Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    That will be quite a change if it's true. Wait that can't be blue... Storm and Rachel don't look right. Maybe a flashback or AU?
    Not sure.. I'm not reading Blue or Gold so I can't say. He just looks... more competent there.. than I've seen him in a while. Probably since Immonen drew him in ANXM.

Yeah I don't know about Champions. Tyke definitely has far better characterization in it, but it seems to lack any real stakes. Like we all know that the heroes will win in the end in basically every superhero comic, but in Champions it never even feels like they might possibly lose or that they are up against anything particularly difficult. Not to mention that it seems strongly focused on it's "message" rather than story, and regardless of ones political affiliation and opinion on the message itself, it doesn't really have enough depth to warrant so strong a focus.

BANNED

That will be quite a change if it's true. Wait that can't be blue... Storm and Rachel don't look right. Maybe a flashback or AU?
    Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Not sure.. I'm not reading Blue or Gold so I can't say. He just looks... more competent there.. than I've seen him in a while. Probably since Immonen drew him in ANXM.
    that's the first X-Men crossover, "Mojo Worldwide".

"Bunn admits. "We have the chance to pull from every major event and draw upon every major villain. If you have a favorite X-Men story or a favorite enemy, there's a good chance you'll get to revisit them in this story.

"But we have to pick and choose which scenes and characters get in-depth treatment and which get only quick drive-bys. There are a few natural choices, of course. "Days of Future Past." "The Asgardian Wars." There's a scene early on where we see Mojo spin a wheel covering every important event in the lives of the X-Men! There are a couple, though, that I'm excited about. Magneto comes out to play in this story, and he finds himself right in the middle of an X-event that he should have been involved in when it first occurred. His reaction might be a little surprising for readers.

"Mojo Worldwide" kicks off in X-Men Blue #13 and continues in X-Men Gold #13."

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/07/...e-cullen-bunn/

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet View Post
    Yeah I don't know about Champions. Tyke definitely has far better characterization in it, but it seems to lack any real stakes. Like we all know that the heroes will win in the end in basically every superhero comic, but in Champions it never even feels like they might possibly lose or that they are up against anything particularly difficult. Not to mention that it seems strongly focused on it's "message" rather than story, and regardless of ones political affiliation and opinion on the message itself, it doesn't really have enough depth to warrant so strong a focus.
    I enjoyed the issue, but it was certainly a light-hearted affair. Of course, after the constant extinction threats we had been going through, light stuff is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    that's the first X-Men crossover, "Mojo Worldwide".

"Bunn admits. "We have the chance to pull from every major event and draw upon every major villain. If you have a favorite X-Men story or a favorite enemy, there's a good chance you'll get to revisit them in this story.

"But we have to pick and choose which scenes and characters get in-depth treatment and which get only quick drive-bys. There are a few natural choices, of course. "Days of Future Past." "The Asgardian Wars." There's a scene early on where we see Mojo spin a wheel covering every important event in the lives of the X-Men! There are a couple, though, that I'm excited about. Magneto comes out to play in this story, and he finds himself right in the middle of an X-event that he should have been involved in when it first occurred. His reaction might be a little surprising for readers.

"Mojo Worldwide" kicks off in X-Men Blue #13 and continues in X-Men Gold #13."

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/07/...e-cullen-bunn/
    Hmm..

Maybe I'll check this out. Iceman is the only x-book I'm reading right now... kinda miss the team aspect of things right about now.

Im digging the visor here. Though i guess those are more goggles. Still, i like um.

BANNED

"Marvel Is Breathing New Life, & A New Purpose Into the Phoenix"

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-legacy-res...e-jean-grey/3/

In storylines like the classic Dark Phoenix Saga and the much more recent event Avengers vs. X-Men, the Phoenix was a danger to all, the ultimate force of annihilation in the universe. But in the recent pages of The Mighty Thor #19, the fifth and final chapter of the “Asgard/Shi’ar War” storyline, we were reminded that as one of the Shi’ar Empire’s gods, the Phoenix is believed to be a remnant of the fire of creation; it is not just a bringer of death, but of life as well.
    Oh really? Scott said that The Phoenix is not a force of good or evil, it is a force of life. He knew enough about the Phoenix to know that it was coming to restart the mutant gene, because after all, "the Phoenix is a remnant of the fire of creation; it is not just a bringer of death, but of life as well". And what did the "good Avengers" do? They destroyed everything, including Cyclops.

