So I been reading old comics all weeken, came across something, Scott and jean just how long have they been marry? I think about 14 years and together almost 20, this is counting the adventures of cyke and p

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I'm really curious to read what they say.

Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I can barely read those. Especially in the second image.
    Ok, my next mission in my life will be to have some time to take some photoshop lessons. I could not improve the resolution of the interview, but I transcribed it.
    042a.jpg
    042b.jpg

THE X-MEN COMPANION
    SANDERSON: Will he be staying with her on Muir Isle?
    CLAREMONT: They can commute. The point is that he is at a stage in his life now where the rewards of being a swashbuckler and being a hero are not commensurate with the sacrifice that is home and family. I mean, even Captain Blood settled down and married Arabella Bishop at the end of the story. It’s a stage that au the super-heroes will have to go through eventually.
    It’s a stage that Dave and I planned that Scoff and Jean would go through. We wanted to try with them to see if we could violate the old dictum that as soon as characters are married the Interest goes out o their life. John would point to Rhoda as an example of that: it was an interesting series until she married Joe and then it went down the tubes. It depends on how you treat it, I think. Why should Reed and Sue be one of the two marriages in the Marvel Universe and the only one with kids?
    My grand plan was that Scott and Jean would get married in the 1981 Annual and for the 20th anniversary issue in ‘83, they vou1d have a child, and Scott would have to deal with the fact that his job is to lead the X-Men and he wants to raise the kid and Jean would be dealing with the fact that she loves this child but she loves working, fighting by Scott’s side. So Mariko, perhaps, ends up taking care of the child, or Kitty—and Kitty would get pissed, because she doesn’t want to be a babysitter all her life. I wanted to show the evolution, the ages of man, so to speak.

Fantastic Member

008a.jpg
    008b.jpg

The comics industry got something of a shock a few months ago when it was announced that Chris Claremont. Writer of THE UNCANNY XMEN for more than 15 years. Would no longer script that title or It´s top-selling new sister series. X-MEN. Speculation raged on who would replace him. It was answered very quickly — and as you no doubt know by now, the new scripter (working from artist Jim Lee´s plots) is a name not unfamiliar to X-fans: John Byrne...

PATRICK DANIEL O’NEILL: I guess everybody´s first question upon hearing that John Byrne will be writing the X-MEN is — how does it feel to return to this set of characters after something like a decade?
    JOHN BYRNE: Eleven years. It feels a lot like coming home, which is very strange — not at all the reaction I would have expected. It took about a week for it to start feeling like that, actually. My first reaction was more ... prosaic; more along the lines of “Oh, another job, another assignment.” Then, slowly, over the space of a week. I began to think, “This is a big deal. This is a big deal for the fan community: this is a big deal for the comics industry,” and, eventually. This is a big deal for me!
    It is a big deal for me. It interesting to sit down and look at these guys and see how far they’ve come and how much they’ve changed since the point I left having anything to do with them. And, of course, to measure how last it will be and how long it will be before I can get them back to where they were when I left them! That may take a while.

PAT: Give me John Byrne´s take on who these people are — as much as you can at this point.
    JOHN: If I remember correctly. . Gee. I don’t even remember which book has which team now —

PAT: That´s OK; just name the character and we´ll go from there.
    JOHN: All right. Cyclops: Who is Mr. X-Men to me, always will be. He was my favorite character when I was 14 or 15 years old, reading the book: he was my favorite character when I was drawing the book — yes, boys and girls, not Wolverine, but Cyclops. He is the lynchpin around which the whole concept rotates
    Then there´s Jean Grey, who doesn’t seem to be calling herself Marvel Girl these days.

Quote Originally Posted by v_jeovanne View Post
    Ok, my next mission in my life will be to have some time to take some photoshop lessons. I could not improve the resolution of the interview, but I transcribed it.
    042a.jpg
    042b.jpg

