Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just don't really see the Bugle as a regression for Jonah. His identity and character is too rooted in the Bugle in my opinion, and it was a position of power and conflict that I think defines a lot of who he is.
    I feel like the only way Jonah would be able to come back is if he was in charge again, he wouldn't be someone who would take a lesser job while Robbie is running things. And even then, if he were to ever step down for whatever reason or die, Betty or Ben I think would be the much better and more satisfying choices to replace him.

But, really, what job can Peter have at this point? He's basically been blacklisted or discredited from everything. He can't seem to keep a job for as long as when he was a photographer.
    The teacher and scientist thing is understandable, though I'd think by now everyone will have forgotten he was blacklisted from being a photographer. But even then, trying to get as just a photographer in this day and age isn't the smartest decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Nick is going to Bugle eventually. He talked about how great it was, is always drinking the most rich and healthy continuity juice, and has Randy, Jonah, and the hanging Ned thread to segue into it.

Have faith in the Lord, for he shall always deliver.
    You, my friend, are hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I feel like the only way Jonah would be able to come back is if he was in charge again, he wouldn't be someone who would take a lesser job while Robbie is running things. And even then, if he were to ever step down for whatever reason or die, Betty or Ben I think would be the much better and more satisfying choices to replace him.

The teacher and scientist thing is understandable, though I'd think by now everyone will have forgotten he was blacklisted from being a photographer. But even then, trying to get as just a photographer in this day and age isn't the smartest decision.
    I actually really liked the science teacher job, and the way it felt like a natural progression of his adult life while still keeping the everyman aspect. Times like that prove that Peter doesn't need the Bugle to keep things interesting in his career, even if he didn't stay in it long. That's not the point: it's the impact he made.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa View Post
    I just kinda miss the Daily Bugle as being that one thing that grounded all the silliness

Peter Parker being cloned 37 times , Peter Parker in outer space , Peter Parker in different dimensions , Peter Parker staring in Freaky Friday with Doc Ock , etc, etc , etc

And the Bugle was always a great way to introduce new character , who then can go one to create new story arcs ,
    The Bugle thing is weird because Slott set up Peter having a job there before he left.

Even more weird that in all other respects Spencer is just continuing where Slott left off. I'm not seeing this mass deconstruction of the previous regime that some fans are, examples like Spencer having Peter obtain his his doctorate through legitimate means and repairing his soured relationship with the Black Cat are dangling plot threads that Slott would have gotten to eventually is he had more time on the book.

Even tonally it's very similar to what Slott was doing. The high concept stuff like the supersized Thieves Guild and doing Superman Red/Blue but with Spider-Man fits right in with things like everyone gets spider powers or we see every Spider-Man in the multiverse or supersizing the Sinister Six into global threats. It doesn't help that the art style is pretty much the same or even using some of the same artists that we associate with Slott's run.

Not that this is a bad thing, it reminds me of how Marvel used to be up until the 2000s when every new creative staff tried to make the changeover seem as seamless as possible before it became common that a new writer meant a fresh start. Still I'm not seeing this massive renaissance of Spider-Man that every one else is.
    Last edited by Orbus; 12-11-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I think when Jonah eventually ends up back at the Bugle he will definitely be in charge again, although I think the idea of him as a reporter working under Robbie would be hilarious .
    Cameraman, maybe? The Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon made him the guy who takes video footage of Spider-Man (Peter even had a drone follow him around to take footage).

Not sure if that's more feasible then a photographer.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I actually really liked the science teacher job, and the way it felt like a natural progression of his adult life while still keeping the everyman aspect. Times like that prove that Peter doesn't need the Bugle to keep things interesting in his career, even if he didn't stay in it long. That's not the point: it's the impact he made.
    I thought the science teacher job was nice and lead to some good character moments, and felt in-line with Peter's character, although I don't think it was as dynamic as his job with the Bugle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    I'm not seeing this mass deconstruction of the previous regime that some fans are, examples like Spencer having Peter obtain his his doctorate through legitimate means and repairing his soured relationship with the Black Cat are dangling plot threads that Slott would have gotten to eventually is he had more time on the book.
    I don't know if that's a sure thing short of Slott saying he had plans to do so.

