Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default Examples of Superman's mischievous side

This side of Superman isn't talked about enough IMO. We all know about his other qualities. Optimistic, fatherly, compassionate, fun-loving, stern when necessary, selfless. But there's also a slightly less "kosher" aspect of his fun-loving nature that I really enjoy when it's brought out. And that's the trouble-making prankster who likes to get even every so often.

I know in the Golden Age Superman was all about bullying bullies, which is in a similar vein to what I'm talking about, though not every example fits as I'm talking about a kind of joyfulness he has in turning the tables or surprising someone with his powers.

I have a few examples that stick out but want to see what you guys offer first. Who's got some good ones?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    This side of Superman isn't talked about enough IMO. We all know about his other qualities. Optimistic, fatherly, compassionate, fun-loving, stern when necessary, selfless. But there's also a slightly less "kosher" aspect of his fun-loving nature that I really enjoy when it's brought out. And that's the trouble-making prankster who likes to get even every so often.

I know in the Golden Age Superman was all about bullying bullies, which is in a similar vein to what I'm talking about, though not every example fits as I'm talking about a kind of joyfulness he has in turning the tables or surprising someone with his powers.

I have a few examples that stick out but want to see what you guys offer first. Who's got some good ones?
    Good thread, I'm interested in this too. As well as examples of some of his weirder tastes/habits that somebody was mentioning in another thread.

Obviously there's a lot of examples throughout the Pre-Crisis era, but they get fewer and fewer from Byrne onward. One that always sticks out to me is using Heat Vision to topple Lombard from his chair when he makes a crude comment to Lois (Superman: Brainiac).

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

He bullied Kalibak pretty harshly in Coming of the Supermen

I'll probably start thinking of silver age examples but offhand, I'll always love Adventures of Superman 428. It was more intentional than for kicks, but you could see him having fun.

2011-10-18.2.jpg

I swear I've got a time he trolled Luthor on the tip of my tongue ...

The time he helped Cat in an event to get an interview by blowing up the Daily Planet's tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'll probably start thinking of silver age examples but offhand, I'll always love Adventures of Superman 428. It was more intentional than for kicks, but you could see him having fun.

2011-10-18.2.jpg
    Haha, that's awesome. Exactly what I'm talking about. The casual nonchalance as he uses his powers to intimidate is something part of him enjoys. At least I really do. And it's probably just as startling from Superman in his own way than a Batman-style rooftop dangling in Gotham is for him.

I absolutely love troll Superman.

This one's so great that Mark Waid recycled it for Superman Birthright, but he took out the humor, I think to the scene's detriment.

There's much simpler stuff though. Just look at the grin on his face after totally wrecking a wall!

And then there's the fact that he pretty much snarked non-stop back then, not unlike Spidey later on. None of it was comedy gold, but it was fun! You could tell he was enjoying himself.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Yeah it's just straight from my phone (Superman Sunday collection) and it stinks, but there he is just being really uh... super. Very crazy to hang out with.

Supergirl learned that too.

Love the scene in....I guess it must be All-Star, where he sets Steve Lombard's wig on fire, and then pours a glass of water on his head to put it out.

Troll Superman is the best.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

May this superdickery thread live long and prosper!

https://media.giphy.com/media/IL4iTvQH0MjS/giphy.gif

These are gold, keep 'em coming!

Some cinematic Super trolling:

This was actually my sig on a different board some years ago

Silver age was smug and never the underdog, so you kinda had to enjoy when they could burst his bubble.

Screenshot_2017-09-12-10-28-31-513.jpg

From Brainiac Part 1. Him watching Lombard fall while catching the donut is probably my favorite part.
    Last edited by mute90; 09-12-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    May this superdickery thread live long and prosper!

https://media.giphy.com/media/IL4iTvQH0MjS/giphy.gif
    How did I not know this was an actual thing?

http://www.superdickery.com/tag/superman-is-a-dick/

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

World’s Finest #272