THE X-MEN COMPANION
    CLAREMONT: They can commute. The point is that he is at a stage in his life now where the rewards of being a swashbuckler and being a hero are not commensurate with the sacrifice that is home and family. I mean, even Captain Blood settled down and married Arabella Bishop at the end of the story. It’s a stage that au the super-heroes will have to go through eventually.
    It’s a stage that Dave and I planned that Scoff and Jean would go through. We wanted to try with them to see if we could violate the old dictum that as soon as characters are married the Interest goes out o their life. John would point to Rhoda as an example of that: it was an interesting series until she married Joe and then it went down the tubes. It depends on how you treat it, I think. Why should Reed and Sue be one of the two marriages in the Marvel Universe and the only one with kids?
    My grand plan was that Scott and Jean would get married in the 1981 Annual and for the 20th anniversary issue in ‘83, they vou1d have a child, and Scott would have to deal with the fact that his job is to lead the X-Men and he wants to raise the kid and Jean would be dealing with the fact that she loves this child but she loves working, fighting by Scott’s side. So Mariko, perhaps, ends up taking care of the child, or Kitty—and Kitty would get pissed, because she doesn’t want to be a babysitter all her life. I wanted to show the evolution, the ages of man, so to speak.

I would have love this so bad...

BANNED

JOHN: All right. Cyclops: Who is Mr. X-Men to me, always will be. He was my favorite character when I was 14 or 15 years old, reading the book: he was my favorite character when I was drawing the book — yes, boys and girls, not Wolverine, but Cyclops. He is the lynchpin around which the whole concept rotates
    Then there´s Jean Grey, who doesn’t seem to be calling herself Marvel Girl these days.[/U]

Yes! "Cyclops: Who is Mr. X-Men to me, always will be... He is the lynchpin around which the whole concept rotates."

Last edited by CuteClops; 10-31-2017 at 05:14 AM.

He is the lynchpin around which the whole concept rotates
    That's a good one

There certainly felt like there were times when one could argue Cyclops was the protagonist of the X-Men.

042a.jpg
    042b.jpg

THE X-MEN COMPANION

008a.jpg
    008b.jpg

The comics industry got something of a shock a few months ago when it was announced that Chris Claremont. Writer of THE UNCANNY XMEN for more than 15 years. Would no longer script that title or It´s top-selling new sister series. X-MEN. Speculation raged on who would replace him. It was answered very quickly — and as you no doubt know by now, the new scripter (working from artist Jim Lee´s plots) is a name not unfamiliar to X-fans: John Byrne...

PATRICK DANIEL O’NEILL: I guess everybody´s first question upon hearing that John Byrne will be writing the X-MEN is — how does it feel to return to this set of characters after something like a decade?
    JOHN BYRNE: Eleven years. It feels a lot like coming home, which is very strange — not at all the reaction I would have expected. It took about a week for it to start feeling like that, actually. My first reaction was more ... prosaic; more along the lines of “Oh, another job, another assignment.” Then, slowly, over the space of a week. I began to think, “This is a big deal. This is a big deal for the fan community: this is a big deal for the comics industry,” and, eventually. This is a big deal for me!
    It is a big deal for me. It interesting to sit down and look at these guys and see how far they’ve come and how much they’ve changed since the point I left having anything to do with them. And, of course, to measure how last it will be and how long it will be before I can get them back to where they were when I left them! That may take a while.

PAT: Give me John Byrne´s take on who these people are — as much as you can at this point.
    JOHN: If I remember correctly. . Gee. I don’t even remember which book has which team now —

Then there´s Jean Grey, who doesn’t seem to be calling herself Marvel Girl these days.
    Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Peace

What a shame that Claremont seemingly allowed editorial meddling to ruin a character for him.

They planned Scott and Jean to be absent/bad/workaholic parents? Really? I guess Nathan and Rachel missed nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    What a shame that Claremont seemingly allowed editorial meddling to ruin a character for him.
    This. Claremont's anger is 100% justified, but aimed at the wrong target entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    This. Claremont's anger is 100% justified, but aimed at the wrong target entirely.
    Imagine the stories we could've had if Claremont had directed his anger at more appropriate targets.

Even though he's not coming back, does anyone else want adult Cyclops involved in Jean's return? Maybe he appears in the afterlife and/or we get a flashback sequence of her interacting with him after her own death

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Even though he's not coming back, does anyone else want adult Cyclops involved in Jean's return? Maybe he appears in the afterlife and/or we get a flashback sequence of her interacting with him after her own death
    Well it's not a surprise but yes, i want it. I'm pretty sure it will not happened (well probably some flashbacks but not afterlife thing).

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    yeah, i want adult cyclops there in a memory or vision, something that shows him in a good light