Page 231 of 233 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231232233 LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,465 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Since when does The Legends need studio space? They should just run-n-gun it guerrilla stylez on the streets of Vancouver! They got iphones, don't they??

I meant to ask this question. Would an Azrael Batman type Knightfall storyline have worked well on this show?

Azrael Batman shows up, seems to be doing good. Changes to the more Azrael Batman costume. Finally goes a bit over the line and has to be stopped by Batwoman.

Or, the new girl could have been the Azrael and becomes herself the Batwoman, and then you could introduce the Order of St Dumas as a new villain.

Purely hypothetical, I wanted others opinions.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Since when does The Legends need studio space? They should just run-n-gun it guerrilla stylez on the streets of Vancouver! They got iphones, don't they??
    Back in the day Highlander the Series had a nice finale and a film Endgame which entwined the show to the original film more and it was a nice ending basically.

Then Adrian Paul the star of the show did a direct to video Highlander movie called the Source in 08 which was so awful the shows producers made a 20 minutes long video at a beach house with 3 of the shows actors including a character who was killed in the Source and released it onto Youtube. So basically this video completely negates the source from canon lol. They later called the Source a bad dream Duncan the main character had.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I meant to ask this question. Would an Azrael Batman type Knightfall storyline have worked well on this show
    Azrael Batman shows up, seems to be doing good. Changes to the more Azrael Batman costume. Finally goes a bit over the line and has to be stopped by Batwoman.
    Or, the new girl could have been the Azrael and becomes herself the Batwoman, and then you could introduce the Order of St Dumas as a new villain.
    Purely hypothetical, I wanted others opinions.
    I'm usually of the opinion that almost anything "can" work - it's all about the execution. Some scenarios are of course more problematic than others. I think the timing of this kind of storyline would have been important in terms of its relationship to Batwoman - whether it would be at the beginning of the show and that's what motivated Kate to take the mantle or during Ryan's tenure. (since this ultimately has to be Batwoman's story) I suppose it could have worked for a season long arc, where the new Batman seems cool at first, and you'd need some time for his downfall to be emotionally effective.(otherwise doing it with a character we haven't had time to get to know wouldn't mean anything and comic book fans are expecting it) One important aspect would be whether or not Bruce chose Azrael to replace him - it would certainly be more interesting if he had. Otherwise, it would be more like a replay of "Reign of Superman" with various people assuming the legacy in the hero's absence.

One problem might be that they already did an Azrael/Order of St Dumas storyline in "Gotham." Would it have been to soon to go back to that well? Not sure - the storyline would be different enough I guess.

Another problem is that there'd be that contingent of folks who would bitch that having Batwoman beat Azbat would just be dumping on the character to prop up a female hero.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-22-2022 at 10:57 AM.

I'm usually of the opinion that almost anything "can" work - it's all about the execution. Some scenarios are of course more problematic than others. I think the timing of this kind of storyline would have been important in terms of its relationship to Batwoman - whether it would be at the beginning of the show and that's what motivated Kate to take the mantle or during Ryan's tenure. (since this ultimately has to be Batwoman's story) I suppose it could have worked for a season long arc, where the new Batman seems cool at first, and you'd need some time for his downfall to be emotionally effective.(otherwise doing it with a character we haven't had time to get to know wouldn't mean anything and comic book fans are expecting it) One important aspect would be whether or not Bruce chose Azrael to replace him - it would certainly be more interesting if he had. Otherwise, it would be more like a replay of "Reign of Superman" with various people assuming the legacy in the hero's absence.

One problem might be that they already did an Azrael/Order of St Dumas storyline in "Gotham." Would it have been to soon to go back to that well? Not sure - the storyline would be different enough I guess.

Another problem is that there'd be that contingent of folks who would bitch that having Batwoman beat Azbat would just be dumping on the character to prop up a female hero.
    I think it would have been worth it to be more comic-accurate and, presumably, using Jean-Paul Valley.

