Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Poor Sam... Cosmo really shouldn't have said that about Rich when he's in earshot.

It's a real shame that series got cancelled so soon. At least both Rich and Sam are still getting used.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

It's a shame that this series has lasted so little.
    I never cared for Sam, but after so many years without Rich, it was so fast.

we are so... intense...

Yeah, I was super bummed when the last series ended so quickly. I've been a big fan of Rich since Annihilation (I came late to the party, dont judge!) and while I missed the old DnA days of Rich and the Worldmind and the hard sci-fi approach of that series, it was fun to get a kind of buddy cop narrative with him and Sam (I had hoped this could bring the fans together in mutual appreciation).

To this day "It is critical you pay attention at this time!" still brings a smile to my face. And Rich, Worldmind, and Cosmo have one of the best dynamics in cosmic Marvel, as far as Im concerned. Hell, for my money cosmic Marvel doesn't get any better than Richard Rider; Nova Prime. Great costume, great powers......Rich could be one of the heavy hitters in the MU and I've never understood why Marvel pulled the rug out from under him just as his popularity was starting to spike. It felt like Nova's best days were just ahead of him, and then the cancerverse ate him and Sam took over for cartoon synergy.......such a waste. No offense to Sam but the Nova property didn't seem to benefit from the re-start at all. Didn't seem to hurt sales that much, admittedly, but I can only imagine that continued effort with Rich would've continued to elevate his status and starting back at square one with Sam just stunted the whole IP. Sam's fine, but Rich was on a pretty great trajectory and Nova had to start all over again when Sam took over.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    It's a shame that this series has lasted so little.
    I never cared for Sam, but after so many years without Rich, it was so fast.

we are so... intense...

Love this scene. It's cool to see the younger bunch pay respect to Nova Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, I was super bummed when the last series ended so quickly. I've been a big fan of Rich since Annihilation (I came late to the party, dont judge!) and while I missed the old DnA days of Rich and the Worldmind and the hard sci-fi approach of that series, it was fun to get a kind of buddy cop narrative with him and Sam (I had hoped this could bring the fans together in mutual appreciation).

To this day "It is critical you pay attention at this time!" still brings a smile to my face. And Rich, Worldmind, and Cosmo have one of the best dynamics in cosmic Marvel, as far as Im concerned. Hell, for my money cosmic Marvel doesn't get any better than Richard Rider; Nova Prime. Great costume, great powers......Rich could be one of the heavy hitters in the MU and I've never understood why Marvel pulled the rug out from under him just as his popularity was starting to spike. It felt like Nova's best days were just ahead of him, and then the cancerverse ate him and Sam took over for cartoon synergy.......such a waste. No offense to Sam but the Nova property didn't seem to benefit from the re-start at all. Didn't seem to hurt sales that much, admittedly, but I can only imagine that continued effort with Rich would've continued to elevate his status and starting back at square one with Sam just stunted the whole IP. Sam's fine, but Rich was on a pretty great trajectory and Nova had to start all over again when Sam took over.
    I wish I had of gotten into Nova sooner. I heard that the character was good.Watch and kept up with the fall out of him being pushed to the side but I still never bothered to pick up a title. Probably one of the dumbest things I have done as a comic fan.

But as to the bold. Back when it happen there were several people saying in the forums and a few articles that Lobe heard about Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be a movie and he wanted/hoped that by creating a Nova he would get one of his characters into live action. Who knows if that really is the case but I somewhat believe that played a part in the decision.

However, at this moment in time I more concern with devouring as many Rich Rider books as I can and staying positive that he is back and hopefully be used more.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

I met Rich in the Spiderman books, and then in New Warriors.
    Then, he stayed a few years in limbo, and then came Annihilation.
    I was so happy to see my boy become one of the greats.
    But then... sigh.

Carol Danvers' series has been relaunched every year in the last 13 years, but Rich continues to be boycotted.
    ***deep sigh***

I discovered Rich through the New Warriors but it was the DNA run that made him my favorite cosmic hero. Loved the Annihilation stuff but what really cemnted my love for Rich was the arc with Galactus. It was awesome seeing the former New Warrior fly up to Galactus and have the balls to try and delay his meal.

Yeah, Rich had this crazy "dont give a sh*t/ large and in charge" attitude without going into full blown d-bag territory that I just really latched onto. Not many people in the universe have the stones to tell a Celestial to f**k off but enough humanity to bring a space dog their favorite earth food.

