Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by greyspawn View Post
    I like the Nate Grey character a lot and for years wanted them to bring him back. The last 3 times they did this has made me wish he just had been forgoten. They borught him back by showing that he was so powerful that he could survive without a physical form and recreate a body only to be defeated by Normon Osborn's will in a arm wrestling contest. Then they brought him back for New Mutants by getting rid all of his power and then focus stories on Dani for the rest of the run. So far they bring him back to be a villian. I will still finsih the story but they better have some good reason for this because If not they should of just lefted him on the sidelines.
    Yeah Marvel let’s their usual limited scope of how to use different power levels blind them. Then you get stuff like the new mutants story. Though that is an unfinished story so it’s harder to gauge where they where trying to do. Still very dangerous to leave a character like that.

I know that I’m in the minority but I really enjoyed Nate’s shaman run. It gave him a place to really explore his powers but I can understand why it was a to sharp departure from the different tone of the 60+ issues.

I enjoy the characters who have energy based powers, preferably on the cosmic level. It’s a thankless position where the odds of the character being killed, replaced, villainised or put in limbo, is much higher then them actually having a normal story. Marvel in general seems to rather put out another street level hero. Fighting random goons and reusing the same villains.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    The problem is that they want to eliminate them. Really they should have turned public opinion against them and humiliated them into submission
    How could public opinion turn any worse for the X-Men? And how would Nate and the Horsemen of Salvation accomplish that to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I never got into "X-Man" as a character- too much forced relevance with being a Cable clone, etc. Hopefully when this storyline is done he'll pay for his crimes.
    Technically, he's a genetically identical A/U brother of Cable (mother and father are also Jean Grey and Scott Summers, whereas Cable's parents are Jean Grey's also-genetically identical clone Madelyne Pryor and Scott Summers). That said, let me take the opportunity to harp on the similarities to what was done to Ben Reilly in The Clone Conspiracy, and perhaps this will end the same way for Nate --- with forced attempts at redemption that go nowhere and ultimately leave him permanently marked as a villain.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ben Reilly is one of a very limited number of Marvel characters who can go either way morally and is kinda just greasy all over now, and that is the reason he was brought back. He has a reason to exist. If he were not made unique in some way like this, he would've stayed dead. If he came back as the same guy from the 90's, bringing him back would've been a mistake.

Nate is in a very different position. He is a conceptually ridiculous and stupid character birthed from the loins of Cable, a conceptually ridiculous and stupid character. He was then dropped into an extremely crowded franchise. Unless he goes through some kind of radical reinvention, he's not worth using. Now turning him into Jesus isn't a wrong way to do it, I'm just not very excited that he's changing because I'm also watching the rest of the franchise be dragged back to the MTV ages. I would probably care more if they spent time building up to him and this event instead of literally whatever on Earth most of this line has been doing since IvX.

Will he die? Yes, eventually someone is guaranteed to kill him because he is ridiculous and not popular. Will it happen in the near future, like after Age of N? IDK.

*Clutches Pearls* LeonardEugenius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The best X-Men villains are some of their editors.
    Yesssssss! Drag them!

Mighty Member

The best X-Men villains are some of their editors.
    Is this why we have so many reality warper villains?

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Is this why we have so many reality warper villains?
    Sinister was editor in the late 80's, Stryfe during the 90's, and Ahab since ANAD. The X-Men were only Ahab's third white whale, after Hulk and the Ultimate Universe.

Warren is back normal again nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ChibaMariners View Post
    Warren is back normal again nice.
    lmao I am going to need a good book and a flask because I am going to be spending all day under this shade tree.

Ultimate Member

Well I think that there's some preview art for later Uncanny issues and he's back to being blue with the metal wings so...who knows...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Well I think that there's some preview art for later Uncanny issues and he's back to being blue with the metal wings so...who knows...
    In Bunn's Uncanny they were two separate characters before being integrated...if Nate can do anything maybe he splits them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    How could public opinion turn any worse for the X-Men? And how would Nate and the Horsemen of Salvation accomplish that to begin with?
    I'm just saying in general. Keep in mind the X-Men were loved in San Francisco and Cyclops had humans at his Rally's even as Rightclops.

