trailers are either interested or not, most won't take the time to comment or log in to vote. People are more likely to comment about something they are unhappy about than something they are satisfied with. If you are already happy there is less motivation for action, and logging in and commenting takes effort - why bother if you are either indifferent or pleased? There's nothing you need to change.

Yes, those lines were corny, but it looks like this Kate is intentionally a brat, with the insecurities that go with it. And that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    That’s odd; i thought they would’ve waited until arrow ended before launching batwoman- but at least i won’t have to wait until next year to watch it. Now- am i going to give supergirl another chance?�� The synopsis for batwoman sounds like arrow 2.0.
    Supergirl has been great this season, especially since Lex Luthor was introduced.

I like a lot of what's in this trailer, but it's really weirdly structured.
    I liked the trailer. For what I have seen it does make me want to watch the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Well no. That's how Kate was written. It's not how she was played. But like I said, you're seeing something a lot of people aren't. And to be fair, I'm sure a lot of people are too, it's all subjective in the end.

The thing is, I don't consider myself an acting snob. I've been watching telly and movies for a long time, very little of which would be considered highbrow entertainment (seriously, I really enjoyed the aforementioned Birds of Prey) - and from the thousands of performances I've probably seen, across all those shows and films, I honestly couldn't pick out more than a handful of actors who have ever been bad enough to take me out of whatever I'm watching.

But Ruby is one of them.
    She seemed convincing as a Bat person to me. Didn't seem any worse than Christian Bale or Ben Affleck. No one is ever going to top Michael Keaton, especially for a TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Woah, the dislike bar on the trailer really grew. Salty manbaby troll attack, I'm guessing?
    Yeah, you have the same man babies that were lambasting Captain Marvel making videos whining about Batwoman. Captain Marvel has made over $1 billion so I don't expect them to affect Batwoman that much either.

I think all around it looks pretty low budget. The Batcave was impressive but it just looks bad. The acting looks terrible besides Dougray Scott, granted I've only seen the trailer, it just looks bad. Like I said, NOTHING against anyone that is hyped for it, I get it and I hope its good for the sake of people that want to enjoy it. This isn't a comment of hate or anything it is just my observation. I'll still check it out as the DC fan boy in me always does.
    Obviously they don't have a Marvel movie budget or even a Game of Thones budget. For a CW show it seemed about on par with the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I would prefer if this show was on DC's streaming service than the CW. I got Supergirl vibes from the trailer and I'm not a fan of that show.
    If it is anywhere near as good as Supergirl I am going to enjoy the Batwoman series. Supergirl is probably the reason I will watch Batwoman.

There were only two things that bothered me with that trailer- Dougray Scott looks too young to be Kate's father, and it took a second watching for me to realize the black guy was Luke Fox and not Curtis Holt, and I was really tired of Mr. Terrific on Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    I think while there are certainly trolls who just voted down because it's batwoman, there are a ton of legitimate reasons why this is getting trashed by people. Regardless of people's opinion on Kate, the main draw for the common fan that this series is aimed at is the fact that it is associated with Batman, Gotham city etc.. While comic fans could completely watch this just because of Kate, to the average non comic buying fan the bat angle is the most important thing. When the trailer goes out of it's way several times to take shots at batman, you are going to have a lot of people not like it. Whether fans want to admit it or not leveraging Batman's popularity to get people invested in this show is vital if it is going to succeed and instead of showing any respect for the character you get "Batman gave up and quit" and "It will be perfect when it's fits a woman" and " I am not letting a man take credit". As a batman fan that a 2 minute trailer felt it necessary to take multiple shots at batman just to pitch their show, kills my interest in the show.

