Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Has Doomsday Clock answered any of Rebirth questions ?

Given the importance of the storyline I was wondering if Doomsday Clock gave any answers to DC Rebirth questions ?

Like why bother saving Jor-el of Krypton ?

Why Dr. Manhattan mess with the overall DC timeline and removed the KSA Nad Legion of Superheroes ?

Why hasn’t other heroes caught up to the events of Doomsday Clock yet and done something to fix it ?

In other words: Can the DCU timeline be restored to its former glory or will Doomsday Clock end with an altered timeline, that is both new and familiar ?

No, I wouldn't expect it to until the end when all is revealed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    No, I wouldn't expect it to until the end when all is revealed.
    The problem is we don't even know what is going on. Hard to get invested in a story when you don't know what the threat is. Only 4 issues left and the big bad isn't even revealed. Can't see how this can deliver what I want it to, a satisfying return of the JSA and LSH unless all the remaining issues are 50 pages long. Geoff has written some of my favorite stories of the last 30 years but I am worried.

I feel like Doomsday Clock will mostly focus on answer the main big question, "Why are the Watchmen characters in the DCU?". Then will have other smaller event style books that will tackle the return of the JSA, Three Jokers, etc. I don't think there's enough time on the clock (heh) for this series to answer everything. Or at least with the pace it had before issue #8.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

I don't think that Doomsday Clock will provide any answers.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Given the importance of the storyline I was wondering if Doomsday Clock gave any answers to DC Rebirth questions ?

Like why bother saving Jor-el of Krypton ?

Why Dr. Manhattan mess with the overall DC timeline and removed the KSA Nad Legion of Superheroes ?

Why hasn’t other heroes caught up to the events of Doomsday Clock yet and done something to fix it ?

In other words: Can the DCU timeline be restored to its former glory or will Doomsday Clock end with an altered timeline, that is both new and familiar ?
    There have been no answers, and I don't know that all of the questions of the Rebirth story will actually be answered.

I honestly don't expect other books to "catch up" to it anymore, with the exception of possibly Batman and Flash. What I'm reading in various books feels like that plan got scrapped entirely and that everything is now moving towards Scott Snyder's "fate-of-the-universe-crisis-of-the-week"-of-the-year event.

And it will 100 percent end with an altered timeline. The current regime will just pick and choose what stuff from previous versions of the DCU will now apply to a modified New 52 continuity.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

No, at this point i don't expect to anymore. Probably only the JSA will be reintroduced.
    However it's a great read.

The whole Jor-El thing seems to be the biggest thing shunted to the side at this point.

There has been zero explanation for:
    -why Jor was saved?
    -who were all the captives he was holding (back when Tim & Jon Kent were prisoners)?
    -what was the reason for holding those people?

Unless this gets looped back into the end of Doomsday Clock, doesn't feel like any of these are close to getting explained.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    The whole Jor-El thing seems to be the biggest thing shunted to the side at this point.

There has been zero explanation for:
    -why Jor was saved?
    -who were all the captives he was holding (back when Tim & Jon Kent were prisoners)?
    -what was the reason for holding those people?

Unless this gets looped back into the end of Doomsday Clock, doesn't feel like any of these are close to getting explained.
    the entire Mr oz thing I guess will eventually play out in superman with John's return, but it's faded in its importance

generally I think the story will bring in a few characters not seen so far like the jsa

otherwise I think it's protracted output will result in a vastly reduced import or impact

for me this has been a significant failure from dc given the implication in rebirth

still, as a story alone it might be fine especially when a do a full run through when it's done
    Last edited by kilderkin; 12-07-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Well, the Three Jokers thing is going to get resolved in it's own book at the very least.

DClock takes place months in the futre and hasn't occurred yet in the other books. I suspect everything will be caught up by the last issue.

"Former glory" is up to interpretation. Some of us might like it; others may not. But I'm pretty sure the story's ending with a combination of familiar and tweaked. It's been decades since any comic book having a longer time change story has reverted totally back to the way things were. There's always been some sort of change.

I'm speculating (a fancier word than guessing) that most of the changes planned are happening in individual books like with the Superman stuff. Hopefully the ending of DClock will provide something explaining a blanket effect even if details are left to other series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    DClock takes place months in the futre and hasn't occurred yet in the other books. I suspect everything will be caught up by the last issue.

"Former glory" is up to interpretation. Some of us might like it; others may not. But I'm pretty sure the story's ending with a combination of familiar and tweaked. It's been decades since any comic book having a longer time change story has reverted totally back to the way things were. There's always been some sort of change.

I'm speculating (a fancier word than guessing) that most of the changes planned are happening in individual books like with the Superman stuff. Hopefully the ending of DClock will provide something explaining a blanket effect even if details are left to other series.
    DC needs to stop doing things halfway, as things are Doomsday Clock's resolution will probably lead to another semi-reboot like Rebirth.