Although we do not yet know under which circumstances these seven heroes will unite, it’s a safe bet that it will be against a common foe, but the inclusion of the Phoenix on the roster is particularly noteworthy. Once again, this points to the fact that the Phoenix can be a force for good. Whatever threat these Avengers will face, it is one that even she will fight. If she so chooses to side with these superheroes, it must be because she fights on the side of good, of life.
    So if the Phoenix chooses to side with the Avengers, it must be because she fights on the side of good, of life. But, if it chooses to side with the X-Men, it must be because she fights on the side of evil? Okaaaaayyyy

The Phoenix is equal parts destruction and creation. It can protect life, that it can fall in love, and that it can take part in a union that could save the Earth. Starting in Generations and heading into Marvel Legacy, it seems that there is a renewed focus on bringing the Phoenix back to the other half of what it was supposed to be. As we head into this new era of Marvel Comics, we could be looking at a whole new Phoenix, reborn from its ashes into something else. Something, ultimately, good.
    Sad that CBR and Marvel will never recognize it, but again it's clear that Cyclops was right.

AvX was too long ago.. no body should remember that. Thinks Marvel.

What a joke.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet View Post
    Honestly given how modern day comics are today, a bit of light heartiness is needed in today's world. Not every comic needs to be all action pack you know.

Plus Given what Teen Cyclops has been through this is a refreshing change of pace for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I enjoyed the issue, but it was certainly a light-hearted affair. Of course, after the constant extinction threats we had been going through, light stuff is welcome.
    That's true enough, but I'm more talking about the series as a whole. As far as the whole series being light hearted see below.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Honestly given how modern day comics are today, a bit of light heartiness is needed in today's world. Not every comic needs to be all action pack you know.

Plus Given what Teen Cyclops has been through this is a refreshing change of pace for the better.
    Honestly I wouldn't mind the comic being consistently more light-hearted if it was more tightly "controlled" if that makes sense. Hawkeye, having helped start the recent trend of light-hearted comics, still felt cohesive and well executed while Champions seems more haphazardly thrown together. Part of it might be due to my intense dislike of Ramos' art (in fact his style in general likely ads to the frenetic feeling of the book), but the comic often seems chaotic; bouncing back and forth from moment to moment. It'd probably most accurate to say that my main issue comes down to pacing. It's not something I find myself saying often, but this book could actually do with being more decompressed lol

"Marvel Is Breathing New Life, & A New Purpose Into the Phoenix"
    So if the Phoenix chooses to side with the Avengers, it must be because she fights on the side of good, of life. But, if it chooses to side with the X-Men, it must be because she fights on the side of evil? Okaaaaayyyy
    I can't say I'm too impressed that the Pheonix is being co-opted by the Avengers in such a fundamental way. I mean really given the art this looks more like Jean than the Pheonix. Marvel is just raiding the X-Men toy chest willy nilly at this point. If I gave a crap about the Avengers I would probably feel different, but I don't.

Champions was an interesting read but not enough to pull me in. This team has absolutely zero inter-party conflict. Every seems to agree about everything all the time. There's basically no drama what so ever.

I do not think that's so bad actually it's even a part I enjoy in the story.

Let's compare with Blue for example Beast three times lost control of his magic and his friends realized how dangerous it was but they did nothing and now their life is in danger again since they preferred to ignore the situation, Iceman is having problems in his relationship with Romeo but no one tried to comfort him or raise his morale, Jean in his solo is in trouble with Phoenix but this is not even covered in Blue and Cyclops continues to have problems involving its older version and is afraid of the future.

In Champions his friends felt what he needed at that moment and gave it to him.

Should not friends help friends? Would not that be the normal thing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post

Let's compare with Blue for example Beast three times lost control of his magic and his friends realized how dangerous it was but they did nothing and now their life is in danger again since they preferred to ignore the situation, Iceman is having problems in his relationship with Romeo but no one tried to comfort him or raise his morale, Jean in his solo is in trouble with Phoenix but this is not even covered in Blue and Cyclops continues to have problems involving its older version and is afraid of the future.

Yeah, I agree. Drama is all good and all, but sometimes it's good to see a team that doesn't have any conflict. There was that in early issues between Tyke and Chulk, but I'm glad Waid didn't overdo it.

The "We're on the same team and we're rivals. But we also respect each other" can get really tiresome.
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 09-07-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post

Generally I agree with you. It's when this happens all the time that I lose interest. I require some conflict to make the characters seem like more than cardboard cutouts. Every good team book I've read does have characters that will reach out to support each other, but those same characters can often end up hurting each other as well. That duality is the nature of human interaction, and if well written, can transform the comic medium from parody to portrait.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Im digging the visor here. Though i guess those are more goggles. Still, i like um.
    It's cool that he clearly has two eyes, with these goggles. I'm a little over the literal 'cyclops' one-eyeslot-visor look.

Heck, I'd be fine with him learning to control his powers / getting cured / getting a truckload of therapy and only keeping goggles or a visor as a backup, for if he loses said control (since it seems like the specter of that would always hang heavy over him, even if he spent years not needing them), and otherwise running around with his eyes uncovered.