In regards to how Nate should have done that well. He should have said your leaders are ineffectual and beholden to their own interests and have someone like Namor and Nature Girl destroy that oil rig instead of Blob and Omega Red without harm to the workers. That way not only is the X-Men look terrible to the reader for opposing them but they look that way to rest of the marvel universe particularly if they're caught on camera or Nate just broadcasts what they have been doing. Much like the Phoenix's 5 and what they did.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I'm actually in the minorty that's eager to see how they bend this story line. It's kinda cool. But I will say that if they don't include Selene's Sisterhood in this arc, this is trash. Apocalypse, her veritable diametric opposition, is crippled and enslaved. Rachel Grey is confused, emotionally raw and poised to be mothered by Selene in the way she never found in Jean or Emma. Cable is Dead and His sapling is trying to hijack time, Selene can reform Clan Askani with Rachel's breeding and absorb Nathan. Religion is being reformed and Selene's whole Schtick is The All Mother (with storm) she claims to be, being the dominant ideology. Look, along the different angles of mutant supremecay at play in this arc, this is such a Selene relevant caper, exclusion of her hat in this mess is almost thoughtfully negligent.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Ben Reilly is one of a very limited number of Marvel characters who can go either way morally and is kinda just greasy all over now, and that is the reason he was brought back. He has a reason to exist. If he were not made unique in some way like this, he would've stayed dead. If he came back as the same guy from the 90's, bringing him back would've been a mistake.

Nate is in a very different position. He is a conceptually ridiculous and stupid character birthed from the loins of Cable, a conceptually ridiculous and stupid character. He was then dropped into an extremely crowded franchise. Unless he goes through some kind of radical reinvention, he's not worth using. Now turning him into Jesus isn't a wrong way to do it, I'm just not very excited that he's changing because I'm also watching the rest of the franchise be dragged back to the MTV ages. I would probably care more if they spent time building up to him and this event instead of literally whatever on Earth most of this line has been doing since IvX.

Will he die? Yes, eventually someone is guaranteed to kill him because he is ridiculous and not popular. Will it happen in the near future, like after Age of N? IDK.
    Ben in the 90s wasn't the guy who could go "either way." He was the mirror held up to Peter to ask him, at a time when he was sinking deeper into rage and depression (or generic 90s edginess and angst), "Who the hell are you and what the hell have you let yourself become?" Kaine, on the other hand, might fit that better, as he did start off as a villain and later became an anti-hero working to redeem himself, yet convinced he wasn't a hero, let alone a good person, or even a person at all, in a somewhat more extreme form of Peter's habitual self-flagellation. Ben becoming the villain of The Clone Conspiracy could've worked in the same way, as a mirror held up to Peter to show him what he could've become if he let his guilt and desperation overtake his morality, but having him as a straight-up madman ultimately wanting to kill and "reanimate" the human race? Bit beyond the pale there, I'm sorry to say. I did like the potential setup for him overcoming what the (real) Jackal did to him and eventually emerging as a hero again, if not necessarily the same kind of hero he was before, but the execution . . . left a lot to be desired, to say the least. I'm just hoping the same fate doesn't befall Nate.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    I'm just saying in general. Keep in mind the X-Men were loved in San Francisco and Cyclops had humans at his Rally's even as Rightclops.

In regards to how Nate should have done that well. He should have said your leaders are ineffectual and beholden to their own interests and have someone like Namor and Nature Girl destroy that oil rig instead of Blob and Omega Red without harm to the workers. That way not only is the X-Men look terrible to the reader for opposing them but they look that way to the rest of the marvel universe particularly if they're caught on camera or Nate just broadcasts what they have been doing. Much like the Phoenix's 5 and what they did.
    That makes sense, I'll admit, and he might even have a point there.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    I'm actually in the minorty that's eager to see how they bend this story line. It's kinda cool. But I will say that if they don't include Selene's Sisterhood in this arc, this is trash. Apocalypse, her veritable diametric opposition, is crippled and enslaved. Rachel Grey is confused, emotionally raw and poised to be mothered by Selene in the way she never found in Jean or Emma. Cable is Dead and His sapling is trying to hijack time, Selene can reform Clan Askani with Rachel's breeding and absorb Nathan. Religion is being reformed and Selene's whole Schtick is The All Mother (with storm) she claims to be, being the dominant ideology. Look, along the different angles of mutant supremecay at play in this arc, this is such a Selene relevant caper, exclusion of her hat in this mess is almost thoughtfully negligent.
    Selene is probably too busy messing with Captain America at this particular moment, though you're right in that she should be stepping back into the mix as a force to be reckoned with.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    I'm all for a mutant god war. Selene vs. Apocalypse vs. every X-Men who has ever been worshipped as a god, goddess, or other variations of higher beings. It's at least different from the current stuff.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I'm all for a mutant god war. Selene vs. Apocalypse vs. every X-Men who has ever been worshipped as a god, goddess, or other variations of higher beings. It's at least different from the current stuff.
    It'd be like The Twelve but with mutant gods trying to establish a polytheistic pantheon among themselves..