Astonishing Member ladyofthelake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Maybe I'm in a minority here, but I think Cyclops looks better with a beard. I think the look he had at the end of X-men 92 was nice and rugged. I even remember a period in Uncanny X-men where he always seemed to have a 5 o'clock shadow. I thought that was a good look for him. I know he's supposed to be more clean shaven than most, but I think having a more rugged look is good for him.
    When done right he looks very sexy!!! :0

Not sure how I feel about this:
    RCO006_1494427943.jpg

And are they going out of their way to say that Cyclops was wrong? Or am I just looking too much into this?
    RCO017_1494427943.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Not sure how I feel about this:
    RCO006_1494427943.jpg

And are they going out of their way to say that Cyclops was wrong? Or am I just looking too much into this?
    RCO017_1494427943.jpg
    Ah there it is. For every good comic, there's always an aspect that prevents me from buying or reading.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Ah there it is. For every good comic, there's always an aspect that prevents me from buying or reading.
    Good thing that im not reading that book for the X-men.

BANNED

Best thing about the issue is seeing Emma get punched out by at least ONE redhead

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    RCO017_1494427943.jpg
    Yep, their totally saying that he was wrong. *Sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by ladyofthelake View Post
    Compare this to all the times that Cap had socked Cyclops during AvX. Like, c'mon Bendis, you're trying to pit two legendary leaders against each other. Cyclops is going to do more than just blast away. He's not going to stand still and wait for Cap to push his way through a steady stream of optic blasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Compare this to all the times that Cap had socked Cyclops during AvX. Like, c'mon Bendis, you're trying to pit two legendary leaders against each other. Cyclops is going to do more than just blast away. He's not going to stand still and wait for Cap to push his way through a steady stream of optic blasts.
    Also, when optic blasts hit the Blob, it shouldn't deflect, right? Because that's exactly what happened in today's issue of RYV.

So with most of the original x-men dead I'm starting to wonder if Marvel is ever planning to bring any of them back. I'm interested to see where tyke goes but in the current meta I don't think he'll ever be my Cyclops. Considering how long Jean's been dead I'm starting to think this is a wholesale changing of the guard. What are the predictions? Will they ever bring him back or has the page been turned for good? Even if he was brought back, and there's some interesting theories percolating on that, does he fit anywhere within the current x-men?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Ahh, you forget that Cap's shield is magic and all attacks are to it rather than to something effective. Why else would someone who could have got most the Avengers off his beach(lawn) without straining, or kneecapped Cap if he was feeling nice, chose to focus his shot on the middle of the damned shield and keep shooting it?

Astonishing Member ladyofthelake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    So with most of the original x-men dead I'm starting to wonder if Marvel is ever planning to bring any of them back. I'm interested to see where tyke goes but in the current meta I don't think he'll ever be my Cyclops. Considering how long Jean's been dead I'm starting to think this is a wholesale changing of the guard. What are the predictions? Will they ever bring him back or has the page been turned for good? Even if he was brought back, and there's some interesting theories percolating on that, does he fit anywhere within the current x-men?
    Sigh, this is rather complicated. It has to do with a bunch of stuff, among it is that Marvel comics, with the direction of Disney, wants to change its brand. It also has to do with financial projections, marketing, audience sampling but mainly with demographics. The last one is the one that is really screwing us over, because for some reason Marvel is trying to hit the lowest common denominator, meaning the most age, race, gender, etc groups as possible. When you put anything forth, you usual target a specific demographic. Commercials, everything in the media, sales they target groups of people based on several things. Won't get into too much detail but sufficient to say when someone wants to get the most groups, age/race/gender/etc at the same time it's called going for the lowest common denominator. The most people want what you put it, supposedly the more money you get.

Blockbusters are great examples of this phenomenon. They try to get as many people to come watch the film to make the most mula, which is why they are called blockbusters. They are made to appeal to a large number of people from all walks of life, which is why they normally have no real essence, purpose or plot. The scripts are terrible, aka, dialogue, ugh, and you can tell that right off the bat in the previews. If you want to rip your ears out at the stupidity the actors are sprouting, it's not going to get better in the actual movie, only worse. Previews/trailers are made to draw you in so they usually put what they consider good bits in them. But only that, the acting is usually bad and/or the plot is so bizarre or just plain dumb that you keep thinking a toddler could do a better job.

Not all of them, mind you, but they are made to entertain and get people to watch, with ridiculous/moronic attempts at humor, even if just once, so they tend to spend most of their money on special effect and not too much on anything else. It usually works in that most of them do break the billion dollar mark, and only if they can make into China which is why you see so many Chinese things/locations/actors/pro-China popping up in movies since China has a limit to how many movies they will allow to enter their country and China is a goldmine when it comes to movies.

So what the heck does any of this have to do with your comment. You made a very interesting point about the "changing of the guard" so to speak. And in a way, that is exactly what is happening. It may had started as part of the cold war between Disney and Fox over the X-Men/Fantastic Four rights which started way back after X1 when Marvel/Disney created the series Mutant X and Fox sued them over it. But even that it wasn't until a few years back that Disney/Marvel did a massive signaling of their intent by shoving social politics into their books.

They focused more on younger, female, "other" characters to the point that every single book got affected. Steve Rogers being replaced by Sam Wilson, a younger, female version of Iron Man, a female Thor, the kids taking over a lot of the issues, the baby O5. I could go on and on but you get my point. They wanted to appeal to more people and thus, in theory, based on all the "research" they were doing, would bring them more readership and more money. Of course we know how that is going down.

