Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will DC ever reprint Robinson's Starman?

I've been trying to re-read the series and have Vols. 1-2 of Omnibus but Vol. 3 is very rare and hard to get *anywhere* for less than $150 at least.

With all the other collections and omnibuses DC has put out in recent years, Starman feels like a glaring omission.

Does anyone know the reason for this? Or if DC has any plans to rerelease the series somehow?

DC started reprinted the omnibi in cheap paperback volumes, but it was solicited twice and cancelled for low pre-orders. There doesn't seem to be enough demand for it to be reprinted.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I bought the entire run PLUS the first TPB from my local second hand bookstore for $80.00.
    I was pretty damn happy with that purchase.....
    I'm surprised there's a lack demand for this. Starman usually rates pretty high in reader polls for best run on a series.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

You should be able to find the individual trades of the vol 3 arcs for cheap on eBay. Hell I purchased the entire run of issues off eBay or the dollar bin of my comic shop. LOVE this series!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Mycomicshop has all ten TPBs in stock.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I hope so.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Depending on how much of Robinson's Starman run might impact the upcoming Stargirl series, it would probably be a good time to re-release his Starman run/OMNI's and the original Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E.S book .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Depending on how much of Robinson's Starman run might impact the upcoming Stargirl series, it would probably be a good time to re-release his Starman run/OMNI's and the original Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E.S book .
    YES!!!! While I feel Starman does get the love it deserves, Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E.S certainly does NOT get the love it deserves. Such an underrated series!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    You should be able to find the individual trades of the vol 3 arcs for cheap on eBay. Hell I purchased the entire run of issues off eBay or the dollar bin of my comic shop. LOVE this series!
    I love it too! That's why I'm so eager to re-read it so many years later.

Maybe I'd be able to find the relevant individual issues by shopping various LCS's in my city. I'll try that next.

On Amazon, eBay, and elsewhere Omnibus Vol. 3 starts at around $150 though every other omnibus is around $20-30. It's Vol. 3 that's so rare that its price is cost prohibitive.

If I can't find the single issues locally, I'll read them on comixology.

Thanks for the comments, y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is a great point. Maybe I'll hold out. I have a lot to read lately.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I love it too! That's why I'm so eager to re-read it so many years later.

Maybe I'd be able to find the relevant individual issues by shopping various LCS's in my city. I'll try that next.

On Amazon, eBay, and elsewhere Omnibus Vol. 3 starts at around $150 though every other omnibus is around $20-30. It's Vol. 3 that's so rare that its price is cost prohibitive.

If I can't find the single issues locally, I'll read them on comixology.

Thanks for the comments, y'all.
    Oh yeah you can definitely find those arcs/issues waaaaayyyy cheaper either at your LCS or eBay. By the way next month the DC Book of the Month Club will be starting Starman. Currently working our way through Kingdom Come if you are interested.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

All-New Member

Been an off and on comic collector for years. Loved Starman back in the day. Do the omni's also reprint the letters pages, like many of the Marvels do?
    Always liked reading Robinson's take on movies, collectibles etc. I have a nearly full set of floppies bagged, boarded, and boxed. May have to exhume them. Are all the trades still out there at a reasonable price? I see a couple of the omni's are pretty high, especially for stuff I already own.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Oh yeah you can definitely find those arcs/issues waaaaayyyy cheaper either at your LCS or eBay. By the way next month the DC Book of the Month Club will be starting Starman. Currently working our way through Kingdom Come if you are interested.
    Where is this book club?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Where is this book club?
    Unfortunately, it didn’t have much participation and we didn’t even make it through the first book. However, I would be willing to give it another go. I think the thread was called DC Book of the Month Club?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think the big problem is that Robinson's star has faded, pardon the pun, and Starman is C-to-B list at best as a character, so despite the quality of the run it gets overlooked by most fans. Only the more dedicated fans will choose to purchase it instead of, say, the classics regarding the A-List. Most newer fans will take a while before they deep dive into stuff like Robinson's Starman, Morrison's Doom Patrol, Johns' JSA, etc. Granted, all of those are subject to boosts from the shows coming out, but by-and-large, without multimedia appeal, it's hard to convince someone to drop cash on Starman when they could get, say, Batman: Year One or All-Star Superman.

Once they do, however, I think they'll greatly enjoy it. Hopefully DC Universe updating its library soon will expose fans to those other works in a more affordable manner and they'll grow to love and want copies all their own.