And this is why ages in comics should be vague.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    Jean was in college when she was recruited in Extraordinary. as in, had just begun college when Storm shows up to tell her the mists are making mutants sterile and no more mutants will be born.
    Cyclops is to cool for college, plus he's the honey badger, he does what he pleases, even aging... Plus he seems to be as old as his champions pals... If anything he's been de aged, not that I mind... If it were for marvel all it's characters would be 15 years old for the teen appeal, except the love interests of female heroines that should be older like the guy from divergent (if they want the YA audience)

OMG!!!
    Cyclops is awesome man.
    Loved he's shades in Xmen AOA.
    Too bad Ray Bans don't make them.

a2c9da86534910d18ed490e64de7b559.jpg

BANNED

Jean was in college when she was recruited in Extraordinary. as in, had just begun college when Storm shows up to tell her the mists are making mutants sterile and no more mutants will be born.
    Which makes sense since there was two time skips of 8 months
    8 months that got us into Secret Wars
    Plus 8 months after that until ANAD. So that's one year and 4 months. If they were brought to the present in the year Scott, Jean and Warren would be 16, they most likely would have 18. I'm not sure how americans deal with this, but here most of us finish high school at 17~18 and go into college/university next year.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Which makes sense since there was two time skips of 8 months
    8 months that got us into Secret Wars
    Plus 8 months after that until ANAD. So that's one year and 4 months. If they were brought to the present in the year Scott, Jean and Warren would be 16, they most likely would have 18. I'm not sure how americans deal with this, but here most of us finish high school at 17~18 and go into college/university next year.
    Nope. In the 1st issue of X-Men, Iceman has 16yo and he was know to be the younger one. Jean,Scott and Warren were 17/18 if I'm not wrong and Hank was 19. Plus in the early early issues of X-Men there was a little time skip of one year. I mean just the moment Beast came get them in the present, Xavier was believed dead and it was Scott who was running his business, he was more likely a young adult at that time.

Plus Scott and Laura almost started their relationship and Warren and her had a thing and she is like in the early/mid 20.

And of course the fact that their was a time skip of 8 month.

Technically Scott, Jean and Warren should be around the 20 yo. But since the writers/artists keep writing/drawing them as teenagers, it don't help.
    Favorite characters:
    5 DC- Roy Harper, Donna Troy, Helena Bertinelli, Dinah Laurel Lance and Big Barda
    5 Marvel- Jean Grey, Richard Rider, Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton and Angelica Jones

Pull List:
    X-Men Red, X-Men Blue, Old Man Hawkeye, Marvel Two-in-One, Aquaman, Mister Miracle, Mera Queen of Atlantis, The Terrifics and some more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dethi View Post
    Nope. In the 1st issue of X-Men, Iceman has 16yo and he was know to be the younger one. Jean,Scott and Warren were 17/18 if I'm not wrong and Hank was 19. Plus in the early early issues of X-Men there was a little time skip of one year. I mean just the moment Beast came get them in the present, Xavier was believed dead and it was Scott who was running his business, he was more likely a young adult at that time.

Plus Scott and Laura almost started their relationship and Warren and her had a thing and she is like in the early/mid 20.

Technically Scott, Jean and Warren should be around the 20 yo. But since the writers/artists keep writing/drawing them as teenagers, it don't help.
    Yeah, I completely forgot about that time skip right in the beginning of the books, thanks for reminding me. So it does make sense that Scott, Jean and Warren are in their 20 or 19. Maybe 21, if we consider 3 months pass in Red before the whole team is assembled as of the first scene of the book. And there's also the 2 months since Jean decided to work with Magneto.

The timescale is really annoying sometimes.

Mighty Member

the first time was in the dark Phoenix Saga, Emma was in coma for half year
    What I had in mind is the number of times Jean has kicked Emma's ass specifically for fooling around with Scott. The only occasion of that I recall happening was when Jean caught Emma with Scott during Morrison's run.