That they are now "baffled" why their play didn't work really makes me wonder about the credentials of the guys they keep putting in charge. They clearly need to clean house if they want to save their brand, and I don't mean just Marvel. Already ESPN is laying off people like its going out of style so I hope that they get smart and revamp their brand because frankly, they are going down and going down hard.

As for Scott, if they did bring him back I would love for him to just take off and do a special ops team of his own. Search and rescue and start his own sanctuary or just rescue mutants and their families and drop them off somewhere safe. That is how I would see him. Be mysterious, have a jacket with a hood. That would be my ideal situation for him. Leave the X-Men behind but never stop fighting for mutants. That's how I thought Uncanny X-Men under Bendis would go but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyofthelake View Post
    Sigh, this is rather complicated. It has to do with a bunch of stuff, among it is that Marvel comics, with the direction of Disney, wants to change its brand. It also has to do with financial projections, marketing, audience sampling but mainly with demographics. The last one is the one that is really screwing us over, because for some reason Marvel is trying to hit the lowest common denominator, meaning the most age, race, gender, etc groups as possible. When you put anything forth, you usual target a specific demographic. Commercials, everything in the media, sales they target groups of people based on several things. Won't get into too much detail but sufficient to say when someone wants to get the most groups, age/race/gender/etc at the same time it's called going for the lowest common denominator. The most people want what you put it, supposedly the more money you get.

Blockbusters are great examples of this phenomenon. They try to get as many people to come watch the film to make the most mula, which is why they are called blockbusters. They are made to appeal to a large number of people from all walks of life, which is why they normally have no real essence, purpose or plot. The scripts are terrible, aka, dialogue, ugh, and you can tell that right off the bat in the previews. If you want to rip your ears out at the stupidity the actors are sprouting, it's not going to get better in the actual movie, only worse. Previews/trailers are made to draw you in so they usually put what they consider good bits in them. But only that, the acting is usually bad and/or the plot is so bizarre or just plain dumb that you keep thinking a toddler could do a better job.

Not all of them, mind you, but they are made to entertain and get people to watch, with ridiculous/moronic attempts at humor, even if just once, so they tend to spend most of their money on special effect and not too much on anything else. It usually works in that most of them do break the billion dollar mark, and only if they can make into China which is why you see so many Chinese things/locations/actors/pro-China popping up in movies since China has a limit to how many movies they will allow to enter their country and China is a goldmine when it comes to movies.

So what the heck does any of this have to do with your comment. You made a very interesting point about the "changing of the guard" so to speak. And in a way, that is exactly what is happening. It may had started as part of the cold war between Disney and Fox over the X-Men/Fantastic Four rights which started way back after X1 when Marvel/Disney created the series Mutant X and Fox sued them over it. But even that it wasn't until a few years back that Disney/Marvel did a massive signaling of their intent by shoving social politics into their books.

They focused more on younger, female, "other" characters to the point that every single book got affected. Steve Rogers being replaced by Sam Wilson, a younger, female version of Iron Man, a female Thor, the kids taking over a lot of the issues, the baby O5. I could go on and on but you get my point. They wanted to appeal to more people and thus, in theory, based on all the "research" they were doing, would bring them more readership and more money. Of course we know how that is going down.

That they are now "baffled" why their play didn't work really makes me wonder about the credentials of the guys they keep putting in charge. They clearly need to clean house if they want to save their brand, and I don't mean just Marvel. Already ESPN is laying off people like its going out of style so I hope that they get smart and revamp their brand because frankly, they are going down and going down hard.

As for Scott, if they did bring him back I would love for him to just take off and do a special ops team of his own. Search and rescue and start his own sanctuary or just rescue mutants and their families and drop them off somewhere safe. That is how I would see him. Be mysterious, have a jacket with a hood. That would be my ideal situation for him. Leave the X-Men behind but never stop fighting for mutants. That's how I thought Uncanny X-Men under Bendis would go but I guess not.
    You've certainly crawled down the rabbit hole here LOTL. I appreciate your ability to connect the dots. So perhaps the "changing of the guard" is real. Where does that leave us? Probably not a good place. Let's change that.

I'm thinking an Emma and Scott solo would be amazing right now. Not so much a romance book certainly but more a chance for these two lost souls to find a reason for being heroes again... together. Why not find a way to redeem these two now. This is "resurrixon" after all.

If I can't have this (and I know likely I can't) I'll take brooding, hooded, wandering Cyclops over another 12 years in the desert.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    You've certainly crawled down the rabbit hole here LOTL. I appreciate your ability to connect the dots. So perhaps the "changing of the guard" is real. Where does that leave us? Probably not a good place. Let's change that.

I'm thinking an Emma and Scott solo would be amazing right now. Not so much a romance book certainly but more a chance for these two lost souls to find a reason for being heroes again... together. Why not find a way to redeem these two now. This is "resurrixon" after all.

If I can't have this (and I know likely I can't) I'll take brooding, hooded, wandering Cyclops over another 12 years in the desert.
    I still feel that a "Summers" family book in the vein of Bunn's Sinestro run would be series that would significantly boost Marvel's standards-- with Scott and Rachel taking the place of Sinestro and Soranik, respectively. But alas...!
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie