Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    So does every celebrity who's done or said something like this have to apologize over and over again? I mean, every time some 20 year old with a YouTube channel "discovers" what so-and-so said fifteen years ago, they have to apologize all over again? I suppose the Double Jeopardy clause of the 8th Amendment doesn't apply to social media.
    Yeah it's a childish thing to demand. So basically because other people were late to the party on a situation that was addressed, that he was made accountable for, that he dealt with, showed penance for and moved on with his life.... now he has to go through it again and again. What's the message here? That you don't get to move on from your mistakes? That almost ten years later if someone new reads about it on the internet they can demand an apology?

At some point people are entitled to move on with their lives if they addressed and handled a situation properly going forward. Especially if it's saying stupid things. If he actually hurt people, okay then maybe we can find that unforgiveable. If it's a tweet from 7 years ago? Yeah I think at some point you lose your ability to demand continuous apology tours.

Again this is being completely misrepresented as well. He did not get kicked off the Oscars. The Oscars demanded an apology and he told them to take a hike. The Oscars' been struggling to get people to host this show and this is one of the reasons why. Nobody wants to deal with hyper sensitive scrutiny from an award show that caters to stuck up celebrity's that can't have their sensibilities offended. And nowadays not enough people watch to make the publicity worth it.

The only funny thing about this is that they probably got Kevin Hart because they were like "oh it's Kevin Hart, he makes the corniest shit ever, he won't offend anybody".
    Last edited by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE; 12-08-2018 at 01:00 PM.

It just seems obnoxious to me if the new code of ethics is that jokes you've told on the internet get to be brought up multiple times within someone's lifetime and they have to apologize for the same thing over and over and over.

Even if they're not jokes, if the person has addressed them meaningfully and everyone's moved on, its still a waste of time to me to keep bringing it up and up and up. Its like society has now become that bad marriage where a spouse will start a fight about something said and seemingly forgotten years ago.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-08-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Yeah, it's all to do with the levels of skin

Thicker, not thinner.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Not to go too much further into the joke (and not to say anything about whether or not Hart should stay at all), but I feel like a lot of Dwayne Johnson's feel-good persona since becoming a movie star had been very much to counter the WWE public image from the 90s. So you'd see him at pride events. Out of most straight celebrities, he's really publicly supportive of gay celebrities who come out, and he stands up for or promotes LGBTQ people on his social media. So I feel like anything from the 90s would be countered by that.
    Didn't stop him from coming back to WWE and making even more homophobic promos in 2011-2012. Even threw in some transphobic remarks for good measure. That's not exactly ancient history.
    Last edited by wjowski; 12-08-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Didn't stop him from coming back to WWE and making even more homophobic promos in 2011-2012. Even threw in some transphobic remarks for good measure. That's not exactly ancient history.
    Hogan's coming back to WWE and he dropped a bunch of un-ironic n-bombs

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Hogan's coming back to WWE and he dropped a bunch of un-ironic n-bombs
    Because Vince doesn't give a crap about Twitter archeologists.

The Oscars, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    If someone could explain the rational about the need to tweet whatever nonsense and stupid thing that comes into ones mind I'd love to hear it. Because the first thing that would pop into my head is, "is this worth killing my career/impacting my income over?"
    One factor is that, in the 1990s, a lot of people didn't yet get how big the Internet would be or at least that things they said would be there for a long time. Also, in the 1980s and into the '90s, gay bashing bigotry was vastly more acceptable than it is now.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    One factor is that, in the 1990s, a lot of people didn't yet get how big the Internet would be or at least that things they said would be there for a long time. Also, in the 1980s and into the '90s, gay bashing bigotry was vastly more acceptable than it is now.
    We aren't that far removed from the 2000's when the biggest rapper in the world (and probably most mainstream rapper ever) was dropping the homophobic f word in nearly every track and whenever he wanted to go at his rivals. And this was very public mainstream stuff.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

The problem with Hart's apology is that is happened after hurting his career. I don't find it sincere, just damage control.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

I don't like what he said but I'm so tired of everything from the past being "Problematic" and I'm glad he didn't apology its called the past judge people by who they are today and let the past be the past the only time an apology is warranted if its someone you directly hurt.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I don't like what he said but I'm so tired of everything from the past being "Problematic" and I'm glad he didn't apology its called the past judge people by who they are today and let the past be the past the only time an apology is warranted if its someone you directly hurt.
    Until now his reaction to being asked about his comments was an eyeroll. That's not changing your ways.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Until now his reaction to being asked about his comments was an eyeroll. That's not changing your ways.
    That’s actually not true. Years ago he said he would never make jokes like that again because of how much they hurt the lgbtq community.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    So does every celebrity who's done or said something like this have to apologize over and over again? I mean, every time some 20 year old with a YouTube channel "discovers" what so-and-so said fifteen years ago, they have to apologize all over again? I suppose the Double Jeopardy clause of the 8th Amendment doesn't apply to social media.
    One guy's take...

In this example(heck, this example in particular), a person is essentially saying "I have decided that my apology should be good enough. What you think of my apology really is not relevant."

If that's how you decide to play it, you are going to have to keep apologizing until doomsday to get me to even "Halfway" convinced.

Edit: Never mind that an Amendment to the Constitution is supposed to protect you from The United States Government. Not a private outfit you are trying to get a job from.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 12-09-2018 at 04:49 AM.

It's just hard to make a case for anyone that thinks that you should have to excuse their dumb calls.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 12-09-2018 at 04:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Gonna agree with the view on this one.