I guess he did say he wanted to resolve what happened to Black Cat quicker then he did, but if he had I think it would've been closer to how he handled it in Venom Inc. and not how Spencer did, where he also went out of his way to address a lot of the character issues that had been plaguing Black Cat for a while.

Spencer is an omega-level muta- I mean Spidey fan. He must've had ideas for what he would do on ASM all the way back when he was writing Cloak and Dagger. In order to tell his story, certain pieces must be arranged in certain ways. He is also a continuity master who is a fan of Dan's run and had to reread a lot of the franchise in preparation. While he must do things like have Peter lose the job or Felicia be in on things again, he is doing so by using Dan's run as a springboard, and using other new developments like Post-Crisis Jonah and the nuclear Lizard family as tools to make the story better. It is both clearly a new story that is also clearly part of the greater tapestry. Which is how all new runs should do it. There is no deconstruction or conspiracy. He's homies with Dan, and it was never Dan's intention for Felicia to be off-kilter forever or for Mary Jane to be banished to the realm of Pluto for all time.

BANNED

Read it

spoilers:
    No MJ in this issue, instead Peter spends christmas re-enacting "Jingle All The Way" with a giant man-hippo and has christmas dinner with Robbie and Randy. We learn Randy is seeing a new girl and Betty Brant is in Europe. Jonah isn't talking to Robbie at the moment, still thinking of the Bugle as "his". Peter learns of Jameson and Spidey's invite by the Kingpin on the news and meets up with Jonah, who's annoyed Peter hasn't been returning his calls and feels left out. The two are ambushed by the Enforcers, Peter gets the best of them until they threaten Jonah, Peter puts himself in harm's way and gets knocked out. He and Jonah find themselves in a room with mutated creatures, old Spider-Slayers, The Scorpion and taunting them all the way is The Big Man
    end of spoilers

BANNED

This was a good issue. It's definitely a slight one, storywise, as it's pretty much all set-up but it's cool to see Spencer getting to take a crack at the new Jonah/Spidey dynamic. As expected, he does a great job with it.

Also nice to have Ottley back on art.

Not a barnburner of an issue but a solidly enjoyable one that brings some cool villains back into play and we've only got a week to wait till #12 arrives next week!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This was a good issue. It's definitely a slight one, storywise, as it's pretty much all set-up but it's cool to see Spencer getting to take a crack at the new Jonah/Spidey dynamic. As expected, he does a great job with it.

Also nice to have Ottley back on art.

Not a barnburner of an issue but a solidly enjoyable one that brings some cool villains back into play and we've only got a week to wait till #12 arrives next week!
    Seems like the Bugle is having as much bad luck as Peter

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Seems like the Bugle is having as much bad luck as Peter
    It's just the reality of the newspaper business today.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Read it

spoilers:
    No MJ in this issue, instead Peter spends christmas re-enacting "Jingle All The Way" with a giant man-hippo and has christmas dinner with Robbie and Randy. We learn Randy is seeing a new girl and Betty Brant is in Europe. Jonah isn't talking to Robbie at the moment, still thinking of the Bugle as "his". Peter learns of Jameson and Spidey's invite by the Kingpin on the news and meets up with Jonah, who's annoyed Peter hasn't been returning his calls and feels left out. The two are ambushed by the Enforcers, Peter gets the best of them until they threaten Jonah, Peter puts himself in harm's way and gets knocked out. He and Jonah find themselves in a room with mutated creatures, old Spider-Slayers, The Scorpion and taunting them all the way is The Big Man
    end of spoilers
    Those mutated creatures appear to be versions of the Human Fly, who Jameson was also responsible for creating, back in ASM Annual #10.

I like that Jameson's old sins are coming full circle
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

where there's sin...there's The Sin-Eater!!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

It wouldn't be JJJ if his old sins didn't come back to bite him in the ass LOL.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    where there's sin...there's The Sin-Eater!!
    The Sin-Eater would be a good one to see under Nick Spencer's pen. Wasn't Jonah one of his targets in that arc, if I recall right?
    The spider is always on the hunt.