Page 22 of 233 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    With that promo ? Its trying too hard.
    At what?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    At what?
    "Look at how rebellious and cool she is"

So... what's the issue? They're depicting her exactly the way they're intending to.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

LOLZ. So much fail.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    LOLZ. So much fail.
    If that's how she's intended to be depicted, and they are in fact depicting her that way, then what's the fail?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Supergirl`s pilot also leaked a few months before the TV premiere, IIRC.
    Yes, it did. I had it, and was honestly shocked that it was the exact same thing as when the pilot aired on TV. No changes, edits, or anything.

If advertising campaigns are too subtle the message becomes unclear.

Look, far as I can tell the target demographic is the same group as the Supergirl fanbase, which makes perfect sense. The two shows will be aired back to back, and in last year's crossover they already established a dynamic between the two characters.

So pitching to a Supergirl fanbase, what makes Kate different to Kara? Kara is sweet, kinda awkward in that way many people find endearing, and humble. So what is Kate like? Cool, confident, and kinda arrogant (at least to begin with). Kara, from what I recall, in season 1 was very much in favor of doing what she was told, until she had to save her sister and revealed herself. She was told to hide her powers all her life, she did so up until the point of the events of episode 1. Kara was eager to please when working at Catco, and she went along and worked with the DEO pretty quickly (though her sister being in that group helped a lot). It looks like Kate's journey will be quite opposite, and this is good so the core audience doesn't get more of the same. And yes, I watch Supergirl.

Fair enough. It just looks to have all the subtlety of a brick which is frankly a sign of poor writing, especially when it comes to the femenist/LGBT issues which afaik have moved beyond the "scream it out" stage and are at the "lets normalise this for the average person" stage when it comes to showing it in media.

It just looks to have all the subtlety of a brick which is frankly a sign of poor writing
    More subtle and thought provoking would be nice, but the Arrowverse is already long established - and since Batwoman is a part of the same universe it has to fit in.

I am interested to see how Batwoman and Supergirl's contrasting personalities will play off in team-ups and crossovers.

Batwoman in the comics rarely teams-up, and when she does it typically stays in the Bat-Fam - Nightwing, Batgirl, Red Hood, Batman, Renee, and Flamebird most notably, and only for short times. Any larger teams have also been temporary, and she usually manages to end it by upsetting people, lol.

*DEO, they blackmailed her to work with them, so no big loss.
    *The Unknowns, can't remember what happened with them, maybe they just disbanded, but they sucked anyway so no loss.
    *Gotham Knights - well, that one exploded. But her point was valid and Basil came back to life in the same arc anyway (or maybe everyone just thought he was dead but he wasn't). Plus, the reveal that Batman manipulated her into joining the Team anyway. Got disbanded, since Batman's whole reason for forming the team was to keep Batwoman from joining the Colony.
    *The Colony, she joined them for a short while, then told her dad to disband them or something, I can't remember. Her father was manipulating her to join them originally anyway, and later she only joined because Batman seemingly tossed her out of the Gotham Knights.

See the exception is the Unknowns, who sucked anyway, but otherwise if she joins a formal team it's usually when someone has being trying to manipulate her into joining, at least initially. Hence she has a track record of destroying them (as a team) upon exit, well not the DEO, they are too big and the grudge was only with Bones.

Point being, Batwoman doesn't play nice with others, and I'm curious to see how much they stick to, or more likely change, that in the Arrowverse.

The characters can roughly described something like this:

Barry - the nice guy. Supposed to inspire people.
    Kara - the nice girl. Supposed to inspire people.
    Ollie - the tough brooding guy.
    Sarah - the tough, kinda playful, leader.
    Kate - still to be determined (since I don't trust the accuracy of only 5 mins of screentime in a crossover, and a bunch of out-of-context trailers).

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Point being, Batwoman doesn't play nice with others
    But she does. Wonder Woman? Batgirl? Red Hood? Nightwing? Most of the Knights, including Batman? She gets along fine with all of them.

But she does. Wonder Woman? Batgirl? Red Hood? Nightwing? Most of the Knights, including Batman? She gets along fine with all of them.
    For short runs, sure, I was getting off topic and talking long term. Formal Teams, they don't last, not while she's with them anyway, not so far - though I admit her comic history is rather short in the scale of things. I don't want her in any formal Team on tv anyway, not a big team like Flash has theses days.

But it would be nice if they put her in a proper team in the comics, that didn't involve someone manipulating her into it, and that preferably didn't involve any of the Bat-kids: Tim, Steph and Cass having their teen angst and taking turns bashing Batwoman (both verbally and physically) was gross and not at all enjoyable. Tim kept trying to kill her, Steph tasered her (with her own tasers to add insult to injury, plus the smart-alec remarks), Cass ripped off her symbol and clocked her on the jaw - yes there was context for it, but I don't read comics with Batwoman in it to watch her be a punching bag for Batman's sidekicks. If she gets put in another Team I hope it is mostly, if no all, composed of adults so she can be around peers - and not a teacher figure for the kids to use as a punching bag to vent their anger on.

I noticed how Batman didn't get physically assaulted by the kids, yelled at sure, but you didn't see them smacking him about like they did Batwoman. He got to hug and comfort Steph and Cass, Kate only got to hug Tim after he'd been trying to kill her for quite some time.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 07-13-2019 at 12:06 AM.

New promo image:

BWReady.jpg

Cool.

Apparently a lot of scenes are being shot on rooftops, so the signal should get plenty of use. Interestingly the only I recall it being used in the comics specifically to summon Batwoman, was in the 52. Since in the live-action series she's taking over for Batman though, it'll be used for her. Not sure if other Bat-Family members use the signal all that much in the comics.

https://twitter.com/BatwomanBR/statu...22000024842240

Speaking of 52, the very last line of it is the exact same as the tagline on the new poster (and spoken by Renee to Kate). I doubt that's a coincidence, despite it not being a terribly unique sentence.

I also noticed that the logotype for the series is a modified version of the font used for The New Batman Adventures, whatever that's worth.

Speaking of 52, the very last line of it is the exact same as the tagline on the new poster (and spoken by Renee to Kate). I doubt that's a coincidence, despite it not being a terribly unique sentence.
    Ah, we'll have to see what this Sophie character is like, since she basically only existed as backstory and cameos in the comics. It's a pity they couldn't just have Renee (unless she'll show-up later, but doubtful given the BoP film, and with Sophie as a main cast member in Batwoman). I wonder how much Sophie might actually be Renee without being called Renee (albeit with a different backstory), similar to how Colonel Haley in Supergirl seems to basically be Amanda Waller - or if Soph will be more of a uniquely new character.