DPS was a couple of decades before all that.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dethi View Post

Character ages are a moving target due to the Sliding Timeline and the "illusion of change" convention.

According to Stan's original X-Men character sketches, Scott was 19 as of X-Men vol. 1 #1. That'd make him a few years older than Peter Parker but in the same general age bracket.

A question.Why do people spend more time trying to ruin or deconstruct Cyke than any other character I have ever see? He has made some mistakes and he has issues, but a lot of other heroes do as well.It's like whenever we mention something good Scott did, like he scarificed himself for Nate who he barely knew, haters will be like "he wasn't their for Maddie and left baby Nathan" or "he formed X-force, put somebody else in charge", completely forgetting that he assembled Utopia etc.
    Last edited by Cyke is Slim; 04-17-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Fantastic Member

It seems Scott will be in Cable #159.

CABLE #159
    LONNIE NADLER & ZAC THOMPSON (W)
    GERMAN PERALTA(A)
    Cover by DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON
    Variant Cover by Jay Anacleto
    “PAST FEARS” PART 5: BACK TO CABLE’S
    CHILDHOOD WITH REDD AND SLYM!
    • Young CABLE faces his biggest fear: his own Techno-Organic virus!
    • Guest-starring CYCLOPS & PHOENIX!
    • Cable’s dark secret is finally revealed!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke is Slim View Post
    A question.Why do people spend more time trying to ruin or deconstruct Cyke than any other character I have ever see? He has made some mistakes and he has issues, but a lot of other heroes do as well.It's like whenever we mention something good Scott did, like he scarificed himself for Nate who he barely knew, haters will be like "he wasn't their for Maddie and left baby Nathan" or "he formed X-force, put somebody else in charge", completely forgetting that he assembled Utopia etc.
    Since you seem to be talking about posters here, and not writers who've deconstructed Cyke:

Many of the people you identify as "haters" are actually jilted Cyclops fans. They were fans of the character until Marvel had him do bad/stupid things that, to those fans, were both deeply out of character and detrimental to his character. Thus, he is no longer the character they liked, cared about, and perhaps identified with, and they're pissed off about it. There are still Bronze Age fans that are angry that Scott left Madelyne. There are 80s-90s fans like me that are still pissed he cheated on Jean with Emma. I expect if/when Marvel resurrects Scott and sends him in a new direction, there will be plenty of Extinction-era fans who will be pissed they're not getting RightClops back. And, so it goes...

If you want the taproot of the divide, it's that Cyclops fans broadly fall into two opposing camps: those of us who prefer him as a hero in the same general vein as Captain America (i.e. "BoyScott") and those who prefer him as anti-hero more in the vein of Daredevil (i.e. "RightClops"). It boils down to which type of character you think Scott is supposed to be, and, because one side getting their way precludes the other getting their way, the two sides are never really going to agree.

At this point, given Scott's history, controversy and a divided fanbase is just part and parcel of the character.

BANNED

I think there's a bunch of wannabe cyclops fans that never truly understood cyclops in the first place, and just saw him superficially as some sort of perfect goody two shoes boy scout that's supossed to be a foil for "more cool" characters like wolverine or gambit. They always saw cyclops as a bastion or morality instead of a flawed man trying his best to overcome his weakness and be a better man every day, probably most of those fans call out on cyclops for ditching maddie or cheating on Jean but never read original X factor or admit that Jean cheated too, so they lay the blame of everything on cyclops and want him to be some sort of perfect role model for children that rescues cats from trees and speaks about truth and justice (I love superman BTW, those that call him boy scout know jackshit about him)... For them Cyclops is ruined because he failed to live to an unrealistic standard of heroism and morals. They're probably wolverine or gambit fans that never liked the fact that cyclops became cool and edgy even tough cyclops was all of that in a different way.

