Page 29 of 233 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    A new trailer apparently for the full series (with footage from more than the pilot) premiered at the iHeartRadio Music Festival this evening and will probably be released in full on Sunday.

spoilers:
    A diamond heist(?), car chases, Kate in bed with a blonde, Mary being chased by someone with what looks like an axe, what looks like Sophie and Kate sparring in a Crow facility
    end of spoilers... and more. It is miles better than any of the other trailers, and I say that as someone who mostly liked them.

Edit: here's the bootleg. Original video by Harper Grae:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2s_PZsh...d=vf94g7crlcit
    Now I really wanna see the proper trailer, from the odd angle it looks like it is good. Really wanna see fights and chases - that's what's been missing from most of the teasers.

The more commercials and promos I see for this show, the more I'm convinced it's going to be absolutely terrible. It looks to be full of bad dialog and even worse acting. I'm a huge Batfan and never thought there'd come a day when we'd have so many DC related shows on tv. Unfortunately the CW shows have really taken a nosedive on quality and after Arrow comes to an end I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    The more commercials and promos I see for this show, the more I'm convinced it's going to be absolutely terrible. It looks to be full of bad dialog and even worse acting. I'm a huge Batfan and never thought there'd come a day when we'd have so many DC related shows on tv. Unfortunately the CW shows have really taken a nosedive on quality and after Arrow comes to an end I'm done.
    I'm honestly puzzled as to how you can think it looks so bad. Even that new bootleg, which is great? What specifically looks so bad to you?

Anyway...

"‘Batwoman’: CW Drama Tops New Fall Shows in Two TV Awareness Studies":

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/bat...ss-1203343941/

The TL;DR of that is it tops two different studies comparing how aware viewers are of a show, and how in demand a show is. Not the most scientific, sure, but still pretty cool.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I'm honestly puzzled as to how you can think it looks so bad. Even that new bootleg, which is great? What specifically looks so bad to you?

Anyway...

"‘Batwoman’: CW Drama Tops New Fall Shows in Two TV Awareness Studies":

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/bat...ss-1203343941/

The TL;DR of that is it tops two different studies comparing how aware viewers are of a show, and how in demand a show is. Not the most scientific, sure, but still pretty cool.
    I'm honestly puzzled how anyone can think it looks good! It looks terrible. But...I don't wish it ill-will. For those that are looking forward to it, I hope you really enjoy it.

Reading all of the comments from this newsarama review, it looks like I'm not the only one that thinks it looks bad, and that Ruby Rose is NOT a good actress: https://www.newsarama.com/46223-adva...-batwoman.html

I was a huge fan of the "Arrowverse" shows going into them. I've watched them all, bought every blu-ray release, etc, but I have to say that all of them have taken a nose-dive over the last couple of seasons. I stopped watching Supergirl completely more than a season ago and I'm not sure if I'll even catch up on it (I'm sure I will at some point but I don't really have a desire to watch it anytime soon). I am intrigued by 1)the Crisis crossover and 2)the ending of Arrow, but other than that I believe I'm done with the shows. I have zero desire to start watching Batwoman, but I will probably watch the pilot episode to see for myself if it's good or not (not holding out much hope for it, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised). If it underwhelms me then I won't bother with it (except for perhaps watching the Crisis crossover episode). It will probably be the first blu-ray set that I will not buy.
    Last edited by RickWJ324; 09-24-2019 at 04:59 AM.

I'm honestly puzzled how anyone can think it looks good! It looks terrible.
    What looks terrible? Can't you be more specific? Everything looks pretty good to me; the look, the acting, the production design, the action, the cinematography, etc. They seem to have done a good job fitting Kate into this specific world without changing that much, relatively speaking, or else appropriately accounting for those changes.

Reading all of the comments from this newsarama review, it looks like I'm not the only one that thinks it looks bad, and that Ruby Rose is NOT a good actress: https://www.newsarama.com/46223-adva...-batwoman.html
    Maybe instead of random commenters who haven't watched it (and quite frankly are blowing the negativity way, way out of proportion), it would be better to use the opinions of people who have, y'know... actually seen it?