Yes, and this was actually my biggest fear.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Somewhere Ruby Rose is toasting the shows demise and saying ...karma. In the end the show should have re-cast the role of Kate really. Shows have changed actors and actresses before and not made a confusing mess of storylines and drive more away from it.

Stephanie Beatriz openly wanted the role. I mean she came out wanting to play Batwoman and had came off a long run on Brooklyn 9-9 as a tough , take no crap cop. People had fan campaign to get her the role. It was literally being handed the best situation a show could have.

1- Fan favorite actress wants to play character you need to keep.

2- She is coming off a good run on TV and could lure fans to the show.

So producers being so far gone decided to ignore all that and do a stupid deal where they cast a woman in a van becoming Batwoman and the show literally would have been cancelled in season 2. But old CW kept things around while Discovery is like....NOPE.

People can look back at the decision to not re-cast the character as the literal death nail of the series.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Somewhere Ruby Rose is toasting the shows demise and saying ...karma. In the end the show should have re-cast the role of Kate really. Shows have changed actors and actresses before and not made a confusing mess of storylines and drive more away from it.

Stephanie Beatriz openly wanted the role. I mean she came out wanting to play Batwoman and had came off a long run on Brooklyn 9-9 as a tough , take no crap cop. People had fan campaign to get her the role. It was literally being handed the best situation a show could have.

1- Fan favorite actress wants to play character you need to keep.

2- She is coming off a good run on TV and could lure fans to the show.

So producers being so far gone decided to ignore all that and do a stupid deal where they cast a woman in a van becoming Batwoman and the show literally would have been cancelled in season 2. But old CW kept things around while Discovery is like....NOPE.

People can look back at the decision to not re-cast the character as the literal death nail of the series.
    I HATED that instead of recasting, they just created a new character of a woman living in a van (down by the RIVER! Really, the jokes wrote themselves). And I hated that, when they finally did recast Kate, they just had to pull out brainwashing for the 5 millionth time in the Arrowverse and made her the villain. And I can't understate how much I loathed the fact that Ryan never got a clean win (or any win) over Kate, that it took Alice to snap her out of it and bring the real Kate back, and once she was back, she was just happy to hand the mantle over to Ryan so she could go off looking for her cousin. That was the single most ri-goddang-diculous thing that show did, in my mind.

That said... I have to disagree with you. If this was the same old CW, Batwoman (and Legends) would have been renewed. The producer at the CW has stated he wanted to bring both shows back, but he was overruled by WB/Discovery. So in this case, you can't say that not recasting the character was the death knell. The true death knell was the sale of Warner Brothers, and the impending sale of the CW.

Stephanie Beatriz got to voice Kate in Catwoman: Hunted (now available on HBOMax).

I think the whole "replace the lead character instead of recasting even though we recasted anyways" was dumb, but at least Ryan offered a different perspective than Kate did.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Javicia Leslie thinks that Batwoman is comparable to Black Panther in terms of cultural impact.

https://comicbookmovie.com/tv/dc/bat...3912#gs.14m0b6

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Javicia Leslie thinks that Batwoman is comparable to Black Panther in terms of cultural impact.

https://comicbookmovie.com/tv/dc/bat...3912#gs.14m0b6

Is she forgetting about Black Lightning? She wasn't the first major black Superhero show even on that network.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is she forgetting about Black Lightning? She wasn't the first major black Superhero show even on that network.
    Speaking of which does anyone remember I think it was called Mantis it was on in the 90's on Fox with Carl Lumley as the main character a scientist I believe with a super tech suit. Just the Black Lightning being 1st for the CW made me think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Speaking of which does anyone remember I think it was called Mantis it was on in the 90's on Fox with Carl Lumley as the main character a scientist I believe with a super tech suit. Just the Black Lightning being 1st for the CW made me think of it.
    I'd never even heard of it before!

I'd never even heard of it before!
    I just looked up on wiki and Sam Raimi was the creator and directed the pilot. I didn't remember that.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

She's forgetting about quite a few shows. The only reverence I've ever seen this show have was to laugh at it