Not to mention that the CW is about as subtle as a jackhammer when it comes to political commentary and agendas on their show, now that could work if you have top notch writing, production, directing and acting but given CW shows limitations, you have at best C level talent associated with this show. That really shows in their inability to have characters talk like actual people and instead making them sound like mouth pieces for a heavy handed messages that the writers wanted to include. You can absolutely put those messages into shows but the dialogue they choose to use to show these views in CW shows is forced and cringe inducing more times than not. I was genuinely hoping this show would be good and given that Kate is kinda separate from Bruce in most of the comics, I thought it could handle things well but instead it's the "batman sucks, the world needs batwoman" show and that removes any interest I have. Also If you are going to include the line " I am not letting a man take credit for a woman's work" maybe don't have the character saying that literally co-opt the man's suit, tools, assistants, theme and company. Kinda hard to say that you deserve the credit when everything you have was literally taken from someone else. Honestly I hope bruce never shows up on this show because instead of getting any respect he will most likely get the treatment Superman got from the supergirl show, where he will show up just to be humiliated in a fight with batwoman and then leave and admit that batwoman is greater than he could ever be.

I really hate that they went with this angle, there was no reason for the show to be antagonistic against batman but they couldn't help themselves and now a ton of people appear to be unhappy and it didn't need to be that way. I went from wanting to watch this show to absolutely uninterested in it because as interesting as Kate can be I am not watching a show that is basically going to trash batman. Kate is a good character and her fans certainly deserved better than it appears they will get with this show.
    Well, if you don’t want your lead character to be overshadowed by Batman, how do you explain his abscence, along with any other bat characters? They did the same thing with birds of prey. I’ll give this show a shot, but since my track record for sticking with the Arrowverse shows past the crossovers is currently 0-5, i’m Not holding out much hope. I’m more bothered by ruby rose’s Tattoos than her acting ability, and the overall religion of crime storyline in the Batwoman book didn’t grab my interest. and there’s a couple of characters too many for my liking.
    Last edited by protege; 05-17-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Well, if you don’t want your lead character to be overshadowed by Batman, how do you explain his abscence, along with any other bat characters? They did the same thing with birds of prey. I’ll give this show a shot, but since my track record for sticking with the Arrowverse shows past the crossovers is currently 0-5, i’m Not holding out much hope. I’m more bothered by ruby rose’s Tattoos than her acting ability, and the overall religion of crime storyline in the Batwoman book didn’t grab my interest. and there’s a couple of characters too many for my liking.

Easy, Batman is believed to have died while failing to rescue billionaire Bruce Wayne.

I have laughed with glee with the success of Captain Marvel and those who thought their "boycott" would do anything. But on the other hand you just can't say "Man Babies" when something also looks bad. It looks fine for a CW DC show but that Bad when compared to other shows. I mean DC has now has one of the best superhero shows of all time in Doom Patrol so it's easy to forget how bad some of CW stuff is and this trailer being Bat related is bringing more people than usual to it.

But it will also do fine the CW is a low bar for success Supergirl was a failure for CBS but hit for CW and the ratings are lower.

The main target audience is most likely teen girls and young women, and then it would be for other audiences as secondary. But a trailer has to prioritise the key demographic first and foremost, and worry about the other audience afterwards.

They clearly want the Supergirl fanbase, since they want the crossovers, and are also going to air the two shows back to back (Batwoman at 8pm, followed by Supergirl at 9pm on Sundays). So the first trailer was made to appeal to the Supergirl fanbase. If they do another trailer, the tone might be quite different, who knows.

I think this also explains why Kate is seemingly childish and petulant to start with - to make her more relate-able for a younger audience. This isn't like the DCU, which is for an older audience with more extreme violence and themes (from what I've heard of it), or that's the impression I'm getting anyway.

New statue:
    D6zxQrjUIAEEHT4.jpg

https://twitter.com/BatwomanBR/statu...42886754803713

I have no doubt there are some legitimate dislikes, but it's 35k up to 77k down as of this writing. That's excessive and obviously skewed.
    Did a slight bit of digging for you:

The First Look clip has more positive than negative as of this writing 1.8k vs 675, and the Titans original trailer still has more negative than positive as well with 10k up vs 27k down. Hope that puts things into perspective for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=b0uWVAIuPRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIYzdBAxcM8
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 05-17-2019 at 08:00 PM.