Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont get what part of that is cause for alarm
    Crazy answer: they erase the Maddie marriage. But I don't think we'll have a problem for that. I don't think they'd try. But what stories would they do away with in a "clearing of the board"?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Crazy answer: they erase the Maddie marriage. But I don't think we'll have a problem for that. I don't think they'd try. But what stories would they do away with in a "clearing of the board"?
    Oh boy, the salt if that would happen, I wonder if they'd also retcon Xavier's death as Xavier killing himself or Cyclops as having never cheated on jean
    I would mind that because Cyclops is made of his mistakes as much as he's made of his triumphs. . . BUT THE SALT! Oh jesus. . . Honestly wouldn't that make Cyclops the equivalent of Wanda Maximoff?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Oh boy, the salt if that would happen, I wonder if they'd also retcon Xavier's death as Xavier killing himself or Cyclops as having never cheated on jean
    I would mind that because Cyclops is made of his mistakes as much as he's made of his triumphs. . . BUT THE SALT! Oh jesus. . . Honestly wouldn't that make Cyclops the equivalent of Wanda Maximoff?
    Exactly and yes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    That'd depend on which version of Cyclops Marvel editorial wants going forward: BoyScott or RightClops.

Were I a betting man, I'd wager BoyScott (or, rather, TykeScott) and that they erase or heavily modify most of Scott's history going back to about 1982 or so. All the RightClops stuff. The affair w/Emma. Possibly the merger w/Apocalypse. Not just his marriage to Maddie, but probably his marriage to Jean as well with he and Jean (like post-OMD Spidey & MJ) having just dated for a long time. (How they would explain Cable's existence I have no idea.) All the X-Factor-era nervous breakdown and recovery stuff.

Depending on whether or not you view Madelyne as a back-door Jean resurrection, Scott's character derailment began either in 1983, with their relationship, or in 1986 when he left her for X-Factor. (Then, Louise Simonson re-railed him in the late 80s only for Morrison to later derail him again in the early 2000s. Whedon, and later Fraction, kinda sorta re-railed him again in the mid-to-late 2000s only for Gillen and Aaron to derail him yet again in the early 2010s. And so it goes...)

Resetting Scott's character to unblemished hero status means dumping all of that. IMO, though, that'd be too far. I'd settle for dialing Scott's character back to 1997 or so. Fortunately for CuteClops, wano, and co., I don't work in Marvel editorial and thus have zero say in the matter.

BANNED

I prefer to leave cyclops unchanged, he isn't a coward that hides behind retcons

No, I don't want them to erase the things that Scott has done, even if they erase the things that I don't like, I want Scott to learn from his mistakes and keep going as we do the others. I don't want Scott to be like Superman Rebirth, if he comes back with Jean, to be a Boy Scout or anything else, I want him to be because he has achieved it himself, whether it's going back with Jean or being like in the 90's or whatever.

i agree with what many are saying, i don't want him retconned. He's made mistakes, and he lives with them, that's what makes him great. I'm tired of him being a punching bag for logan. he's by far more compelling when he's tough and willing to do whatever it takes

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    i agree with what many are saying, i don't want him retconned. He's made mistakes, and he lives with them, that's what makes him great. I'm tired of him being a punching bag for logan. he's by far more compelling when he's tough and willing to do whatever it takes
    Actually Logan was the avengers lapdog and Cyclops was the rebel with an actual cause. . .

Spectacular Member comradepitrovsky's Avatar

Scott's always been more interesting and compelling because of his fuck-ups, not in spite of them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by comradepitrovsky View Post
    Scott's always been more interesting and compelling because of his fuck-ups, not in spite of them.
    I disagree.

His fuck-ups make him less sympathetic, not more.

BANNED

All-New X-Men 010 (2013)

And that, my friends, is called hypocrisy.
    Logan, Hank, Ororo, Kitty and Bobby...
    Sigh... It's really sad.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeisonWolf View Post
    No, I don't want them to erase the things that Scott has done, even if they erase the things that I don't like, I want Scott to learn from his mistakes and keep going as we do the others. I don't want Scott to be like Superman Rebirth, if he comes back with Jean, to be a Boy Scout or anything else, I want him to be because he has achieved it himself, whether it's going back with Jean or being like in the 90's or whatever.
    Current Marvel editorial felt Cyclops, in the state he was left at the end of the Bendis run, wasn't redeemable or workable as a character. Otherwise, they wouldn't have approved killing him off.

The question is will they resurrect him and retcon him into the character they want or will he remain dead until a more RightClops-friendly editorial regime cycles in? Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    Current Marvel editorial felt Cyclops, in the state he was left at the end of the Bendis run, wasn't redeemable or workable as a character. Otherwise, they wouldn't have approved killing him off.

The question is will they resurrect him and retcon him into the character they want or will he remain dead until a more RightClops-friendly editorial regime cycles in? Time will tell.
    I disagree that that was their motivation - or at least the only one. Sometimes it seems that Marvel kills characters without a story in mind, and not even just in the X-Books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post

I'm pretty sure they killed him to promote their inhumans bullshit, and then again I'm glad he died because I couldn't have stood the thought of the terrigen crisis happening and cyclops doing nothing about it like an useless moron, or secret empire, or all the superhero v hero fuckups happening in a world where Cyclops lets any of that happen

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I disagree that that was their motivation - or at least the only one. Sometimes it seems that Marvel kills characters without a story in mind, and not even just in the X-Books.
    Like wolverine, then again it's probably because Aaron and friends made him a mockery of his former self

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I disagree that that was their motivation - or at least the only one.
    For sure. They wanted to move the franchise past Scott's "revolution" in a different direction, they wanted to set up IvX (although the execution was pretty lacking), and, more generally, they wanted to shake up the status quo in a dramatic way.