Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Default Kevin Hart's VERY Brief Stint As Host Of The 2019 Oscars....

Kevin Hart Says He’s Stepped Down From Oscar Hosting Gig Amid Controversy Over Old Tweets

The comedian, who was named as the host of the 2019 Academy Awards this week, faced criticism over homophobic jokes he made several years ago. Opinions?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Niffleheim

I'm more interested in the Academy's new regulations, it sèems, in not associating with hosts, actors (or actresses) who have a past that they don't agree with. I hope they are constant in this stance and it is extended to nominations and they don't just pick and choose when and to who they apply this new rule.

Astonishing Member

This definitely needs to apply to nominations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    This definitely needs to apply to nominations as well.
    Then the award's even more meaningless than it already is.

If you're taking into account the content of the work as an element of its artistic worth, that's legitimate. But if someone says something offensive disconnected from the work, it has no bearing on it in itself. (There's also the issue of when a thing was said/happened, the context, does it reflect the current values of the person.)
    Last edited by Tuck; 12-07-2018 at 09:11 AM. Reason: wrote 'work' insteat of 'worth'. actually makes sense now

You know what would suck even more for Kevin Hart right now? If the Academy chose The Rock as their new host.

(yes, yes, I know it's a joke)

people watch the Oscars? and is this supposed to aid the LGBTQ community?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    You know what would suck even more for Kevin Hart right now? If the Academy chose The Rock as their new host.

LOL..

I hope it happens.

Only for them to find out his somewhat homophobic WWE promos during the Attitude Era.

the 90s was quite homophobic. good luck finding a host.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    LOL..

I hope it happens.

Only for them to find out his somewhat homophobic WWE promos during the Attitude Era.
    Not to go too much further into the joke (and not to say anything about whether or not Hart should stay at all), but I feel like a lot of Dwayne Johnson's feel-good persona since becoming a movie star had been very much to counter the WWE public image from the 90s. So you'd see him at pride events. Out of most straight celebrities, he's really publicly supportive of gay celebrities who come out, and he stands up for or promotes LGBTQ people on his social media. So I feel like anything from the 90s would be countered by that.

It's a far cry from Hart, whose first reaction to all this was to double-down on his comments, almost like the opposite approach.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    LOL..

I hope it happens.

"Say hi...to your boyfriend Mike"

(and that was one of the TAMER ones)
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 12-07-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Maybe the Oscars should be like the White House Correspondents dinner and get a non-comedian to host. Then the whole show will be boring, except for the one or two interesting acceptance speeches we get each year.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Kevin Hart Says He’s Stepped Down From Oscar Hosting Gig Amid Controversy Over Old Tweets

The comedian, who was named as the host of the 2019 Academy Awards this week, faced criticism over homophobic jokes he made several years ago. Opinions?
    If someone could explain the rational about the need to tweet whatever nonsense and stupid thing that comes into ones mind I'd love to hear it. Because the first thing that would pop into my head is, "is this worth killing my career/impacting my income over?"

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    If someone could explain the rational about the need to tweet whatever nonsense and stupid thing that comes into ones mind I'd love to hear it. Because the first thing that would pop into my head is, "is this worth killing my career/impacting my income over?"
    Maybe people didn't think their comments wouldn't amount to much, or that they would quickly be forgotten, and they almost always end up being proven wrong. That happens to both the famous, and the unknown. The moral of this story, boys and girls? Never, EVER assume your past can't come back to bite you in the ass! Whether or not this incident hurts Hart's career (other than losing the Oscars gig) is unknown at present, but his image will certainly take a serious hit in the short term.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Because that would make sense. We're not dealing with rational thinkers here.

That being said, I do commend him for stepping down. His tweets may have been wrong, but these company's know who they are hiring and what they say, they can't try to save face once they're called out on it. They look sillier than the person in question at that point.

I wonder if he realized he kind of apologized anyways though..while losing the position.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

If I were a Hollywood agent, the first thing I'd say to a new client is, "if your thumb ever gets anywhere near a Twitter app icon, I'm dropping you."