Real cyclops fans shouldn't be divided between "boy scout" cyclops and rightclops but at least try to understand the circumstances of cyclops evolution and decisions instead of bashing him for not being perfect (even tough he never was), and not like both versions but at least understand his evolution and of course, don't offer a retcon of all cyclops evolution as an alternative because if they knew cyclops better they'd understand that Cyclops isn't a coward that runs from his actions, hides behind retcons or shift the blame, but accepts heads on the consequences of his acts and wrongs.

One can like all versions of cyke, some more than the other but ultimately cyclops has a very rich history and it'd be a waste to retcon some of it because some wannabe cyclops fans and logan fans are salty about his growth and that logan became the avengers little bitch while cyclops turned into the ultimate rebel.

Finally, at the end of bendis run cyclops stated that his revolution was not one of violence, but of peace and following Xavier dream of unity between mutants and humans, thus setting up his return to a less militaristic and more peaceful approach, because cyclops realised that trying to start a violent revolution was a mistake and all mutants would eventually pay for his hubris if he continued that path. So he's set to return to a more peaceful approach, as long as mutantkind wasn't endangered again, but if that happened then I'm sure general cyclops would return and bring hell to the INhumans or other enemies or mutantkind because he wouldn't cross his arms in the face of extinction, never again
    Last edited by wano; 04-17-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    Since you seem to be talking about posters here, and not writers who've deconstructed Cyke:

Many of the people you identify as "haters" are actually jilted Cyclops fans. They were fans of the character until Marvel had him do bad/stupid things that, to those fans, were both deeply out of character and detrimental to his character. Thus, he is no longer the character they liked, cared about, and perhaps identified with, and they're pissed off about it. There are still Bronze Age fans that are angry that Scott left Madelyne. There are 80s-90s fans like me that are still pissed he cheated on Jean with Emma. I expect if/when Marvel resurrects Scott and sends him in a new direction, there will be plenty of Extinction-era fans who will be pissed they're not getting RightClops back. And, so it goes...

If you want the taproot of the divide, it's that Cyclops fans broadly fall into two opposing camps: those of us who prefer him as a hero in the same general vein as Captain America (i.e. "BoyScott") and those who prefer him as anti-hero more in the vein of Daredevil (i.e. "RightClops"). It boils down to which type of character you think Scott is supposed to be, and, because one side getting their way precludes the other getting their way, the two sides are never really going to agree.

At this point, given Scott's history, controversy and a divided fanbase is just part and parcel of the character.
    That’s an interesting idea. I can’t say that I would love every story of classics Scott, but I wouldn’t mind a return to the spirit of BoyScout Scott. As long as it acknowledges what he’s been through, of course. I find the contradictions of Scott’s history to be a big part of my love for him as a character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    That’s an interesting idea. I can’t say that I would love every story of classics Scott, but I wouldn’t mind a return to the spirit of BoyScout Scott. As long as it acknowledges what he’s been through, of course. I find the contradictions of Scott’s history to be a big part of my love for him as a character.
    Bendis set up his return to a more peaceful approach, I don't like the word boy scout because most people write it as if it meant goody two shoes pushover, and Cyclops is far from that

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Bendis set up his return to a more peaceful approach, I don't like the word boy scout because most people write it as if it meant goody two shoes pushover, and Cyclops is far from that
    I know what you mean, and I agree that the archetype doesn’t necessitate being a pushover, even if some think of it that way. Some people (not necessarily anyone here) are unable to reconcile how Scott changes throughout the years, but I find the questions that his changes raise to be very interesting. He was the moral center of the X-Men for a long time, and despite not veering off of the edge like some claim, eventually some (or even a majority) of the team left him. Why? Did he buckle under the pressure of his role during the Decimation/Extinction Era? Was the team unable to accept a version of Scott who wasn’t morally superior anymore? Can things go back to the way they were, if that’s what they want?

Making Scott the “boyscout” wouldn’t necessarily be bad, if the idea is written in a way that acknowledges everything that’s happened. Personally, I would argue Scott’s always been more of a paragon than a boyscout, but to each their own.