Like here:

Or here:
    https://batwoman.tv/batwoman-pilot-s...-free-thoughts

Or most of these people:
    https://decider.com/2019/07/17/batwo...fan-reactions/

Or here:
    https://www.hypable.com/batwoman-ser...miere-preview/

Or here:
    https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/fall...cast-tv-shows/

Or here:
    https://twitter.com/dawnyb/status/11...077273600?s=19

Or here:
    https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...hows-2019.html

Or here:
    https://typingtess.tumblr.com/post/1...new-fall-shows
    Last edited by Caivu; 09-24-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

What looks terrible? Can't you be more specific? Everything looks pretty good to me; the look, the acting, the production design, the action, the cinematography, etc. They seem to have done a good job fitting Kate into this specific world without changing that much, relatively speaking, or else appropriately accounting for those changes.

Maybe instead of random commenters who haven't watched it (and quite frankly are blowing the negativity way, way out of proportion), it would be better to use the opinions of people who have, y'know... actually seen it?

Like here:

Or here:
    https://batwoman.tv/batwoman-pilot-s...-free-thoughts

Or most of these people:
    https://decider.com/2019/07/17/batwo...fan-reactions/

Or here:
    https://www.hypable.com/batwoman-ser...miere-preview/

Or here:
    https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/fall...cast-tv-shows/

Or here:
    https://twitter.com/dawnyb/status/11...077273600?s=19

Or here:
    https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...hows-2019.html

Or here:
    https://typingtess.tumblr.com/post/1...new-fall-shows

Ha... some the things you mention that looks "pretty good" to you are the things I've already been specific about. As I stated before, the ACTING and DIALOG are cringeworthy (at least from what I've seen so far). I truly expect this show to be abysmal, but as I stated before I would LOVE to be proven wrong and actually surprised by it. I will watch the pilot. I'm not saying it IS a bad show as I haven't seen it yet. And no, I'm not one to listen to critics, internet posters, or anyone else when it comes to their opinions on whether something is good or not...as TASTE is unique to everyone. I'm frequently in the minority when it comes to liking something, but that's great about opinion....you don't have to agree with everyone else.

I get it..you are a HUGE Batwoman fan and I'm sure you are looking forward to this show. I hope it's GREAT for you and you really enjoy it. IF I find it to be a good show then I will enjoy it as well. I truly don't think Ruby Rose is a good actress...I think that her casting for this role was done NOT because she was the best actress that auditioned, but I think it's more due to the fact that she's a lesbian in real life. That doesn't make her the perfect choice for the role. But... I hope I'm wrong and she does well in the role.

Ha... some the things you mention that looks "pretty good" to you are the things I've already been specific about. As I stated before, the ACTING and DIALOG are cringeworthy (at least from what I've seen so far). I truly expect this show to be abysmal, but as I stated before I would LOVE to be proven wrong and actually surprised by it.
    Then what's an example of these supposedly cringeworthy lines or acting?

I mean, c'mon. Expecting it to be "abysmal" from what's been shown is pretty harsh.

And no, I'm not one to listen to critics, internet posters, or anyone else when it comes to their opinions on whether something is good or not
    Weren't you doing that in your previous post with the whole Newsarama commenters thing?

I mean, c'mon. Expecting it to be "abysmal" from what's been shown is pretty harsh.

Weren't you doing that in your previous post with the whole Newsarama commenters thing?
    Look...I have no desire to get into a debate with ya....you like what you like, as do I. I don't have a single bit of dialog in my head that I can quote to you, but everything I've seen just reeks of terrible dialog, terrible acting, just a very amateurish show. I just know that every piece of promotion I've seen for it looks really bad. And again...being a bat-fan longer than you've probably been alive, I would very much like to support the show and wish for nothing but the best. From what I've seen though, I don't think that is the case.

It is my opinion though...one that I'm sure will be shared by many and refuted by many others. We shall see. In the meantime....I truly hope you enjoy the show.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Harsh? No, nearly every bad piece of negative feedback was justified.

