Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I would HATE being an editor in comics

The job sounds horrible, being in charge of several monthly books with several different creative teams. Set aside trying to get the stories to coincide with what ever master plan you have, I'm more speaking about trying to get writers and artists to meet deadlines.

I can't imagine trying to get a writer to "write faster! write more! write better!" Or tell an established artist "draw faster! draw more! Why have you only drawn 3 pages so far??"

No thank you.

I don't imagine that's how good editors spend their time.

They need to accept that some artists can't keep up with the pace of a monthly book and handle that - whether that's by only using that artist on shorter projects, arranging fill-in artists, or accepting that the book will come out slowly.

Personally, I think it sounds like a very interesting and challenging job. And yeah, the best editors know how to work with what he or she has, knows how to bring out the best in their team while being able to come up with creative solutions to whatever problem comes up. There is a lot of pride of accomplishment when a finished product is finally published.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

There would be good and bad.

For a comics fan, it would have to be rewarding to help make good material better.

There would also be disappointments whenever there's a tradeoff or an artistic compromise (IE- a story needs a new artist for a few pages to make a deadline, some continuity change complicates a plot point, a news event changes how a story will be perceived, etc.)

Deadlines will also be a problem, with letterers and colorists waiting on the artists, artists waiting on the writer, etc.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Have you read modern comics? According to certain YouTubers, being an editor these days consists mostly of glancing over the pages and telling the person how stunning and brave they are and then going on political Twitter tirades. I could totally get paid a livable wage to do that! :P

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    The job sounds horrible, being in charge of several monthly books with several different creative teams. Set aside trying to get the stories to coincide with what ever master plan you have, I'm more speaking about trying to get writers and artists to meet deadlines.

I can't imagine trying to get a writer to "write faster! write more! write better!" Or tell an established artist "draw faster! draw more! Why have you only drawn 3 pages so far??"

No thank you.
    I think you described a senior editor or an editor in chief tasks.

The job is probably stressful, but I'd like to try my hands at being an E.I.C.. But I hope that my decisions won't harm the company in the long run; "Make fewer events, don't cross characters by making a story begin in one's title and end in another's, etc"
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage