Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Good, it was his own stupidity.

The respectable thing to do would have been to own it, and say he used to be an ******* and he's grown, he's a different person and he now fully supports the LGBT community and that he's deleted the tweets and apologise for any offense caused. That's the classy proper way to handle it.

His answer was "everyone just wants to be offended, y'all killing my good vibes, i'm ignoring you" which goes down as well as you'd expect. I imagine he got a phone call saying he needs to quit or he will be fired because the Oscars does not want to be associated with him.

So he brought it on himself, also have people not learned by now to delete your old tweets if you've got a twitter account with a lot of years on it? Jeez.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Because that would make sense. We're not dealing with rational thinkers here.

That being said, I do commend him for stepping down. His tweets may have been wrong, but these company's know who they are hiring and what they say, they can't try to save face once they're called out on it. They look sillier than the person in question at that point.

I wonder if he realized he kind of apologized anyways though..while losing the position.
    I've heard the Academy is catching grief for not having vetted Hart better than they had. When dealing with comedians, there's usually (though not always) a chance they've taken potshots at the LGTBQ community at one time or another, either onstage or via social media. Bottom line: the Academy dropped the ball, but yeah, Hart screwed up big time with his dumbass initial response which only made the situation worse and has no one to blame but himself.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Good, it was his own stupidity.

The respectable thing to do would have been to own it, and say he used to be an ******* and he's grown, he's a different person and he now fully supports the LGBT community and that he's deleted the tweets and apologise for any offense caused. That's the classy proper way to handle it.

His answer was "everyone just wants to be offended, y'all killing my good vibes, i'm ignoring you" which goes down as well as you'd expect. I imagine he got a phone call saying he needs to quit or he will be fired because the Oscars does not want to be associated with him.

So he brought it on himself, also have people not learned by now to delete your old tweets if you've got a twitter account with a lot of years on it? Jeez.
    I had a similar discussion with a co-worker. He's trying to be part of the Hollywood In-Crowd... I'm convinced his people told him not only would he get bounced from the Oscars, his attitude would probably hurt his chances for future work.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I had a similar discussion with a co-worker. He's trying to be part of the Hollywood In-Crowd... I'm convinced his people told him not only would he get bounced from the Oscars, his attitude would probably hurt his chances for future work.
    Separate from this incident, he has beef with Katt Williams for the exact same thing, in that he accused Williams of squandering his chances to be part of that In-Crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    If someone could explain the rational about the need to tweet whatever nonsense and stupid thing that comes into ones mind I'd love to hear it. Because the first thing that would pop into my head is, "is this worth killing my career/impacting my income over?"
    When he said it it wasn't a career killer this isn't like Gunn who told socially unacceptable jokes even for the time and that was the point Gunn was trying to provoke. This was Hart playing the room he made these jokes in the same years Hangover and Hangover 2 came out and I mention them because they were huge mainstream films with homophobic jokes in both films.

He said this has come up before and he took ownership of it then. If this is true, then its stupid to bring it up a second time because he got a big gig and expect apologies all over again. In which case I'm rather in support of him saying bugger off this time. Again, if its true that this was addressed before.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

I hope the Oscars recruit James Gunn to host. Or Mike Cernovich if Gunn isn't available.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

It's my understanding that it's more than a homophobic thing. I think the homophobia aspect is getting attention because this is a show business event, and there are a ton of gay people involved with it, as well as films that have a LGBT aspect to them that are nominated.

The first article that I read on Kevin Hart being asked to host was geared more to the #MeToo movement. They quoted statements from Hart where he talked about abusing a past girlfriend, and other comments where he admitted to cheating on his wife. They then went into the homophobic stuff.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Part of me understands why he needed to step down, but part of me wonders about who had the free time to dig up this man’s past like that. I think all of us have things in our past that we are not proud of, if this is the standard for which we all are going to be held to then we are all screwed. This individual case might be justified somewhat but as a general trend this is quite worrisome.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    I'm more interested in the Academy's new regulations, it sèems, in not associating with hosts, actors (or actresses) who have a past that they don't agree with. I hope they are constant in this stance and it is extended to nominations and they don't just pick and choose when and to who they apply this new rule.
    First off Hart was the one decided to pull out. Not the other way around. Also the Oscars were struggling to find a host and he was doing them a solid then they started demanding he make apologies for something he apologized for years ago. So that’s not even really an accurate depiction of this scenario.

Second, if you start doing that for nominations, then the awards become meaningless. It becomes less about who is the best and more about who they want to promote.

This award show is already tanking in the ratings each year

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    He said this has come up before and he took ownership of it then. If this is true, then its stupid to bring it up a second time because he got a big gig and expect apologies all over again. In which case I'm rather in support of him saying bugger off this time. Again, if its true that this was addressed before.
    That’s basically what his problem was. He made tweets years ago. Apologized for them publicly and addressed it. Now it’s being dragged back out and people want him to go back to the thorn bush and out of principle he said “nah I’m good”. The Oscars gave him an ultimatum. The funny thing is he did ultimately apologize a second time, just when he was announcing that he wouldn’t do the show anymore.

Astonishing Member

His fault, he made horrible homophobic comments they came back up again. Whether he apologized before or not a lot of people hadn't heard or seen any of it before. So instead of proving he has changed and learned something he decided nope I refuse to "apologize again". There is no principle in that. He was wrong, use the platform to show why he was wrong in the past. He could have done something good with the platform.

I said horrible things and I apologized and will always be sorry that was ever me. But, I want everyone to know I learned from it and what I said I hope no one ever makes the same mistake and thinks that way. LGBT people deserve respect and I hope everyone will treat each other better and I can't wait to host the show this year.

I could have been his PR person ffs. It is that easy. We understand people's attitudes evolve. He choose to make it a big deal and be stubborn. His responses put in question if he ever really meant an apology at all. His loss.

So does every celebrity who's done or said something like this have to apologize over and over again? I mean, every time some 20 year old with a YouTube channel "discovers" what so-and-so said fifteen years ago, they have to apologize all over again? I suppose the Double Jeopardy clause of the 8th Amendment doesn't apply to social media.

BANNED

Twitter will be the end of our species.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Gues no more comedians gonna be hosting the oscars for awhile