Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Default Uncanny X-Men #5 Preview

Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Or...or...Nate, if you're powers, is that strong you could always change the minds of everyone on the planet.

I'm assuming a moral code is not a big thing to Nate anymore.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

lmao that's hilarious

BANNED

You know. I was on the verge of dropping this book anyway. But this just cements it:

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    It seems as if Richard Dawkins co-wrote this. It's a facile silly explanation and even anyone with a cursory understanding of history knows doesn't work. There have been several times in history where religion has been either outlawed or repressed.The Soviet Union, Cambodia under the Khemer Rouge or even the current state of North Korea.
    And I would hardly call any of those societies making things better. In fact it made them worse.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Or...or...Nate, if you're powers, is that strong you could always change the minds of everyone on the planet.

I'm assuming a moral code is not a big thing to Nate anymore.
    It's not even morals code. People do a lot of evil and wicked things not even just for the sake of it. But often out of jealousy, spite, insecurity, selfishness etc. You would have to eliminate free will to get rid of that. There's a great Yiddish parable I heard where rabbis once capture the yetzer hara, the negative impulse, and confined it in a big pot. They considered killing it, but then they noticed that throughout the kingdom, no one went to work, and even the chickens stopped laying eggs. The rabbis had to let it go.

Many of the so called evil impulses that reside inside us can be used for either good or bad.It all depends on how it's channeled. For example if I'm jealous of a co-workers promotion at work. I can either use that jealous feeling to improve myself to earn a promotion next time. Or I can use it to bad mouth them and sabotage them at every turn. Maturity or your character is a choice and something that needs to be worked on. It does not just come and no one can force you to have it.

Honestly I don't know whether or not the writers are trying to be ironic or it's just straight up lazy poor thought out writing (I can't see Claremont coming up with something this stupid). But whatever the case I'm not spending money on this anymore. Especially given the fact that most of the characters are written superficially.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    You know. I was on the verge of dropping this book anyway. But this just cements it:

It seems as if Richard Dawkins co-wrote this. It's a facile silly explanation and even anyone with a cursory understanding of history knows doesn't work. There have been several times in history where religion has been either outlawed or repressed.The Soviet Union, Cambodia under the Khemer Rouge or even the current state of North Korea.
    And I would hardly call any of those societies making things better. In fact it made them worse.

It's not even morals code. People do a lot of evil and wicked things not even just for the sake of it. But often out of jealousy, spite, insecurity, selfishness etc. You would have to eliminate free will to get rid of that. There's a great Yiddish parable I heard where rabbis once capture the yetzer hara, the negative impulse, and confined it in a big pot. They considered killing it, but then they noticed that throughout the kingdom, no one went to work, and even the chickens stopped laying eggs. The rabbis had to let it go.

Many of the so called evil impulses that reside inside us can be used for either good or bad.It all depends on how it's channeled. For example if I'm jealous of a co-workers promotion at work. I can either use that jealous feeling to improve myself to earn a promotion next time. Or I can use it to bad mouth them and sabotage them at every turn. Maturity or your character is a choice and something that needs to be worked on. It does not just come and no one can force you to have it.

Honestly I don't know whether or not the writers are trying to be ironic or it's just straight up lazy poor thought out writing (I can't see Claremont coming up with something this stupid). But whatever the case I'm not spending money on this anymore. Especially given the fact that most of the characters are written superficially.
    I don't know his current writing sucks. Maybe 1980's Claremont but his 2000 on writings have been crap where people give him a pass because of his 80's stroies.
    Last edited by greyspawn; 12-08-2018 at 12:16 PM.

I'm really tired about alternate realities. I actually hope Nate Grey gets erased. It's like they dig up the dregs of X-characters to have a crossover. No more Alternate reality warps.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post

Bear in mind the two people saying this are the ‘bad guys’ and they aren’t really shown to be ‘right.’ And judging from the future titles, ‘removing’ religion doesn’t work and the next step is removing ‘free will’ and making his own little perfect world.

Astonishing Member

wanting to rule the world is an unrealistic desire because it's a lot of work
    I think the best xmen villains are the very selfish and immoral geneticists who only care about themselves while commiting heinous crimes for their experiments, the fictional Mengeles, like Mr and Miss Sinister or Dark Beast.

Spectacular Member

Wow, if they wanted to run the bus over Nate and back up they could have just kept him in limbo. This makes no sense that he would do this.

*slow clap*
    Eliminating religious centers? Showing Mecca being unmade? Ballsy, X-Office.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    *slow clap*
    Eliminating religious centers? Showing Mecca being unmade? Ballsy, X-Office.
    Will they have the balls to erase Jerusalem on the next page?

ZOMG! Nate is erasing religion! And multiple commas from the script! Oh noes!

BANNED

I mean... Apocalypse isn't exactly WRONG, though not for the right reasons. Religion has certainly contributed to a LOT of pain, suffering, and violence over the millennia.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Will they have the balls to erase Jerusalem on the next page?
    Very true.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'