I'm a casual fan of Batwoman (Cassandra Cain is by far my favorite) so I was looking forward to this show when I first heard of it...but that first trailer

It was easily the most cringeworthy promotion I ever watched. I don't think I'll ever be able to shake that one off.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Harsh? No, nearly every bad piece of negative feedback was justified.

I'm a casual fan of Batwoman (Cassandra Cain is by far my favorite) so I was looking forward to this show when I first heard of it...but that first trailer

It was easily the most cringeworthy promotion I ever watched. I don't think I'll ever be able to shake that one off.
    That's exactly the problem. You're basing that on a trailer. And not just any trailer, but the first trailer, which had problems that have been either toned down or removed in subsequent ones. A trailer which contains an objectionable final line that, according to several people who have seen the pilot, is no longer in it. A trailer that, again according to several pilot viewers, doesn't accurately reflect the sort of nuanced (and perhaps ultimately positive) way Kate sees Batman and Bruce. Even at the time, when that trailer was the only one out, the level of vitriol it received was absurd.

It's beyond frustrating to me to still see people locked into this months-old initial reaction to the first trailer without apparently taking anything new into account (like more concrete things such as reviews, which have been mostly good).

Ha... some the things you mention that looks "pretty good" to you are the things I've already been specific about. As I stated before, the ACTING and DIALOG are cringeworthy (at least from what I've seen so far). I truly expect this show to be abysmal, but as I stated before I would LOVE to be proven wrong and actually surprised by it. I will watch the pilot. I'm not saying it IS a bad show as I haven't seen it yet. And no, I'm not one to listen to critics, internet posters, or anyone else when it comes to their opinions on whether something is good or not...as TASTE is unique to everyone. I'm frequently in the minority when it comes to liking something, but that's great about opinion....you don't have to agree with everyone else.

I get it..you are a HUGE Batwoman fan and I'm sure you are looking forward to this show. I hope it's GREAT for you and you really enjoy it. IF I find it to be a good show then I will enjoy it as well. I truly don't think Ruby Rose is a good actress...I think that her casting for this role was done NOT because she was the best actress that auditioned, but I think it's more due to the fact that she's a lesbian in real life. That doesn't make her the perfect choice for the role. But... I hope I'm wrong and she does well in the role.
    Doesn't look any worse than Arrow. Some things actually look better. Better costume for one.

BANNED

The show seems to have good production values. Reasonable sets and city scapes, very good lighting, decent cinematography. Not seen enough to judge the choreography.

But the acting is largely pretty horrible. The most dramatic lines are either delivered flat or over the top. Perhaps over the top isn't necessarily a bad thing for a show like this. Harley's line delivery is unconvincing as hell, there is no moment when it's ok for an actor to play making their point by wagging a finger in someone's face.

So yeah, good production values, but the acting is less than impressive.

I won't watch because every single CW show has disappointed me after at least the first season, and I see no reason to invest my time in them anymore. They've run out of chances for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    But the acting is largely pretty horrible. The most dramatic lines are either delivered flat or over the top.
    What? It's not any worse than any other show.

Harley's line delivery is unconvincing as hell, there is no moment when it's ok for an actor to play making their point by wagging a finger in someone's face.
    You mean Alice? Who is some variety of comic-style crazy? Pointing a finger in someone's face seems pretty reasonable there (and it's something people actually do in real life, so why is it suddenly unacceptable here?)

I'm going to ignore that this has into an RR (acting) bashing thread, and instead post this new clip:

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I'm going to ignore that this has into an RR (acting) bashing thread, and instead post this new clip:

I liked it. Even more curious as to why Kate was there initially, and why she came back.

One detail I hope is included is an earlier scene that shows Kate seeing the case in the original position (maybe during her very first run-in with Luke). That way, it gives the audience a chance to make the same connection she does. This comes to mind because I recently watched the opening of the Stumptown pilot, where the same kind of thing happens but doesn't play fair with the audience by cluing them in on the info Dex is getting.