Honestly, the thing that sold me on Richard and made me a fan for life was post-Annihilation, Nova issue 2, where Tony's telling him all about the Civil War and Rich just rips into him and tells Tony just how small and insignificant the civil war conflict and the SHRA was. Galactic civilizations had crumbled.....it was like Europe after WWII on a universal scale, entire planets of the dead burning, governments collapsed and quadrillions of refugees starving.....and Tony's talking about how important registration is......to the guy who ripped Annihulus' guts out of his own mouth.

Seeing an also-ran hero like Nova tell Tony Stark to stick it up his ass......yeah, I was sold on the character at that moment.
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-09-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yes Rich's reaction to Tony and all the heroes of earth was just perfect. Here's a guy that has spent months fighting to save all life in the universe to finally coming home and seeing the "heroes" he knew fighting each other over a piece of paper. The disgust was real, totally justified and mirrored exactly how i felt as a reader at the time.

Yeah, Rich had this crazy "dont give a sh*t/ large and in charge" attitude without going into full blown d-bag territory that I just really latched onto. Not many people in the universe have the stones to tell a Celestial to f**k off but enough humanity to bring a space dog their favorite earth food.

Honestly, the thing that sold him for Richard and made me a fan for life was post-Annihilation, Nova issue 2, where Tony's telling him all about the Civil War and Rich just rips into him and tells Tony just how small and insignificant the civil war conflict and the SHRA was. Galactic civilizations had crumbled.....it was like Europe after WWII on a universal scale, entire planets of the dead burning, governments collapsed and quadrillions of refugees starving.....and Tony's talking about how important registration is......to the guy who ripped Annihulus' guts out of his own mouth.

Seeing an also-ran hero like Nova tell Tony Stark to stick it up his ass......yeah, I was sold on the character at that moment.
    I just finished reading that the other day. It was pretty hilarious. Rich was on fire in that issue

Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Rich straight up clowned Tony in his own office and i loved every second of it. I need a Richard Rider Nova ongoing in my life like right now. Until then this thread got me to dig out my Nova back issues for a reread of the entire DNA run.

While you're re-reading, make sure you enjoy them for me too, yeah? Most of my Nova issues were destroyed by water damage (nothing left but the later issues) and I've had a hard time finding trades.

~ Black Panther.

While you're re-reading, make sure you enjoy them for me too, yeah? Most of my Nova issues were destroyed by water damage (nothing left but the later issues) and I've had a hard time finding trades.
    Recently Nova by DNA the complete collection vol. 1 was released. Even though i own the singles i still bought it. Has the 4 issue Nova Annihilation mini plus issues 1-15 plus the annual of the ongoing. Cover price is $39.99 but you can easily find online for half of that. Volume 2 with issues 16-36 actually comes out later this month to complete the run.

BANNED

a very moving moment for me was when Rich meets Robbie Baldwin, still as Penance, after the Thunderbolts attack.
    Robbie is another New Warrior I'd like to see again, just like Justice.

BANNED

Nova - Concept Art by Sony Santa Monica Art Director, Rafael Grassetti (God of War PS4)

Last edited by CuteClops; 12-09-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Sam didn't really have anything to with stunting the IP. Marvel didn't understand how to use Nova and you can tell be their use of Richard later they don't(didn't) get it. Sam is not what hurt Richard, It was not understanding that Nova was "Captain America in Space" and A list character at that point. What they did with Carol as basically defender of Earth against Aliens and elevation in leadership should have been done to Richard. Worse of all the missed a chance to have him on Hickman's Avenger squad in storyline build for his character to shine for comic fans who might not read his books to see him. It is easy to go Sam and Limbo was the issue but real issue imo is they built Nova franchise into something amazing over time and now the final step is to place him spots where he is highlighted as a big gun. Dr Strange is key to Mystical/Supernatural side of Marvel, Nova should the key to Cosmic side of Marvel and that how they need to move forward. And it looks like now the are making GoG (a franchise that has now been built into something important) the Avengers in space with bunch of important cosmic characters.That is the right type of move for Richard and the IP. Sam didn't hurt the IP, Richard not being in stories like Infinity, Infinity Wars and even something like Secret Empire that is what really hurt the character. When Richard shows up on Earth, Black Panther,Iron Man, Captain America should be talking to him like a peer not like a unknown hero or young hero who was New Warriors. What is missing from the character is the in universe respect and that is forced thing by company.